4x4 or FX4

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Does anyone know what “sport tuned suspension “ is in the FX4?

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Yup...Ford tuned "FX-4" shocks on (probably) stock springs

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
Bilstein shocks, locking diff., offroad mode ( which is kind of like off road cruise control, aka noob mode for people whom never learned in a real 4x4 ) badging package, and steel skid plates. Also I believe the fx4 comes pre-leveled in the front unlike my sport where it looks like its got a poopy diaper front end.

OP
OP
TheKracka

TheKracka

First Name
Klay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4/2005 xB
Occupation
I fix things not people
Yup...Ford tuned "FX-4" shocks on (probably) stock springs
Almost certain you are correct, "sport tuned" = shocks. Combed through parts lists and springs are listed by cab type and drive train. Shocks are listed by "standard" and "special suspension" and also drive train.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Bilstein shocks, locking diff., offroad mode ( which is kind of like off road cruise control, aka noob mode for people whom never learned in a real 4x4 ) badging package, and steel skid plates. Also I believe the fx4 comes pre-leveled in the front unlike my sport where it looks like its got a poopy diaper front end.
Definitely not pre-leveled.

My FX4 looked like it was constantly on the brakes as the front was always drooped.

If dealers would offer an installed leveling kit and alignment (around $200 cost to the dealer) they could sell it at $500 all day.

But of course the dealer wouldn't be able to stop there.

They'd add wheels/tires/graphics/"protection" packages ad nauseam and then tack on a $10k charge for the "Special Edition"

Jimmy637

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
I lease my vehicles, when returning them at the end of the lease they do not like it to be modified. This is one reason I purchased a ranger fully equipped for what I use them for. The next person to have my vehicle should be happy I did.

Last edited:

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
I lease my vehicles, when returning them at the end of the lease they do not like it to be unmodified. This is one reason I purchased a ranger fully equipped for what I use them for. The next person to have my vehicle should be happy I did.
Wait the dealer likes when you mod your lease vehicle's? Everytime I considered a lease and mentioned any sort of modifications the dealer always started getting all wishy washy, and a confused/worried look.

Definitely not pre-leveled.

My FX4 looked like it was constantly on the brakes as the front was always drooped.

If dealers would offer an installed leveling kit and alignment (around $200 cost to the dealer) they could sell it at $500 all day.

But of course the dealer wouldn't be able to stop there.

They'd add wheels/tires/graphics/"protection" packages ad nauseam and then tack on a $10k charge for the "Special Edition"
The couple I saw looked/where preleveled, but it could have been a dealer installed add-on, and I am 100% with you, if they offered a dealer installed leveling kit for like $599 with purchase of vehicle I would have handed them cash or my discover card right on the spot, made a service appointment and been a very happy buyer!

Jimmy637

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
Wait the dealer likes when you mod your lease vehicle's? Everytime I considered a lease and mentioned any sort of modifications the dealer always started getting all wishy washy, and a confused/worried look.

Aggreeed. Thanks for your reply I see i had a typo error should be "modified not unmodified"

The couple I saw looked/where preleveled, but it could have been a dealer installed add-on, and I am 100% with you, if they offered a dealer installed leveling kit for like $599 with purchase of vehicle I would have handed them cash or my discover card right on the spot, made a service appointment and been a very happy buyer!

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I know how this works. Get the FX4 or you will always want one.

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
To late now, not to mention in my area the few FX4s left where way over priced, and they weren't near as flexible on pricing, I went with the best bang for my buck, especially when forced to deal with my time restraints that prevent looking more thoroughly and spending even more negotiating OTD pricing. " Time = Money " and for me a couple more days to get an FX4 would have cost me a few $1000 in lost time, therefore making the price 2-3x of what the "option cost" was.

OP
OP
TheKracka

TheKracka

First Name
Klay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4/2005 xB
Occupation
I fix things not people
You're absolutely right! Especially since I plan on using the 4wd for more than commuting through snow.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
Most guys get the FX4 package for the sticker on the back fender. I don't care about such things.

The only thing I wanted out of the FX4 package was the rear locker and, fortunately for me, you can get this as a stand-alone option, so that is what I did and that is what I recommend.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Most guys get the FX4 package for the sticker on the back fender. I don't care about such things.

The only thing I wanted out of the FX4 package was the rear locker and, fortunately for me, you can get this as a stand-alone option, so that is what I did and that is what I recommend.
well, the bash plates and terrain management are no small thing...saving the FX-4 suspension for any aftermarket investment (and any decent coilover/shock combo will set you off at least $1200); so, to me the FX-4 makes sense

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4