Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Essentially it resets the Battery Monitor so it knows the battery is in good shape. If you do not reset it you can have various annoying issues
Thanks...I did a rangr5g google search for BSM reset and nothing came up...is there a how to that I missed?

Also, are 48 and 94 interchangeable?
Sponsored

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
It was part of my lengthy post (book)

BMS Reset: How and When to Do It

BMS Reset – After Battery Replacement

If you reference all the service manuals and General Service Bulletin’s they state more than once, to only perform the reset if you are replacing the battery, due to the fact that the charging voltages will change, and they do not want an aging battery to be charged as a new battery.

BMS Reset – For Troubleshoot

However, in the General Service Bulletin for Deep Sleep, it mentions performing the reset without replacing the battery, to eliminate Deep Sleep notification issues, so if you are at a point where it looks like you have a bad battery rearing its ugly head, then I don’t see any reason that you cannot at least try the reset to see if it resolves your current low battery issues, it will force the system to treat the battery as new and attempt to charge it as new, now if the battery is actually going bad, then the system will see it and alter the charging voltage anyway. Plus, my true ponder (thought) is how accurate the BMS sensor actually is, over time. I see DTC’s for if it has failed but none for (hey I’m not precisely accurate, I need fixed) so only long term monitoring will tell, my true feeling is if you are out of warranty on the battery and paying out of pocket anyway and are experiencing charging issues, make it routine maintenance with every oil change and perform a reset, but again this is just a thought of possible resolution to the pronounced charging issues with the ranger.

BUT, if battery is still under warranty and this is in bold for a reason, the dealer may deny warranty if they know you changed how the battery is being charged, altered it, I just wanted to point out the risk in getting the dealer to honor the warranty as it can be a very daunting task these days to get anything covered under warranty.

How to Do It with Scanner or Forscan:

Easy just hook up and locate the BMS reset.

How to do it without Scan Tool or Forscan:

1. Put Ignition Switch In (ASSY) & Complete Steps 2 & 3 Within (10 Seconds)
2. Flash the Hi-Beams (5) Times, ending with the Hi-Beams –(Off)
3. Press and Release the Brake Pedal (3) Times
4. The Battery Warning Light – Will Flash (3) Times to confirm the Reset is successful.

Note: This is not the verified way, in any Ford Document, the documents push using a Scan Tool, and the reason is, with the Scan Tool you will have a verified confirmed result of a BMS Reset – Complete, vs the bypass way of just having a blinking battery light go away, also with Scan Tool you can view the time since installed date of the battery be change to zero days as another verification the reset was successful.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It was part of my lengthy post (book)

BMS Reset: How and When to Do It

BMS Reset – After Battery Replacement

If you reference all the service manuals and General Service Bulletin’s they state more than once, to only perform the reset if you are replacing the battery, due to the fact that the charging voltages will change, and they do not want an aging battery to be charged as a new battery.

BMS Reset – For Troubleshoot

However, in the General Service Bulletin for Deep Sleep, it mentions performing the reset without replacing the battery, to eliminate Deep Sleep notification issues, so if you are at a point where it looks like you have a bad battery rearing its ugly head, then I don’t see any reason that you cannot at least try the reset to see if it resolves your current low battery issues, it will force the system to treat the battery as new and attempt to charge it as new, now if the battery is actually going bad, then the system will see it and alter the charging voltage anyway. Plus, my true ponder (thought) is how accurate the BMS sensor actually is, over time. I see DTC’s for if it has failed but none for (hey I’m not precisely accurate, I need fixed) so only long term monitoring will tell, my true feeling is if you are out of warranty on the battery and paying out of pocket anyway and are experiencing charging issues, make it routine maintenance with every oil change and perform a reset, but again this is just a thought of possible resolution to the pronounced charging issues with the ranger.

BUT, if battery is still under warranty and this is in bold for a reason, the dealer may deny warranty if they know you changed how the battery is being charged, altered it, I just wanted to point out the risk in getting the dealer to honor the warranty as it can be a very daunting task these days to get anything covered under warranty.

How to Do It with Scanner or Forscan:

Easy just hook up and locate the BMS reset.

How to do it without Scan Tool or Forscan:

1. Put Ignition Switch In (ASSY) & Complete Steps 2 & 3 Within (10 Seconds)
2. Flash the Hi-Beams (5) Times, ending with the Hi-Beams –(Off)
3. Press and Release the Brake Pedal (3) Times
4. The Battery Warning Light – Will Flash (3) Times to confirm the Reset is successful.

Note: This is not the verified way, in any Ford Document, the documents push using a Scan Tool, and the reason is, with the Scan Tool you will have a verified confirmed result of a BMS Reset – Complete, vs the bypass way of just having a blinking battery light go away, also with Scan Tool you can view the time since installed date of the battery be change to zero days as another verification the reset was successful.
Thank you very much @airline tech ...great info as always!

So I still have one question...are 48 and 98 size interchangeable? They're the same price it would appear...Autozone list 98 as compatible with XLT...

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Thank you very much @airline tech ...great info as always!

