First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
So my 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty will expire on Wednesday, so I thought I'd take my truck in to get a few things looked at:
  • Get the rear taillight recall done (I knew it wasn't a problem but I got tired of getting bugged about it)
  • Have them apply the TSB for the rough shifting when cold (seems simple enough)
  • Have them check the transmission fluid - just in case
I called a couple weeks ago, had to wait until today to take it in. Originally he said he would need it overnight which was fine. We took it in today and he tells me "we lost our transmission guy so I'm not sure about the TSB"- I told him it is just software so it should be OK. Anyway, I leave my truck, figuring I'd pick it up tomorrow. A couple hours later I get a call - it is done - they couldn't do the TSB because the "transmission guy" had to do it and they don't have one now. He said the tech drove it and he said it seemed fine. I said it ONLY happens on the first shift of the day when it is COLD. He also said they can't check the trans fluid. I said - "wait, you are telling me you can't check the transmission fluid on a stock Ford vehicle?" He said they could but it is hard to get to and he would have to charge me.

So, we drove a total of 120 miles, wasted 2 hours all to get the sum total of telling me there is nothing wrong with my taillights (which I already knew).

Am I being unreasonable or was that shitty service? The TSB pissed me off, but when he basically told me "we can't check your transmission fluid because it is hard" it REALLY pissed me off.

I will not be returning and I hope they send me a "how did we do" questionnaire.
You're not being picky at all, you brought the Truck there expecting them to just do what you requested them to take care of. They gave you nothing but excuses.
Sorry, but I don't trust dealership for stuff like this.
I got an appt, the 18th of this month for exactly the same thing you wanted-to check my Trans level.
I'm thinking of cancelling-my truck runs fine, only slow shifting when its cold out.
Every manufacturer wants you to go to their dealerships for service- "Factory Trained Technicians" know everything about your vehicle and you will receive the utmost care. BS
I hear these horror stories all the time.
And I know not every dealership is bad-don't want to paint with a broad brush.
I stress over Anyone other than myself putting their hands on my stuff.
Good luck.
Sponsored

Last edited:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Checking the trans fluid is part of the 10k and 30k services if that dealership if completing the Ford recommended services. The dealer I bought from refused to do the full Ford recommended 10k service because they have their own version, which is essentially only an oil change, tire rotation, and weirdly a battery test. I'm finding another dealership because I don't want to have to fight with one to get them to do what Ford recommends.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
You're not being picky at all, you brought the Truck there expecting them to just do what you requested them to take care of. They gave you nothing but excuses.
Sorry, but I don't trust dealership for stuff like this.
I got an appt, the 18th of this month for exactly the same thing you wanted-to check my Trans level.
I'm thinking of cancelling-my truck runs fine, only slow shifting when its cold out.
Every manufacturer wants you to go to their dealerships for service- "Factory Trained Technicians" know everything about your vehicle and you will receive the utmost care. BS
I hear these horror stories all the time.
And I know not every dealership is bad-don't want to paint with a broad brush.
I stress over Anyone other than myself putting their hands on my stuff.
Good luck.
The sad part is this dealership USED to be pretty good but recently sold out to one of the "big guys" in town and it appears things have gone south very quickly. I didn't get a good feeling when I scheduled the appointment and I should have followed my gut. It is why I hate taking vehicles to the dealer.

I may try again at a different dealer before the powertrain warranty runs out, but I've lived with the trans shifting when cold for 3 years now, so it isn't terrible. It would just be nice if it could be fixed.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
"Check the transmisison fluid" should be covered under warranty IF you told them of a suspected problem so they would have to diagnose. If not they consider it "maintenance" and not covered. That's what I was told by the service department when I asked them to just check the transmission fluid. In the end, I just waited until my first oil change and got "The Works", supposed to include checking the transmission fluid on the list of things they do.
I was thinking about that. Some dealers complete that "the works" page for any service - so it looks like they gave your vehicle the once over while it was in for service. And I'm pretty sure checking ALL the fluids is part of that. It doesn't appear this place does that, though.

They didn't even read what was written on the page - I told them it ONLY happens FIRST THING IN THE MORNING WHEN COLD - the guy took it out for a drive about 90 mins after I dropped it off and said "I can't reproduce it". When I scheduled it, the service writer told me I'd have to leave it overnight. Pretty stupid.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
"Check the transmisison fluid" should be covered under warranty IF you told them of a suspected problem so they would have to diagnose. If not they consider it "maintenance" and not covered. That's what I was told by the service department when I asked them to just check the transmission fluid. In the end, I just waited until my first oil change and got "The Works", supposed to include checking the transmission fluid on the list of things they do.
The dealership has a different definition of "the works" than you and I have. Just saying.

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Talking about checking the trans fluid level, why on earth did most if not all manufacturers do away with the trans dipstick? how much more would it set-back car makers by putting one in?
This bothers me, the transmission is just as important a component in the driveline as the engine is.
I just don't believe in the "sealed for life, no maintenance required" nonsense for the transmission.
Guess its a money maker for the dealerships, i dont know

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Talking about checking the trans fluid level, why on earth did most if not all manufacturers do away with the trans dipstick? how much more would it set-back car makers by putting one in?
This bothers me, the transmission is just as important a component in the driveline as the engine is.
I just don't believe in the "sealed for life, no maintenance required" nonsense for the transmission.

Guess its a money maker for the dealerships, i dont know
That's it right there. Most will not do themself (or don't know how to) so they'll be forced now to take it to the stealership. Another deleted item which should be there as it's important to routinely check.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I'm gonna start a side business.

I'm going to start offering Trans Fluid level checks. Drive in only. No house calls unless breakfast is being served

My prices is $500 plus supplies, while you wait, and you can come along for the under load drive test to warm the trans temp to the required value.

You can find competitive pricing in the yellow pages, as other mechanics can and will do this check for a fee too.
I agree we all need to be able to know how to check it ourselves but since it is in fact called out specifically in Ford's service schedule twice in the timeframe the OP has owned his vehicle; he shouldn't be getting pushback from a Ford service center on it.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
We took it in today and he tells me "we lost our transmission guy so I'm not sure about the TSB"- I told him it is just software so it should be OK.
Recalling when I had the 4R70W replaced on my '98 Mustang GT while under warranty. Tranny seemed to shift fine - had trans serviced and the pan was full of crap - off to the dealer. Trans shop was backed up so they gave me a loaner, thinking I would have the car back in a couple of weeks. I met with the transmission guy - a real 'winner' for sure.

Two weeks came and went - I phone - trans guy is in jail and we are working on getting a replacement transmission guy. Fine - I kept the loaner for another week or two. I stayed in touch. They needed the loaner back - fine, I have plenty to drive at home.

A month later, original trans guy is still in jail and someone from the truck shop is working the transmissions. I get the car back, it's fine but the truck shop guy is mad at the world and didn't care for southerners apparently - wondering why he was here in NC? Hmmm....

Mine was white. (stock image)

1998-Ford-Mustang-In-Depth.jpeg

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
The dealership has a different definition of "the works" than you and I have. Just saying.
I dunno, they gave me a "check sheet" when finished, had all the things they were "supposed" to check included in "The Works" oil change package. I know checking transmission fluid was on there.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I dunno, they gave me a "check sheet" when finished, had all the things they were "supposed" to check included in "The Works" oil change package. I know checking transmission fluid was on there.
Do you still have the Works sheet from the service? Only reason I ask is it seems to be a gray area on what's covered and maybe certain dealers do check the trans fluid and others don't. Even on the Ford Works site it just says "Fluid to off" but there's nothing stating the trans fluid gets checked.

https://www.ford.com/support/category/service-maintenance/coupons-offers-rebates/the-works/

https://www.ford.com/support/category/service-maintenance/coupons-offers-rebates/the-works/

• Tire rotation
  • Pressure check
  • Brake inspection
  • Vehicle checkup
  • Fluid top-off
  • Battery test
  • Filter check
  • Belts and hoses check

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you still have the Works sheet from the service? Only reason I ask is it seems to be a gray area on what's covered and maybe certain dealers do check the trans fluid and others don't. Even on the Ford Works site it just says "Fluid to off" but there's nothing stating the trans fluid gets checked.

I'm at work but I have the sheet out in my truck so I can take a look later. There are supposed to be 83 points they check.

I notice on that website it says "The Works®* synthetic blend oil change and more"... so although they don't get very detailed as to everything it includes, I would think it would be more than what they have listed there because they do say "and more".

• Tire Rotation and Pressure Check
  • Brake Inspection
  • Vehicle Checkup
  • Fluid Top-Off

• Battery Test
  • Filter Check
  • Belts and Hoses Check

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm at work but I have the sheet out in my truck so I can take a look later.

I notice on that website it says "The Works®* synthetic blend oil change and more"... so although they don't get very detailed as to everything it includes, I would think it would be more than what they have listed there because they do say "and more".

• Tire Rotation and Pressure Check
  • Brake Inspection
  • Vehicle Checkup
  • Fluid Top-Off
  • Battery Test
  • Filter Check
  • Belts and Hoses Check
Oh I agree you'd think "and more" means the trans fluid. lol I wonder if some dealers are using this as "and more" doesn't mean the trans fluid because they're to lazy to check it.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh I agree you'd think "and more" means the trans fluid. lol I wonder if some dealers are using this as "and more" doesn't mean the trans fluid because they're to lazy to check it.
I know what you are saying, I always sit there while waiting my my vehicle and wondering if they really check all that stuff.
Sponsored