What noise am I hearing?

dstig1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SC XLT 4x4
I've noticed a few times with the truck parked in my shop and I am in there when it is relatively quiet that I hear a noise from the front of the truck. Sounds like an actuator moving. Short whirr that lasts a second or so. I don't have the key with me or anywhere near, and not touching it or opening doors or anything that might wake it up. Is this like an evap emissions cannister or something? It has been parked for a few days the last time I heard this, so it isn't some shutdown thing happening a few minutes after parking or anything like that.

Just curious if anyone knows. And it also tells me parking it without using it for a couple weeks might end in a dead battery...
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
As Sid said, it’s likely the waste gate actuator. Or it could be some rodent dining on a wiring harness and the hood liner. Ask me how I know.

Your truck will go into deep sleep mode to conserve battery life - IIRC, it’s after 14 days.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I've heard it. On mine and a loaner Explorer with the 2.3 under the hood. Seems a but random when it does it but always a good bit after it was shut down.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Here you go.
If you do not have the FOB near the truck, then it is the Ford Pass App communicating with the truck for a status update. (Wake Signal) Powers the PCM Power Relay, when the relay energizes this circuit is also powered.

Viewed from Rt Wheel Well

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
You all may not be aware, but each Ranger, as it rolls off the assembly line, is assigned a permanent Gnome. They' always have guests over for party time.
They usually find a home under the dash, but are able to move around as needed.
Their purpose, depending on their attitude is to make life in your Ranger fun or miserable.
In the OP's case it sounds like his is lighting off a fire pit or grill to roast hot dogs.
A squeaking of bed springs under the dash usually means that your resident Gnome has a female Gnome over .
Oh, they thrive on hot dogs and cheap beer, so if you leave some dogs' and a six pack on the floor, you'll have a happy Gnome....won't give you any problems.

istockphoto-618967364-612x612.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dstig1

dstig1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SC XLT 4x4
Well it isn't squirrels...at least not yet... Airline Tech - that sounds like it. Seems weird the turbo wastegate would actuate when sitting there but that must be it. Mystery solved!

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Well it isn't squirrels...at least not yet... Airline Tech - that sounds like it. Seems weird the turbo wastegate would actuate when sitting there but that must be it. Mystery solved!
You know....a Gnome flushing a pottie might sound like a waste gate actuating. :giggle:
You know how fast a hot dog and a cheap beer can go thru your system !!!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
The members here are too good at this game...almost nothing about the R5G is a mystery to us anymore...except where's Dave...

OP
OP
dstig1

dstig1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SC XLT 4x4
Well I'm a Dave...maybe not "the right Dave" but still a Dave. Maybe I can be a substitute Dave for now? 😁
Sponsored