First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
drive it harder take it up to 6,000 RPMS a few times and drive it hard in sport mode once in awhile, should make the level drop back down as you burn the fuel out.
Correctamundo !

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I have 80,000 trouble-free miles on my 2019. I have literally never checked the dipstick except after an oil change. A little over 6 quarts comes out when I drain. Plugs look fine. Never noticed a gas smell.

You'll be fine, OP.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure what to feel about this whole thing. I've had my truck since late 2019, change the oil and filters every 5K miles at the dealership so I don't really KNOW what oil they're using, check the oil maybe twice between oil changes, and just drive the truck daily. So far, so good. Nobody's said I have any kind of gas-in-oil problems to date.

Am I an anomaly, or do many of the rest of you just do basic maintnance stuff and just driiiiive the trucks?
You are in the vast majority of Ranger owners. You have to remember that members of this forum are a tiny percentage of the folks that own Rangers and a large percentage of the folks that come to a forum like this is because they have an issue.
So when you see a lot of folks on a forum having the same issue it is going to be skewed data and not representative of all the folks with a Ranger. Certainly worth keeping an eye on the issue but not worth fretting over.

FWIW, my Ranger is the third vehicle with the 2.3 Ecoboost engine. The first two were Ecoboost Mustangs which I put just shy of 40k on the first and just shy of 60k on the second with not enough fuel dilution to smell or cause the oil level to rise. I only have 4.2k miles on my 21 Ranger and is also not showing any signs of fuel dilution.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I'd at least let the rings seat fully before writing the truck off completely lol. I've read a few members on here saying their dilution issues went away after a couple oil changes... when the rings have had enough time to really seat good. My oil stunk of gas before my first change.. havnt bothered checking since, 16.5k on it now.

cclayton

First Name
Collin Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have 80,000 trouble-free miles on my 2019. I have literally never checked the dipstick except after an oil change. A little over 6 quarts comes out when I drain. Plugs look fine. Never noticed a gas smell.

You'll be fine, OP.
Just rolled 20k on my 2019 and it has never smelled like gas nor is the oil level high. I check it every so often and always at the full mark.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Am I an anomaly, or do many of the rest of you just do basic maintnance stuff and just driiiiive the trucks?
I am right behind you. driving it like I stole it. if the motor grenades under warranty I will have them tow it to the dealer. other than that... what dipstick? bah.. no reason to open the hood !!

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
I had posted in one of the oil threads about my truck `s oil level being high at the time of the 5000
mile service. I made the dealer aware of it. drove it & checked the oil weekly. at the time of the
10000 mile service it was high but not as bad at the 1st service. I still check the oil weekly & since
it now has over 15000 miles ( and serviced at 15000) on it the oil level is just below the top hole/full mark.

I dont know if it helped or not but 2 or 3 times I drove it at 80+ mph & once I checked the top speed limit. I do know the oil level is where it should be & like others have stated ,run it some more before
having a panic attack. just my 2 cents that may or may not help :)

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
I have a theory,without adequate data to confirm it...
Based on the construction of this engine, along with its having both DI and turbo,
I suspect that a LOT of the "gas in the oil" problem is from Cold starts with extremely short trips and/or hard acceleration on a cold engine.
The engine will run rich at startup , tolerances are somewhat loose at startup.
Add that to the fact that the engine must run for twenty minutes before it is completely warmed up.
I say.. don't crowd it at least until you visually SEE the temp guage move.
When possible interspace a few longer trips on a warm engine.
A thousand 2-mile trips are a lot worse than two 1000-mile trips
This makes complete sense to me.

OP
OP

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Ok guys,y’all make sense,I do tend to baby it some,although I have ran it hard but not that much,I’ve never drove it in sport mode,I’ll try it out and see,it is under warranty so I’ll just drive it and not worry about,we’ll see what happens,I hope I never have any trouble.
will a catch can help with this?

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
You are in the vast majority of Ranger owners. You have to remember that members of this forum are a tiny percentage of the folks that own Rangers and a large percentage of the folks that come to a forum like this is because they have an issue.
So when you see a lot of folks on a forum having the same issue it is going to be skewed data and not representative of all the folks with a Ranger. Certainly worth keeping an eye on the issue but not worth fretting over.

FWIW, my Ranger is the third vehicle with the 2.3 Ecoboost engine. The first two were Ecoboost Mustangs which I put just shy of 40k on the first and just shy of 60k on the second with not enough fuel dilution to smell or cause the oil level to rise. I only have 4.2k miles on my 21 Ranger and is also not showing any signs of fuel dilution.
Nice perspective on it. This forum and its members are great resource for info

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Ok guys,y’all make sense,I do tend to baby it some,although I have ran it hard but not that much,I’ve never drove it in sport mode,I’ll try it out and see,it is under warranty so I’ll just drive it and not worry about,we’ll see what happens,I hope I never have any trouble.
will a catch can help with this?
That last question was ambiguous!
It might help with your anxiety, but not likely any help with reducing gas in the oil.
Even those who have catchcans don't install them for that purpose.
In fact if a catchcan restricts Crankcase ventilation it could make it worse, if it doesn't then it just won't help.

OP
OP

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
I just took it out,got it to operating temperature,put it in s mode,wow!
very impressive,i romped on it about 4 times,the last time I hit 105mph and it was still climbing,I thought it shut off about 99mph?
anyway I usually only drive it on weekends,Friday,Saturday,Sunday.
15-20 miles one way to town,I guess that’s considered a short trip.
what do you guys suggest,keep hammering on it every time I drive it?2-3 times each day!
Sponsored