First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I bought one ranger new. Took it back and lost money on a trade in because it smelled . Bought a new one and now samethingnis happenings
Our ranger had on offputting smell when running fan or AC for the first few days but it went away and never came back. Figured it was some new car/new chemical thing. Haven’t had problems in the subsequent 3k miles.
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
My truck had 3000 miles on it when I got it. It was the "loaner."
The dealer wanted to charge full price - I told him "it has 3000 miles of other peoples farts swimming around in my brand new truck! Hell its half way to an oil change and might need new seat cushions!"

He got friendly with the math and free add ons.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Kinda-sorta related. I've had mine since July 3rd 2019. Changed both the engine air and cabin air filters. Best deal was amazon BTW. Cabin air was filthy! must be doing a great job b/c I dont smoke, only have 12k on it now and only have windows open when its 60's to 80's degrees out... It was super easy and I sprayed some fabreeze in the duck before I closed it up. now I notice a huge difference. In hind-sight it was a bit musty but I was probably nose-blind to it.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
The OP, @Treeman1953 , Joined on June 16th. Made one cryptic post about his truck smelling, and hasn't been back since. I'm calling Time of Death on this thread 5:56 AM 06/19/2020. We will likely never know what the olfactory enhanced Treeman was thinking.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
Got a bit of a funky smell on start up but went away after a little while. Ran the AC for an hour driving around the day before. Normally i turn the AC off and run the fan on high for the last 10 minutes of the trip before turning off the truck. Helps dry up the condensation.

Alex K

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to figure out if this is a real thread or if we are just being trolled.

The only somewhat odd smell I can think of in mine is sometimes when I turn the heat on (rare occurrence here in FL) it smells like a combination of hot plastic and BO. It doesn't always happen though. Probably just built up dust on the heating coil I would guess.
Actually I have the EXACT same problem and can't stand it!! When I turn on the heat past 72, the air blowing in smells like a homeless person that hasn't bathed in months. It's really bad and can't stand it. Ford service said they couldn't find any problems. I'm very frustrated.

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew with STX package
Vehicle Showcase
Actually I have the EXACT same problem and can't stand it!! When I turn on the heat past 72, the air blowing in smells like a homeless person that hasn't bathed in months. It's really bad and can't stand it. Ford service said they couldn't find any problems. I'm very frustrated.
Is it only when you first start up, or the whole time while driving? Mine seems to go away after a little bit, although maybe I just get used to the smell, lol.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
Dead critter in the AC system?

adv_ranger

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student
I bought one ranger new. Took it back and lost money on a trade in because it smelled . Bought a new one and now samethingnis happenings
Hey there! Bought my new ranger back in february of 2020 and everytime I would turn on the A/C it would smell like burnt plastic. It has started happening less and less but sometimes it surprises me. It defeats the new car smell and well it smells like melted plastic. Not the nicest thing to have in a new truck!

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

CWOJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
No odors inside. I noticed a kind of burnt smell for awhile on the outside when I first bought, but figured it was because everything is new. I did notice a “bad fish like” smell the other day when I walked around the front of the truck and my daughter said she noticed it too, but once again outside the truck and thankfully not inside.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
No odors inside. I noticed a kind of burnt smell for awhile on the outside when I first bought, but figured it was because everything is new. I did notice a “bad fish like” smell the other day when I walked around the front of the truck and my daughter said she noticed it too, but once again outside the truck and thankfully not inside.
I had a chemical burning like smell on the outside as well after driving a bit at first that I noticed when I parked. But I figured that was because it only had 25 miles on it or so when I bought it. I don't know much about engineering but it was probably just new material getting hot via driving it. Lots of new parts with whatever chemical coating was on them getting hot over time and taking time to burn off. That's my guess at least. After the first few hundred miles it went away. Maybe it's like when you buy a new mattress that has been wrapped up and it has off-gassing for awhile that stinks but it goes away after a day or so.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had a chemical burning like smell on the outside as well after driving a bit at first that I noticed when I parked. But I figured that was because it only had 25 miles on it or so when I bought it. I don't know much about engineering but it was probably just new material getting hot via driving it. Lots of new parts with whatever chemical coating was on them getting hot over time and taking time to burn off. That's my guess at least. After the first few hundred miles it went away. Maybe it's like when you buy a new mattress that has been wrapped up and it has off-gassing for awhile that stinks but it goes away after a day or so.
Hi Mark,

You should see a new Ranger coming off the assembly line and driving to the chassis rolls for a brief run up....smoke pouring from underneath the vehicle being sucked in to these huge vents. It goes away quickly but you are spot on...."burning off protective coatings".

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Hi Mark,

You should see a new Ranger coming off the assembly line and driving to the chassis rolls for a brief run up....smoke pouring from underneath the vehicle being sucked in to these huge vents. It goes away quickly but you are spot on...."burning off protective coatings".

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,

I would have liked to see those run ups. Having read so many of your posts on various topics even before I bought my Ranger and joined here, and knowing your level expertise when it comes to Rangers, your confirming my hunch makes me feel smart now. :)

I really appreciate what you contribute to this message board as I am sure many others do as well.

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you that are too young to have smelled a new vehicle back in the dark ages before the plastic smell took over, the old cars had a great new vehicle smell. It was paint fumes. And another smell that was great was gas before they took out the lead. ?
Sponsored