Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Due to all this WFH'ing and Coviding My truck sits for two or three weeks at a time with out being driven. Easier for the wife to get in and out of her car so that's what we take most of the time.

Opened it for the first time in three weeks on Sunday and BAM Fresh New Car Smell and it has 12,349 miles on it. I can't tell you how many times I've ripped-ass in that truck and still smells new. I even had a dog pee in it so they shampooed the back seat. Still smells new.

And not just generically new like the air freshener a the car wash - Ford new. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who can tell there is a difference between Ford, Chevy, Toyota, & Nissan New Car Smell. They are distinct.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I can't tell you how many times I've ripped-ass in that truck and still smells new. I even had a dog pee in it so they shampooed the back seat. Still smells new.
TMI...

MrAnalog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I'm trying to figure out if this is a real thread or if we are just being trolled.

The only somewhat odd smell I can think of in mine is sometimes when I turn the heat on (rare occurrence here in FL) it smells like a combination of hot plastic and BO. It doesn't always happen though. Probably just built up dust on the heating coil I would guess.
Another vote for hot plastic smell from the heater.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Back in the good ol' days, we had a customer come in with a random kiinking sound coming from the right rear wheel area in a Mystique that only had a few hundred miles on it. Turned out to be a Mountain Dew can inside the rear door!
Old thread, I know. I worked for a company in the late 80's and early 90's that made trunk trim parts for GM and interior trim parts for Toyota and Ford. Toyota and GM used Reusable, returnable packaging that would be returned on the trucks picking up new parts. Often times when unloading the returned shipping containers, they would contain empty booze bottles. We would throw them in the trash. No big deal. If you ever wondered why your GM product fell apart, its probably due to the drunken line workers. One day, a new manager walked through the shipping dept and saw an empty booze bottle in the trash can and flipped out. Wanted to fire somebody. We laughed and asked him to look at the bottle closer. It was from Michigan. Not a Maine booze bottle. He calmed down a bit after that.

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX 2wd SuperCab, 2002 GMC Sierra
I wondered why my "new" '19 Ranger had such a good price. As soon as I opened the door, I knew one of the reasons- it reeks of cigarette smoke. I still feel like I got a good deal, but I've been working on getting the smell out. I searched the internet for ideas. I started with coffee grounds, then baking soda, OdoBan, along with spraying Lysol in the air intake. All of these seem to fix it at first, but only masks it for a short time until the next time I get in the truck. The last suggestion and most expensive, was to get an ozone generator. That's coming today on an Amazon truck, so I'll see how that works.

Last edited:

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
I wondered why my "new" '19 Ranger had such a good price. As soon as I opened the door, I knew one of the reasons- it reeks of cigarette smoke. I still feel like I got a good deal, but I've been working on getting the smell out. I searched the internet for ideas. I started with coffee grounds, then baking soda, along with spraying Lysol in the air intake. All of these seem to fix it at first, but only masks it for a short time until the next time I get in the truck. The last suggestion and most expensive, was to get an ozone generator. That's coming today on an Amazon truck, so I'll see how that works.
When I was in high school I would leave in taco bell over night to cover up any odors when I was a smoker. I doubt it worked. I was just a dumb teenager.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
My truck smells like the blue powerade I spilled in it DRIVING HOME FROM THE DEALER.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I wondered why my "new" '19 Ranger had such a good price. As soon as I opened the door, I knew one of the reasons- it reeks of cigarette smoke. I still feel like I got a good deal, but I've been working on getting the smell out. I searched the internet for ideas. I started with coffee grounds, then baking soda, along with spraying Lysol in the air intake. All of these seem to fix it at first, but only masks it for a short time until the next time I get in the truck. The last suggestion and most expensive, was to get an ozone generator. That's coming today on an Amazon truck, so I'll see how that works.
Have you tried Ozium air sanitizer. I've seen people claim it works great for cigarette smell in cars. But I really wonder about the long term benefit because that smoke smell can probably get really deep into material like the foam under the seat's upholstery. I've used it before in my old car not for smoke but because one summer stuff in my garbage can got really funky in the heat and it stunk up my car as well. I now keep my garbage can outside. It worked well for that. It kind of has a chemical citrus like smell at first but it goes away after a bit.

I know you said you ordered an ozone generator but you might try the Ozium first as a cheaper option and if it works return the generator. You can get a can of it on Amazon for about $13 bucks. Just a thought. I hope you find a solution. :)

Last edited:

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a truck 11 years ago that was in perfect used condition, except for the previous owner was a chain smoker. It smelled disgusting. I used baking soda and steam cleaned the carpet, changed the cabin filter, and used the ozone spray and it totally disappeared. Not sure which one of these things did it, perhaps it was a combination.

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX 2wd SuperCab, 2002 GMC Sierra
Have you tried Ozium air sanitizer. I've seen people claim it works great for cigarette smell in cars. I've used it before in my old car not for smoke but because one summer stuff in my garbage can got really funky in the heat and it stunk up my car as well. I now keep my garbage can outside. It worked well for that. It kind of has a chemical citrus like smell at first but it goes away after a bit.

I know you said you ordered an ozone generator but you might try the Ozium first as a cheaper option and if it works return the generator. You can get a can of it on Amazon for about $13 buck. Just a thought. I hope you find a solution. :)
I tried coffee grounds, baking soda, OdoBan, Lysol, air fresheners, etc. I have a new cabin air filter that will arrive tomorrow, so I'll change that (I pulled out the old dirty one already). I found a good deal on the ozone generator ($50) that I'll use elsewhere, so not a bad purchase. I'll run that this afternoon after it arrives and see how that goes. I feel confident that will all this, we'll be fine.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I tried coffee grounds, baking soda, OdoBan, Lysol, air fresheners, etc. I have a new cabin air filter that will arrive tomorrow, so I'll change that (I pulled out the old dirty one already). I found a good deal on the ozone generator ($50) that I'll use elsewhere, so not a bad purchase. I'll run that this afternoon after it arrives and see how that goes. I feel confident that will all this, we'll be fine.
The ozone generator should do the trick. My Forester had the same issue where the dealer masked the smoke smell but every time it would get hot the stench came back. Ozium didn't work so bought a small ozone generator and problem never returned. Have used the generator for other issues and it always works.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
now here in the more humid part of Texas you DO get a slight sour smell from what I can guess as moisture on the evaporator core. once the blower starts going good the smell is gone. I smell it but my wife doesn't. Our Honda does the same...less than 30 second and the smell is gone. It IS worse with her car since it sits more than my truck but its expected in our environment. I'm sure its just as bad in the bayou areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and further east here in Texas.
This is what i was thinking when I read it. Almost all cars I've stepped into it happens in WA state depending on humidity levels.