So I still have one question...are 48 and 98 size interchangeable? They're the same price it would appear...Autozone list 98 as compatible with XLT...
The 98 is bigger but will fit. If it were me I would stick with what came in the vehicle. If you have a 48 stick with the 48. Also I would recommend the OEM Ford battery for the warranty or go with an X2 from Batteries plus.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The 98 is bigger but will fit. If it were me I would stick with what came in the vehicle. If you have a 48 stick with the 48. Also I would recommend the OEM Ford battery for the warranty or go with an X2 from Batteries plus.
Has more capacity, same price and fits...but does it require recoding with forscan for the XLT?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Has more capacity, same price and fits...but does it require recoding with forscan for the XLT?
Technically speaking it does require a slight adjustment in the BCM I believe. That said you also have the battery blanket for the smaller battery right? I would recommend retaining that and using it on the smaller battery so you can get excellent life out of the next one. The only advantage to the bigger battery would be more cranking power that you don't exactly need. Also there would be more accessory usage but you can also use another battery for that as a house battery if you truly need it.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Technically speaking it does require a slight adjustment in the BCM I believe. That said you also have the battery blanket for the smaller battery right? I would recommend retaining that and using it on the smaller battery so you can get excellent life out of the next one. The only advantage to the bigger battery would be more cranking power that you don't exactly need. Also there would be more accessory usage but you can also use another battery for that as a house battery if you truly need it.
I think you're right...the size difference will need a new blanket...I'll go safe and stick with same 48 size...

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
sorry for late reply but here are the (2) battery options.
From others that have replaced it appears the Lariat battery will fit in the battery tray, unsure about the blanket being able to fit over the larger size battery, I don't have exact size (specs) but I would think it should stretch some.

If you are referring to this information (48 or 94)

Note: The service manual spec vary on the XL/XLT between 720 and 760 CCA, from what I understand they revised it sometime in production.

General Specifications

ďż˝
ItemSpecification
XL and XLT Vehicles
Voltage12 Volts
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) measured at -18 C (-0.4 F)720 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)
Battery amps rating70 Ah
Battery sizeH6
Battery typeAbsorbed Glass Mat (AGM)

ďż˝
ItemSpecification
Lariat Vehicles
Voltage12 Volts
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) measured at -18 C (-0.4 F)800 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)
Battery amps rating80 Ah
Battery sizeH7

Now, after you install the new battery and perform the BMS Reset, The Reset does some things.
It resets the charging algorithm and also resets time since installed (date) in the BCM

Now Forscan has a generic battery size change (easy mode) and it is not precisely exact match to the battery that is installed if I remember correctly.
So, if you bump up to the Lariat battery, you can view the selections in that drop down menu and select the closest size to the 800CCA.
Note, when I played with this setting, I noted my Time Since Install for my battery also reset to the current date with no way to change it back. (FYI) no big deal just now I have a battery install date about 90 days newer than it is (according to the PID data reading)

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
sorry for late reply but here are the (2) battery options.
From others that have replaced it appears the Lariat battery will fit in the battery tray, unsure about the blanket being able to fit over the larger size battery, I don't have exact size (specs) but I would think it should stretch some.

If you are referring to this information (48 or 94)

Note: The service manual spec vary on the XL/XLT between 720 and 760 CCA, from what I understand they revised it sometime in production.

General Specifications

ďż˝
ItemSpecification
XL and XLT Vehicles
Voltage12 Volts
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) measured at -18 C (-0.4 F)720 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)
Battery amps rating70 Ah
Battery sizeH6

ďż˝
ItemSpecification
Lariat Vehicles
Voltage12 Volts
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) measured at -18 C (-0.4 F)800 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)
Battery amps rating80 Ah
Battery sizeH7

Now, after you install the new battery and perform the BMS Reset, The Reset does some things.
It resets the charging algorithm and also resets time since installed (date) in the BCM

Now Forscan has a generic battery size change (easy mode) and it is not precisely exact match to the battery that is installed if I remember correctly.
So, if you bump up to the Lariat battery, you can view the selections in that drop down menu and select the closest size to the 800CCA.
Note, when I played with this setting, I noted my Time Since Install for my battery also reset to the current date with no way to change it back. (FYI) no big deal just now I have a battery install date about 90 days newer than it is (according to the PID data reading)
No worry...I decided to go with the known and got the same size...just installed but am having no success resetting BMC...assy stands for accessory or ignition? Should the vehicle be running or not?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BMS reset...I was able to fill in the blanks...turn ignition to "ON" (second position before engaging starter, past the first position for accessory)..do not start engine...wait till most of the warning lights turn off but battery light remains on...flash high beam 5 times followed by pressing brake pedal 3 times...wait 3-5 seconds and the battery light will flash on/off 4 times...reset complete...

Last edited:

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
You also don't need to do a BMS reset.

Everyone says you do, but you don't. It'll auto-calibrate on its own after I think 8-10 hours unused and off (it might be a few cycles of this), but it doesn't require you to actually do a reset to replace your battery. I did some digging when I had to replace mine, I didn't do a BMS reset and everything is great.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You also don't need to do a BMS reset.

Everyone says you do, but you don't. It'll auto-calibrate on its own after I think 8-10 hours unused and off (it might be a few cycles of this), but it doesn't require you to actually do a reset to replace your battery. I did some digging when I had to replace mine, I didn't do a BMS reset and everything is great.
Too late lol...but that's good to know...

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Too late lol...but that's good to know...
Yup, I was out putting miles on the bike today, but figured it was worth posting for others. BMS reset just "speeds up" the recalibration.

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
well, this all makes me wonder if I have a few accessories, like a winch and some lights, if I need a deluxe one like the Optima Yellow Top, or if a standard one like a Duralast Platinum will do it.

My truck was new in 2/19, and has the original battery. As the weather cools and leaves start to change, I'll be up in the mountain wilderness joy riding and camping a bit, and it's an awful lonely place to get stuck, so I think I'm going to go ahead and change it out.
Sponsored