First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I could not agree more. There are so many people in financial trouble.

My wife and I wised up @ 15 years ago. We had a boat, travel trailer, off-road toys, and she horses that we were boarding. We were living paycheck to paycheck and we realized this was not sustainable. We had way too much debt! One of our main goals was to put both kids through college. and we realized something had to change. So, around 15 years ago, we sold all the toys, and just about ended up giving the horses away. At least the boat, camper and off-road toys had resale value. So, we didn't do too bad on selling those, but we lost our shirts on the horses. It took a while to bail out of that debt, but once we got rid of the horse boarding bills and Arabian Horse show charges, we were able to regain financial control. At the time, I was not too happy about selling my toys. but looking back, that was the smartest financial decision we ever made. It is a huge relief when you get hit with a major bill, and the money to cover it is in the saving account.
It's never fun when your money is spent before you get it. I was very undisciplined until about 20 years ago. After a divorce an paying that off I didn't have much left so I bought a cheap condo an lived there dirt cheap for 17 years. I did buy a Harley but it was used an not much for an HD. My daughter's ex was a financial nightmare. They had 3 cars for 2 drivers, a toy hauler, several four wheelers, a razer side by side, nice house in the country. She just liked to shop an get a new car every 2 years. Every check was gone before it came. They got bailed out by the hot housing market. They sold the house with a few acres an big barn an had enough left over to sell off the toys at a loss with loans on them then start over fresh with a few bucks left. She learned from it, him I don't think so.
Sponsored

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
It's never fun when your money is spent before you get it. I was very undisciplined until about 20 years ago. After a divorce an paying that off I didn't have much left so I bought a cheap condo an lived there dirt cheap for 17 years. I did buy a Harley but it was used an not much for an HD. My daughter's ex was a financial nightmare. They had 3 cars for 2 drivers, a toy hauler, several four wheelers, a razer side by side, nice house in the country. She just liked to shop an get a new car every 2 years. Every check was gone before it came. They got bailed out by the hot housing market. They sold the house with a few acres an big barn an had enough left over to sell off the toys at a loss with loans on them then start over fresh with a few bucks left. She learned from it, him I don't think so.
Yea, living paycheck to paycheck is no fun. It sounds like your daughter was fortunate to get bailed out by the hot housing market. Where I have seen living paycheck to paycheck really hit hard is when there is a layoff. Working for large corporations, layoffs were somewhat common. I have been through so many layoffs. Thankfully, I have only been impacted twice. It can be a very traumatic experience when you see co-workers literally crying because they realize they may not be able to cover the bills. Seeing this happen really affected me. Because of this, my definition of financial stability is if I ever get laid off again, being a whole lot more interested in any severance pay and not having a concern about meeting monthly bills.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Where I have seen living paycheck to paycheck really hit hard is when there is a layoff.
My brother is retired from Ford. He used to get deals buying stuff from people living beyond their means all the time. They'd buy a bunch of crap an when the overtime went away they couldn't pay their bills on 40 hours a week. Crazy. He transferred to a newer plant when his closed taking 30 years seniority with him. There were new hires running out an buying $50K trucks left an right. He warned them when there's a slow down they could and would get laid off. Some learned the hard way.

OP
OP
LT Dangle

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FX4 (RIP), 21 Tremor, 20 Edge ST, Couple HD's
Occupation
Trophy Husband / "Sanitation Worker" / Army Vet
They should of just taken your Vin and got all the option from that and compared them to a similar one. 🤦‍♂️ Glad to see they upped the price for you.

Have you found anything out about the incoming Tremor that was local?
No word on the Tremor yet. Its not a dealer I would normally use (its a "no haggle" dealer that also loves charging mark ups) but a friend has connections there so he working on it for me.

So was that amount close to true market/replacement value?
I was hoping for more but I suppose its pretty close.

Glad that you weren't injured and appears a resolution is close at hand...Let us know when you get your Raptor, so we can live out our Raptor modding dreams with you! :handsinair:
The Raptor would be sweet but if I had my choice I get roughly the same thing I had (lariat, fx4, 501A) with the 2.7TT. but those are still at least 6 months away.

Sorry for the delay in the responses, but Ive been away on vacation. Hopefully this will all get settled soon.

OP
OP
LT Dangle

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Brett, Just checking to see how you're making out on your loss? Were you able to get the Tremor? Hopefully the Insurance went through without a hassle.
Unfortunately, not well.
Still haven't gotten paid from the insurance company yet... and the dealer that has the Tremor is insisting on $3500 over sticker.... so naturally, they can go pound salt.

My new thing is looking for a 6-12 month beater that'll carry me over till I can order a new Ranger with the 2.7 TT v6

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Unfortunately, not well.
Still haven't gotten paid from the insurance company yet... and the dealer that has the Tremor is insisting on $3500 over sticker.... so naturally, they can go pound salt.

My new thing is looking for a 6-12 month beater that'll carry me over till I can order a new Ranger with the 2.7 TT v6
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Insurance and the dealer. It's frustrating enough having to deabmwith an accident (especially when it's not your fault) but having these issues just makes thing more miserable. Hopefully you can get it straightened out soon! Maybe there's another 5G around close by for you? IIRC the 2.7 V6 won't be coming out right away when the 6G is launched. Good luck my friend!!

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Unfortunately, not well.

Amazing, they are firm at $3500 over sticker and they still have the truck!

OP
OP
LT Dangle

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So........ I scoured the area over the last few months. long story short.... Looks like I have to go with a pre-owned ranger.
My leading 2 choices right now are:

-2021 w/ 33K miles, 501a lariat Tremor in black (which i love to look at but hate to own) for $39k at a local dealer

or

-2022 w/ 14k miles, 501a lariat Tremor in blue. (Ford CPO'd) $42k at a dealer about 150 miles from me

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on 2021 vs. 2022?? (my previous ranger was a 21 lariat fx4)

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger Lariat Tech Pkg Tremor
So........ I scoured the area over the last few months. long story short.... Looks like I have to go with a pre-owned ranger.
My leading 2 choices right now are:

-2021 w/ 33K miles, 501a lariat Tremor in black (which i love to look at but hate to own) for $39k at a local dealer

or

-2022 w/ 14k miles, 501a lariat Tremor in blue. (Ford CPO'd) $42k at a dealer about 150 miles from me

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on 2021 vs. 2022?? (my previous ranger was a 21 lariat fx4)
I would not pay even MSRP for one of these... Let alone over it. Some of these dealers are crazy.

Have you looked used on Auto Trader. I almost bought this when I was looking.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/685981197

OP
OP
LT Dangle

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
yeah, thats where I've been doing most of my looking. most of the Lariat Rangers within 200 miles are $41-43K. Book values are around 40 so I've gotta talk with both dealers I posted and see what kind of deal I can get.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
yeah, thats where I've been doing most of my looking. most of the Lariat Rangers within 200 miles are $41-43K. Book values are around 40 so I've gotta talk with both dealers I posted and see what kind of deal I can get.
Fly down to Florida, buy one, and ship/drive it back. asking 38k, 501, CPO and 31K on the miles. Get an out the door price, and figure if it worth the hassle. weekend after thanksgiving is a great time in FL to buy a vehicle - everyone just paid their property tax bill, and Christmas is around the corner. Deals will be had.

1700246962424.png

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
least expensive tremor Lariat w/48k mileage....
1700247786818.png

and its twin. CPO.
1700247929719.png

the build sheet for -2
1700248096727.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
LT Dangle

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fly down to Florida, buy one, and ship/drive it back. asking 38k, 501, CPO and 31K on the miles. Get an out the door price, and figure if it worth the hassle. weekend after thanksgiving is a great time in FL to buy a vehicle - everyone just paid their property tax bill, and Christmas is around the corner. Deals will be had.

1700246962424.png

very similar to the one i posted. Theres 1 dealer near me who just got in a 2021 w/ 33k for $38500, but its in black..... I love Black, its beautiful.....for the 5 minutes its clean..... so not my favorite choice.
the 2022 i posted is blue, which i like (although i would prefer white) and only has 14K on it. its about 180ish miles from me but close to family, so I'd justify making the trip.

At the end of the day, youre not the first person to suggest really travelling to find one, but I just dont have the stones to buy a car that far away sight unseen. I know plenty of people do it with great success but it just a pill I have a hard time swallowing.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
very similar to the one i posted. Theres 1 dealer near me who just got in a 2021 w/ 33k for $38500, but its in black..... I love Black, its beautiful.....for the 5 minutes its clean..... so not my favorite choice.
the 2022 i posted is blue, which i like (although i would prefer white) and only has 14K on it. its about 180ish miles from me but close to family, so I'd justify making the trip.

At the end of the day, youre not the first person to suggest really travelling to find one, but I just dont have the stones to buy a car that far away sight unseen. I know plenty of people do it with great success but it just a pill I have a hard time swallowing.
The one I posted for $32,995 is CPO. That is a hefty chunk of chedder you could save, and CPO travels back to NY. You do know we are here to buy your next truck for you, right? One last curve ball. Here is a roush XLT 302A 4wd FX4 for 38k w/ 5k mileage. If it was in white....
1700249212824.png
Sponsored

Last edited: