First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Yikes, $280. I got mine replaced at Sam's Club for half that.

Of course over the course of four years it isn't a huge financial hit but I try to allocate expenses best I can.
Sponsored

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Yep I noticed ASS went away in early winter and replaced my 03/2019 battery with an Interstate 850cca from Costco. ASS immediately came back. I'm not complaining whatsoever about a vehicle that gives dead battery warning signs, and lasted 5 solid years, this is actually impressive in my opinion! Especially with the ASS abuse.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
The recent ice/cold in North Alabama finally took its toll on my battery and I ended up replacing it tonight at the dealership.

Monday morning when I sat in my truck I noticed my nav screen displaying a "System Off to Save Battery, Please turn ignition off or start engine" message. I have never experienced this message before so I figured a battery replacement might be due soon. I continued to receive this message every time I sat in the truck and leaving work this afternoon the automatic lock on my passenger door did not unlock when I tried to open the door...

Took it right to the dealership and the techs and I tested my battery/alternator. Instantly their battery tester lit up red and displayed the battery bad message. The OEM lariat battery is rated for 800CCA and the tester registered close to 500CCA so that confirmed my suspicion. Testing the alternator we registered a 14.98 - 15.00 V on the terminals and we concluded this was rather high. The technician mentioned maybe I have a bad alternator, but I had another hypothesis. My hypothesis is that our battery management system was overcompensating for the bad battery and that was the likely cause of the high voltage reading. For now my hypothesis looks to be correct; after replacement it registered a nominal 14.30V reading.

My Ranger is a 06/19 build date so I think almost 5 years out of the OEM AGM battery is nothing to scoff at...We replaced it with a Motorcraft BAGM94RH7800 AGM battery with a 36mo warranty.

IMG_1367.jpeg

IMG_1368.jpeg

Lessons Learned:
  1. Ensure the technician actually plugs up the front connector (grey) back to the positive terminal box or else you will get a power steering dash light 😜
  2. Ensure the technician remembers to reset your automatic windows or else you will be stuck back in the dark ages where you have to hold the button for it to roll up or down all the way (Going back to the dealership tomorrow to get them to reset that free of charge)
  3. Pay attention to any weird warning messages, it prevented me from being dead in the water this go around. 👍
Thanks for posting this material. I am coming up on five years on the battery for my 2019 Lariat, with no battery issues to date, but it is getting up there. Maybe I will wait until the truck is fully paid for, which will free up c. 700.00 USD per month for batteries and mods...

dstig1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SC XLT 4x4
As I am hearing a new term…. “the parts cannon”. That’s great if you are the dealership but I am not as fortunate as they are.
I like that. I am partial to "Parts-Swapping Monkey" as the moniker for inept technicians...

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Testing the alternator we registered a 14.98 - 15.00 V on the terminals and we concluded this was rather high. The technician mentioned maybe I have a bad alternator
I often see my charging voltage at 14.8-14.9 at the 12v outlet. Sometimes it down to 13.5. It varies a lot, don't know why. Maybe outside temps?

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I often see my charging voltage at 14.8-14.9 at the 12v outlet. Sometimes it down to 13.5. It varies a lot, don't know why. Maybe outside temps?
That is what I see also, 14.7-14.8 at the 12v outlet while driving. It is usually 12.7 when not running.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
That is what I see also, 14.7-14.8 at the 12v outlet while driving. It is usually 12.7 when not running.
Interesting. Do you have BMS enabled?

Dave1899

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Retired Living the Life
I have a 2019 and am having the same issues as the OP had. "System Off to Save Battery, Please turn ignition off or start engine" message" and the the automatic unlock on my passenger doors did not unlock when I tried to open the door also the touch lock button didn't work, but sometimes they work flawlessly, at least the Drivers door still functions but is starting to need more than one touch sometimes....The dealer also told me I don't drive it enough. Guess that's a standard answer they use when there are weird things happening. Guess It's time for an new battery.

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I have a 2019 and am having the same issues as the OP had. "System Off to Save Battery, Please turn ignition off or start engine" message" and the the automatic unlock on my passenger doors did not unlock when I tried to open the door also the touch lock button didn't work, but sometimes they work flawlessly, at least the Drivers door still functions but is starting to need more than one touch sometimes....The dealer also told me I don't drive it enough. Guess that's a standard answer they use when there are weird things happening. Guess It's time for an new battery.
Yep, at least let them test it to see if the CCAs is abnormal. All of those issues have went away this week with the new battery.
Sponsored