Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
2019 with 30,000 issue free miles.

Where is the dipstick anyway?
Tranny don't have one why should the engine. If it ain't smoking or leaking it must be full. :crackup:
edit: 2019 32000 plus miles never an issue.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
At over 50K miles and the gas in the oil issue stopped around 15k-20k if I remember correctly. Just break the engine in, give it a good run once in a while in Sport mode and enjoy. Honestly as time has shown, this is merely an ant hill, not a mountain.

OP
OP

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
should i check the oil level in about 2000 miles? Iā€™ll probably change it then anyway

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
I would say I put on around 130 miles a week or more
I do approx 300/wk. Not counting extra 700mi round trip every other month. Would be good candidate for testing longevity/reliability. Well I guess we'll see how she does in the long run. Only 3800 miles on it now

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Changed the oil at 4127 miles,because the level was already coming up and smelled like gas,put 6 qts in it which put it a hair below the top of the hash mark on dip stick,now at 1052 on the fresh oil itā€™s right at the top hole is which is the maximum oil level!
so sad for such a nice riding pickup
Just shy 20K on 2019 Lariat and no gas in the oil smell... thank goodness

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Changed the oil at 4127 miles,because the level was already coming up and smelled like gas,put 6 qts in it which put it a hair below the top of the hash mark on dip stick,now at 1052 on the fresh oil itā€™s right at the top hole is which is the maximum oil level!
so sad for such a nice riding pickup
I stopped by yesterday at the dealership and see what's up with my truck. Been there 1 week. Its sitting outside. They put a call into Ford's hotline and have not heard back from them yet. They say they don't know how to fix something when they don't know what is causing the issue. Apparently what they did on the one and only other Ranger leaking fuel into the oil did not resolve the problem and resulted in them buying the truck back. I told him (the svc mgr), if you have a conversation with them about it you can tell them I'd just assume they buy it back or trade me for an F150 Lariat or above or an Explorer ST.
When you win a lemon law in Florida you have your choice of them buying it back or exchanging it for another vehicle of equal value. I know neither one of those vehicles I want are of equal value but who knows, Ford might just pull one out of their hat and do something like that.
Anybody have experience and/or opinions on the Colorado? I know absolutely nothing about them, no I could join their forum to see what they all say about them.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
31k on my 19ā€™ Lariat. I change the oil every 5k with synthetic oil. For the most part I drive like an old man but once in awhile I open it up! Zero issue. Zero gas in the oil. Drive it. Change the oil on a regular basis and youā€™ll be fine!

Or go buy something else.

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
anyway I usually only drive it on weekends,Friday,Saturday,Sunday.
15-20 miles one way to town,I guess thatā€™s considered a short trip.
what do you guys suggest,keep hammering on it every time I drive it?2-3 times each day!
The most important thing you can do is make sure the engine is fully up to temperature before you drive it hard. The next most important thing is adhere to the oil change intervals (if not half it if you don't drive the truck as much). Good, fresh oil, is very important to the Turbocharged engine. 15-20 miles is good as long as you're not stopping and going in traffic or letting the engine Start-Stop itself during that time. I say drive it 100 miles every weekend and enjoy that class leading power. Let the motor rev up and go through the gears. You don't have to give it WOT every time, but just let it rev. Also dare I say, use 91 octane fuel if you don't mind spending more. Premium fuel has more additives that keep your motor clean on the inside. A vehicle that doesn't get driven as much could benefit from it. Oh and BTW, the 2.3 makes MORE power with 91. TFL truck has a video that shows the difference with just 91 octane. They estimate up to 20+ more just with running 91 or higher.

I know Ford quotes the Ranger's power with 87 octane. They do the same for all their truck gas engines. My 2019 Coyote V8 truck always ran like crap on 87. Pinging. Slight surging at part throttle. Felt a bit sluggish for a 395 hp engine. Put 91 octane on it and BOOM! What a difference! Smoother, more responsive, zero pinging even under heavy load. That sucker would race up to 115 mph (speed limited) in a heartbeat! It was nothing short of a Hot Rod truck. The Ranger is similar. It really is a Hot Rod truck and so easy to get more power out of it.

These newer Ford engines, especially the turbocharged ones have every performance add on Ford knows. The 2.3 EB is the same motor they put on the Mustang that is rated at 315 hp. Yes ours is tuned for torque. But it still the same hardware. This is why Ford Performance has a simple software upgrade for 91 octane fuel that adds 45 more hp!!!

Drive that truck and enjoy the turbocharged power.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
OCL. Interesting. The Ranger does not seem like a city vehicle from your opinion. Wow 15 to 20 miles to warm up. 100 miles every weekend.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OCL. Interesting. The Ranger does not seem like a city vehicle from your opinion. Wow 15 to 20 miles to warm up. 100 miles every weekend.
Probably depends on where he lives. I live in the foothills of Cali and it takes my truck all but 5 minutes to warm up in winter. Any longer and Iā€™m just wasting gas

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Probably depends on where he lives. I live in the foothills of Cali and it takes my truck all but 5 minutes to warm up in winter. Any longer and Iā€™m just wasting gas
How's the 6G Ranger motor going to be affected by the new PHEV system. If you have a commute within its range the motor will be used even less.

Reactions: Doc

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How's the 6G Ranger motor going to be affected by the new PHEV system. If you have a commute within its range the motor will be used even less.
Well I would say take back roads and lengthen your commute ??ā€ā™‚
I didnā€™t buy my ranger thinking about commutes. I bought it because I wanted a truck I liked and wasnā€™t over the top. If thatā€™s your circumstances and you are that worried about it, I donā€™t know what to tell you, thatā€™s on you. Some people are bothered when I tell them I have a truck less than 2 years old (sheā€™ll be 2 in a week ?) with over 50k and think itā€™s the worse thing ever. If you enjoy a vehicle, youā€™ll put up with the little quirks it has or try to fix them yourself. Shoot my gas gauge works only 50% of the time. Am I going to take it to ford to have them completely tear apart the gas system, Hell no! Iā€™ve Got a perfectly good odometer that tells me when I hit 350 miles and should fill up. The gas in the oil, the short commutes, not warming your truck up, itā€™s all little things that really have been answered probably by 10+ threads each since the ā€˜19 came out.
Donā€™t even get me started on the octane debate again. Everyone knows the damper is what doubles the horsepower after all.

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
I live in a city myself AND work from home so my truck is like yours: it sits in garage all week unless I'm running an errand. On weekends, lots of stop and go driving for me as well, so I turn off the Start-Stop until I know the engine has warmed up fully. But I always make it a point to take the truck outside of the city limits and drive it....I do have access to nearby mountains and deserts. So 20 minutes away are nice mountain roads with little traffic early in the morning. A handful of off road trails too. That's when I can let the 2.3 breathe hard a little. So much fun. I feed mine 91 octane and it noticeably runs much better compared to when I was breaking it in with 87 octane. More acceleration for sure. More midrange power too. And it feels a bit....smoother/more responsive...but this could be a Placebo effect. I definitely can attest to the more power part. So I know this engine WANTS 91 octane.

Next year I will add the Ford Performance tune. 45 more hp baby! Try that on a GM/Toyota/Nissan V6! Haha. Already the fastest midsize truck in the market stock. It only gets better. And while all those NA V6's are weezing at high elevation, my Ranger is still putting out Sea Level power. This is why I wanted a Turbocharged engine.
Sponsored