Anybody planning to lower their 2019 Ranger?

bkurtin

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
Any news on lowering options for the 2019 Ford Ranger? Surely there are more than two or three of us that are interested in a lowered Ranger?
I'm at the fourth who's interested in lowering the rear of my 2019 Ranger> Any luck finding a kit?
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
What we need is a 2" rear drop kit, stand alone. not trying to make a low rider....

I suppose if you can get them to sell you just the rear flip kit, you could then just add some rear arched multi-leafs and achieve the 2" lowering pretty easy.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Hi, new guy following this thread with interest. It seems there are more than a few owners (myself included) just looking to drop the sky-high rear a few inches. Just spitballing here:

What about hooking up a heavy spring/threaded turnbuckle on each side and then adjusting the rear down to the desired height?

This would preload the bed without the weight penalty, and the heavy spring would offset some of the increased suspension load to keep the ride civilized. Other advantages are simple install, adjustment and removal. Also stock components and suspension geometry are retained.

Of course, it would take a little fiddling to figure out the hardware and attachment points, but that shouldn't be too tough. Thoughts?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Hi, new guy following this thread with interest. It seems there are more than a few owners (myself included) just looking to drop the sky-high rear a few inches. Just spitballing here:

What about hooking up a heavy spring/threaded turnbuckle on each side and then adjusting the rear down to the desired height?

This would preload the bed without the weight penalty, and the heavy spring would offset some of the increased suspension load to keep the ride civilized. Other advantages are simple install, adjustment and removal. Also stock components and suspension geometry are retained.

Of course, it would take a little fiddling to figure out the hardware and attachment points, but that shouldn't be too tough. Thoughts?
It would ride like it had no suspension at all... actually worse than that. When you hit a bump the springs would compress, then rebound up and hit the turnbuckle and knock the fillings out of your teeth.

Last edited:

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
A 2 inch lowered rear would be great from my point of view. Hopefully someone will offer a kit.
A 2" lowering kit would be cost prohibitive for such a mild drop.

Only way would have to include new springs and the freight to get them to the consumer.

Well, not 100% true..... Stock springs with crazy long lift shackles would work, possibly with stability issues. And, I guess a heavy mod with the springs beside the frame rather than under could be worked out.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
A 2" lowering kit would be cost prohibitive for such a mild drop.

Only way would have to include new springs and the freight to get them to the consumer.

Well, not 100% true..... Stock springs with crazy long lift shackles would work, possibly with stability issues. And, I guess a heavy mod with the springs beside the frame rather than under could be worked out.
2” drop ain’t enough to justify the money spent, I did a 6 “ rear drop just to make it level...
Regards
Doc

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
It would ride like it had no suspension at all... actually worse than that. When you hit a bump the springs would compress, then rebound up and hit the turnbuckle and knock the fillings out of your teeth.
Respectively disagree on both points. The preloaded leaf spring will stiffen the ride which the auxiliary spring (pulling in other direction) would help negate. Shock damping would be unchanged. As far as the turnbuckle hitting anything, would not happen due to constant preload from the auxiliary spring. You could achieve same result with the spring alone, but turnbuckle gives you ability to adjust the ride height as desired.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Respectively disagree on both points. The preloaded leaf spring will stiffen the ride which the auxiliary spring (pulling in other direction) would help negate. Shock damping would be unchanged. As far as the turnbuckle hitting anything, would not happen due to constant preload from the auxiliary spring. You could achieve same result with the spring alone, but turnbuckle gives you ability to adjust the ride height as desired.
The auxiliary spring will be so stiff it won't effectively be a spring at all. Therefore it will be like cinching your truck down on a trailer, and then expecting it to still ride the same.

But hey, prove me wrong. Feel free to GitRDone ;)

Last edited:

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Why not just a Flip kit with some arched multi-leafs.? Doesn't sound that prohibitive?
That's what I thought till I tried to go down that path.

OME multi leafs and freight add up quick. Local spring company wanted even more than the OME, but at least without the freight.

The path I took added up pretty quick too. Used OEM springs, freight, re-arching plus the bits to flip. Shorter rear shocks added in and the tab was pushing a grand. Not bad for a 2/4 drop, but steep if you only went down 2 in the back.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
The auxiliary spring will be so stiff it won't effectively be a spring at all. Therefore it will be like cinching your truck down on a trailer, and then expecting it to still ride the same.
I do expect the ride to be stiffer, not necessarily a bad thing with the reduced suspension travel. You make a good point though with the spring limiting rebound enough to be a problem. Back to the crayons and drawing board.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc