Ranger vs. F-150: CC, 4x4 Pricing

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
If I lived in a suburb or rural area and shopped at strip malls or big box stores or other places with actual parking lots I would consider a 1/2 ton. Where I live in DC the 1/2 tons are just too wide. Here it's parking garages and parallel parking and small shopping centers with tight rows. Owning a full size truck would be a hassle in some way shape or form every single time I took it out. The Midsize trucks still provide the ability to tow, haul and off-road along with some performance in snow. Where I live a Midsize makes sense and I am happy to pay more for a well appointed one that doesn't annoy me every time I get groceries or go out to eat. I'm square within the target market for a midsize.
I can appreciate this even though I live in a vastly different place. I live in a mountain town in the Black Hills of South Dakota and although I like my F150 it is a total pain in the rear end day to day. The streets are narrow enough in the residential neighborhoods that if there are cars parked on side of the streets you have to wait your turn to go past. Parking is tight everywhere and even being able to back into my driveway takes 3-4 forward-reverse movements when someone parks directly across from it on the street. I like my F150, but curse it daily getting around here.

The most popular vehicles up here are pretty much small and midsize SUVs and CUVs, Subarus, Jeeps, and plenty of Tacomas and Colorados. Sure there are also plenty of full size pickups and some full size SUVs, but not nearly what you find down off the mountain.

So for me the trimmer size of the Ranger is going to be great! I can't wait to have that size of pickup living up here. Sure there are a lot of incentives on the F150 (if you can qualify for all of them), but if you compare a Ranger XLT or Lariat with the same cab style and same options there is a fairly significant difference in MSRP compared to an F150. The Ranger will eventually get some incentives as well, but it's rare for a new model to have many of them. Once they sell to everyone that "has to have" one if sales soften a bit there will be some cash on the hood.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus ST 2018 F150 Lariat
I am getting closer to buying a truck and have been sniffing around the local dealerships. Basically, I am looking for a crew cab, 4x4 on the lower end of the trim spectrum and was leaning towards a Ranger. I have been following the truck for months now.

The Ranger pricing is interesting in comparison to a F-150 of similar trim.

Example: The least expensive CC, 4x4's on the lot, and they have many of them.
Ranger: $35,400 (several), $37,800, etc...
F-150: $34,900, $35,200, $35,400, $35,600, etc...

I am struggling with the idea of buying a lot less truck for more cost and why anyone would, unless they just have to have the Ranger over a F-150 for whatever reason they have. The posted fuel economy is fairly similar, so that really is not a big game changer. The Ranger is less capable in every way (other than needing a smaller rig for off-roading) and has a lot less room...a lot less room.

Sigh, I suppose that is how the ball rolls with a new design, but what a bummer.
If you really want to compare prices on like vehicles, you should be pricing the Ranger against a SuperCab F-150. It gives about the same legroom as the Ranger CrewCab.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
If you really want to compare prices on like vehicles, you should be pricing the Ranger against a SuperCab F-150. It gives about the same legroom as the Ranger CrewCab.
I looked at a crewcab Ranger before signing the papers for the supercab F150. I would say there is a little more room in the F150 with the seats as far back as they could go. Not too much more but three people would probably be a little more comfortable in the backseat of the F150. Now the crewcab F150 is gigantic.

I went through the same debate as the OP before choosing to go with the F150. My two choices were comparable. Both XLTs with 302A, 4WD and supercab. I did have the FX4 package on the Ranger. I still ended up with remote start, bed liner, steps, and the windows were already tinted. It has the 2.7L V6 with a 10-speed transmission. It feels faster than my Ecoboost Mustang.

If I had waited for my Ranger and purchased the same warranties I would have paid just shy of 4000 more for the Ranger. There are some good deals on the remaining 2018 F150s.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at a crewcab Ranger before signing the papers for the supercab F150. I would say there is a little more room in the F150 with the seats as far back as they could go. Not too much more but three people would probably be a little more comfortable in the backseat of the F150. Now the crewcab F150 is gigantic.

I went through the same debate as the OP before choosing to go with the F150. My two choices were comparable. Both XLTs with 302A, 4WD and supercab. I did have the FX4 package on the Ranger. I still ended up with remote start, bed liner, steps, and the windows were already tinted. It has the 2.7L V6 with a 10-speed transmission. It feels faster than my Ecoboost Mustang.

