Jrye22

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I had sent an email to S&B about their cold air intake at this time it doesn’t apeer they are making one does anyone else know of compneys that make cold air intakes?
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I had sent an email to S&B about their cold air intake at this time it doesn’t apeer they are making one does anyone else know of compneys that make cold air intakes?
I don't know of anyone making one yet, but I do know that the intakes they are putting on these new ecoboost vehicles are pretty darn good on their own. The Focus ST, the RS, and whatnot are using similar intakes, and don't need to be upgraded unless you A. Like the noise, or B. Want to install a big turbo.

There are a few drop in filters available though, I'm not partial to the oiled filters, but then again, my truck is not your truck.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
CAIs are BS, any stock airbox/throttle body will support more power than you will ever make until you get to the point of increasing fuel GPM usage

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
CAIs are BS, any stock airbox/throttle body will support more power than you will ever make until you get to the point of increasing fuel GPM usage
Interesting comment about CAI. Since this thread one has appeared on the market which does thru dyno appear to add some 9 HP higher in the RPM range. In terms of CAI in general I was reading the description of the Rousch CAI ?(none for Ranger yet() on their site and they do not make any claims of increases in HP or TQ only say in part “ provides more efficient air intake than the stock airbox. Providing up to 25% less intake restriction than stock in forced induction applications.” Interesting to note that all of their mod levels start with a CAI including those for the 2.7 Ecoboost motors. Aren’t they doing this for a reason?

Here is what is out now that I’ve found:

https://afepower.com/afe-power-53-10021r-quantum-pro-5r-cold-air-intake-system#overview

sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Claybuster
Vehicle Showcase
. . . and here we go.:crackup:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting comment about CAI. Since this thread one has appeared on the market which does thru dyno appear to add some 9 HP higher in the RPM range. In terms of CAI in general I was reading the description of the Rousch CAI ?(none for Ranger yet() on their site and they do not make any claims of increases in HP or TQ only say in part “ provides more efficient air intake than the stock airbox. Providing up to 25% less intake restriction than stock in forced induction applications.” Interesting to note that all of their mod levels start with a CAI including those for the 2.7 Ecoboost motors. Aren’t they doing this for a reason?

Here is what is out now that I’ve found:

https://afepower.com/afe-power-53-10021r-quantum-pro-5r-cold-air-intake-system#overview

Of course AFE says cold air intakes are the answer to power salvation... All you will do is allow more dirt in your turbo (sanding the turbo vanes decreases their efficiency), improve the near instant spool of the OE turbo by .25 seconds, and spend a bunch of money letting the potential next owner of your car know that you were a power junky.

Look at what the mustang and RS come with factory, and look at their power levels... Ours is fine until you need auxiliary fuel, and have a GTX3067R under the hood.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'm really surprised their marketing material doesn't say "please just give us money, even though this thing we're selling is basically useless--we made it because we knew some people would buy it anyway". :confused:

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Of course AFE says cold air intakes are the answer to power salvation... All you will do is allow more dirt in your turbo (sanding the turbo vanes decreases their efficiency), improve the near instant spool of the OE turbo by .25 seconds, and spend a bunch of money letting the potential next owner of your car know that you were a power junky.

Look at what the mustang and RS come with factory, and look at their power levels... Ours is fine until you need auxiliary fuel, and have a GTX3067R under the hood.
Thanks you have convinced me- I think I understand the concept that in essence there is nothing to do with the extra air unless there is more fuel. It just seems odd that someone as big as Rousch would use them on even stage 1 that only includes the CAI on the 2.7 etc., in addition of course to the suspension mods.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks you have convinced me- I think I understand the concept that in essence there is nothing to do with the extra air unless there is more fuel. It just seems odd that someone as big as Rousch would use them on even stage 1 that only includes the CAI on the 2.7 etc., in addition of course to the suspension mods.
They put it on a stage 1 build to sell a bunch of CAIs that most of us will never “really” need

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase

AFE intakes do not let sand in. This is a long perpetuated myth. I have UOAs that prove it.

Install an intake wrong, like not putting a clamp on the PCV breather tube, could let dust in. A properly installed washable filter will not.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Filters that flow more let in more dirt, it's physics. I suppose of the AFE filter has the same size holes as the factory paper filter (which I doubt), but is physically bigger, you may be correct. All I'm saying is it's cool for some extra noise, but can definitely shorten the life of some components, mostly the turbo blades, and oil. I'd probably use one of their ProGuard filters, but I'd shorten the oil change interval (personal preference).

I'll never again use an oil style filter though due to me finding fine dust in my intake using a Green Filter.

Everyone is free to use whatever filter they want, but don't expect noticeable horsepower from this product alone.

Cav10x

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL, 2019 VW Atlas Premium
I had an air scoop and CAI on my Focus ST. After install I did seem to get better MPG on the highway and I felt like acceleration increased. Maybe acceleration was jedi mind trick but the MPG increase was real.

That being said I don't think I will pay $300 for a truck CAI.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2012 Edge 2.0 EB. Used the CAI and throttle response was better and gas mileage seemed more stable. Other than that don't think it's worth the noise. Won't be doing it on my Ranger

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)