First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
A little bit of porting and polishing on the old intake scoop. Might try to take a little more off when I have time.

20210127_151049.jpg
I really need a dragy to keep track of the dumb shit I do... but here is a 0-100 of before and after I ported the intake scoop. The post port is on the right and it actually out paces the pre port video by 100. Which confirms my butt dyno readings.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I really need a dragy to keep track of the dumb shit I do... but here is a 0-100 of before and after I ported the intake scoop. The post port is on the right and it actually out paces the pre port video by 100. Which confirms my butt dyno readings.
Hi Alex,

There is no such thing as a butt dyno....It is referred to as a Calibrated Assometer!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Found the instructions for the K&N intake. Does NOT have velocity stack like the Airaid does. So K&N has advantage of larger scoop inlet, larger scoop to air box inlet, and air box volume (looks bigger than factory box, which is pretty big) but the Airaid has a 6” velocity stack. Videos below show how effective velocity stacks are at WOT for those interested.

http://kandn.com/instructions/63-2612_inst.pdf

I think either option is a good upgrade over stock air box / scoop design.

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
Found the instructions for the K&N intake. Does NOT have velocity stack like the Airaid does. So K&N has advantage of larger scoop inlet, larger scoop to air box inlet, and air box volume (looks bigger than factory box, which is pretty big) but the Airaid has a 6” velocity stack. Videos below show how effective velocity stacks are at WOT for those interested.

Thanks for sharing if I had a dyno thats exactly what I would be doing daily.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

If you look at a better picture of the filter adapter for the K&N kit online, you will see that it has a velocity stack (as much as they can fit in the box) shape to it which is common in K&N kits. It mates to the large filter outlet and provides and nice velocity inducing smooth inlet to the reduced size of the outlet of the box. Every K&N kit I have seen for quite a few years now is like this and it really does seem to make a difference. I have included a pic that is with the listing for the Ranger kit. It is actually a different kit they show, but it is a exploded view of their connections that shows the adapter I am talking about. This is common K&N construction.

Not saying K&N has the best intake around, but they do offer a darned good one.

1612977880451.png

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
If you look at a better picture of the filter adapter for the K&N kit online, you will see that it has a velocity stack (as much as they can fit in the box) shape to it which is common in K&N kits. It mates to the large filter outlet and provides and nice velocity inducing smooth inlet to the reduced size of the outlet of the box. Every K&N kit I have seen for quite a few years now is like this and it really does seem to make a difference. I have included a pic that is with the listing for the Ranger kit. It is actually a different kit they show, but it is a exploded view of their connections that shows the adapter I am talking about. This is common K&N construction.

Not saying K&N has the best intake around, but they do offer a darned good one.

1612977880451.png
I have been trying to follow this mod for quite a while and K/N still shows as not currently available/sold out both on their site and on Amazon. It is the one I leaning towards but can't get one at least that I know of. Hope to add a few more HP to my '19 that has the FP tune and Borla exhaust.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have been trying to follow this mod for quite a while and K/N still shows as not currently available/sold out both on their site and on Amazon. It is the one I leaning towards but can't get one at least that I know of. Hope to add a few more HP to my '19 that has the FP tune and Borla exhaust.
I personally just have a drop in filter, a larger scoop that is available from AFE, and I have opened up the panel behind the grille that seals with the hood to allow more air to be directed towards the scoop and I am probably not far off of what these kits give in real world gains. Would I buy one if I had the money to throw at it? Maybe, but I will spend that money in other places first. They all look like nice kits, but weigh the gains and what your plans are with the amount of money spent first. Everything is just so expensive now for minimal gains in most cases. It sucks because if is fun to modify, but nowadays I am a lot more careful where I spend my cash. This comes from a person who has spent uncounted dollars on my old Mustang, Lightning, and 2 Mazdaspeed 3s now. So...

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally just have a drop in filter, a larger scoop that is available from AFE, and I have opened up the panel behind the grille that seals with the hood to allow more air to be directed towards the scoop and I am probably not far off of what these kits give in real world gains. Would I buy one if I had the money to throw at it? Maybe, but I will spend that money in other places first. They all look like nice kits, but weigh the gains and what your plans are with the amount of money spent first. Everything is just so expensive now for minimal gains in most cases. It sucks because if is fun to modify, but nowadays I am a lot more careful where I spend my cash. This comes from a person who has spent uncounted dollars on my old Mustang, Lightning, and 2 Mazdaspeed 3s now. So...
I hear that....in the olden days the saying was that every extra HP costs more than the one before. I already have done almost all I want, Line-X, Bakflip cover, mud flaps, tune and Borla. So this is maybe next. I am also trying to understand suspension improvements but don't want bigger tires or offset but think I would add some Bilstein front only to level the back to front angle. I had an '02 Mustang GT and all I did was add the Borla, amazing that the Rangers even unmodified will leave them in the dust.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Got the AirRaid installed tonight! I'm impressed with the quality, but its kind of rough around the edges. A few of the holes has burrs around the edges so bolts couldn't go all the way through. The scoop/inlet has a little extra material around the lip, almost looks like a leftover from a 3d printing process. I could definitely open the mouth a bit more with a dremel.

20210126_171521.jpg
Looking at the stock snorkle and the area they didn't utilize like every aftermarket design does one wonders why the restriction?

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Looking at the stock snorkle and the area they didn't utilize like every aftermarket design does one wonders why the restriction?
I wondered that too and only thought I had was it must be based on cost of production in the 3D printing or molding process.

Plus K&N can’t let a child company like Airaid have a more polished and better performing intake than their parent brand version.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it is actually sold out. Probably just not quite done with production yet or they are waiting to build up stock before it actually goes on sale. I get a discount on K&N through work so I may have to check this out. Looks like they have their own snorkel too so unfortunately my afe snorkel I got for Christmas would have to come off.
I keep looking and this thing is showing sold out :( Guess I will call them). The reason I am not getting the Roush is K/N claim of +14 HP and Roush no HP gain but +8 torque. Every time I try to understand the relationship between HP and torque it's like there are bees in my brain....but it interesting that two similar products make two different claims.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I keep looking and this thing is showing sold out :( Guess I will call them). The reason I am not getting the Roush is K/N claim of +14 HP and Roush no HP gain but +8 torque. Every time I try to understand the relationship between HP and torque it's like there are bees in my brain....but it interesting that two similar products make two different claims.
Key word in that statement is ”claim”.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
There is no correlation. One is real, the other is calculated.

Torque is measured. It is real, like anything else that you can measure.

HP is calculated using the torque and rpm.
It is not real as there is unlimited RPM that can be plugged into the equation.

HP = torque x RPM/5252
Sponsored