If I had waited for my Ranger and purchased the same warranties I would have paid just shy of 4000 more for the Ranger. There are some good deals on the remaining 2018 F150s.
Yeah, but you are getting a vehicle that is essentially one model year old. When we bought our 2004 Explorer, it was the same situation and we got a GREAT deal on it (like 30% off MSRP - about 12k as I recall). The bottom line is that it is already worth less due to depreciation since it is last years model. So it isn't quite a fair comparison to compare prices to a 2019.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
I've driven my SCab F150 for over 10 years and while I have learned to maneuver it in tight spots and avoid narrow parking spaces, I have come to realize it really would be nice to have a slightly smaller truck for daily driving. The fact the the new F-150 are about 25% larger than my model seals the deal for me. I think we have come to think of bigger as better but sometimes if you step back and examine what you actually need from a vehicle you may find smaller can win out. That said, I think the new F-150's are awesome for anyone that chooses to go that route. The RAM 1500's are trash though :crackup:

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Yeah, but you are getting a vehicle that is essentially one model year old. When we bought our 2004 Explorer, it was the same situation and we got a GREAT deal on it (like 30% off MSRP - about 12k as I recall). The bottom line is that it is already worth less due to depreciation since it is last years model. So it isn't quite a fair comparison to compare prices to a 2019.
I only compared them because that is what the OP is doing and I just went through it myself. I drove both vehicles and they are certainly comparable. If the pricing difference wasn't as much I could have honestly flipped a coin to decide which one to get. I like everything about the Ranger that I built. They are both great trucks.

I didn't look at what is offered on the 2019 F150s until after buying the truck. From what I could tell there are a few new colors, they deleted the CD player, added a diesel engine option, and added more tech to the Lariats. If I was going with 2019 I would have impatiently waited for my Ranger.

I never consider a vehicle to be an investment. They all depreciate way too fast. There were quite a few unhappy 2015 Mustang buyers about a year into their purchases. I read the post and just knew going into it that it was out my control. I would have had to put over $6k down to avoid depreciation on the Mustang. If I had done that and sold it today I would probably be out the same amount. I'm planning to just keep it forever. I kept my last truck for 12 years. Hopefully, this new one will last just as long.

Completely unrelated but... whoever runs Ranger5G and Mustang6G needs to create an F150 forum. I've yet to find one that compares to this format. I've been spoiled and the forums I checked out just don't meet these standards.

Julie dominesey

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt fx4 and a 2018 Ford f 150 xlt fx4
Like you I really just don't want an F150. It kinda sucks that the street price on the F150 after rebates is more like $46k, which suggests that eventually Ford will turn a knob and make the Ranger dramatically cheaper also, but it's a choice to either buy now or wait even longer. A lot of people talk like "look how much more truck you can get" and don't seem to get that it's just too much truck. I'm glad Ford finally figured that out and realized that some people just don't want the F150. I suspect their upcoming mini truck will do well also, even though the big truck guys won't understand why. The only thing I wish they'd change is to add a 2 seater option.
The sticker on my supercab f 150 fx4 2018 was 50055... I paid after incentives 42500.. 3.5 twin turbo .. lots of tech , navigation , max towing max payload etc ... basically loaded but missing adaptive cruise controllers blis and leather ... now for my ranger ... supercab fx4 xlt .. has blis, has adaptive cruise control has navigation .. no friggin CD player!!!.. tge sticker was 42500.. I beat there ass and got it down to 41300. .. best I could do in Virginia Beach Virginia , this f I went to Ashland I would have done only 500 better... ranger has more tech ..and is a crew .. tge supercab ranger is tiny back there but I wish I had driven the bigger truck today because that 5 foot bed was lacking when I picked up shelves .. the point is you get a ranger cuz you want a ranger .. a nice supercab f150 is almost same money as a ranger .. I’ve proved that .. if I had to choose based on value for dollar I would get the f 150 all day .. but I did not have to choose I have both ... big truck for traveling big jobs towing camper .. little truck for scooting around .. delivering pizzas .. don’t get a ranger instead of a f 150 ... get a ranger because you want a ranger instead of a small suv like a forester ( traded forester for ranger ) .. don’t get a ranger instead of a 4 runner or larger suv .. it’s tight in hear compared to other options
Sponsored