Help with ford ranger leveling kit.

Justdown808

First Name
Just
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger 2019
Hi! I recently purchased new wheels and a 3 inch spacer lift from Ford ranger lifts. Everything seemed to go ok but getting the hub to reattach to the upper control was a hassle. It seemed out of whack with the spindle. And finally after much tweaking it seemed to go back in and I attached the arm. But my wheels seem to clunk every other tire rotation. Also my wheels seem to be crooked at an angle pointing inward like a V

I followed the instructions on the video for the spacer lift. but it wasn't until after in the comments he mentions something about removing nuts from cv axle spindle? I didn't do that could that be the problem? I'm very stressed out as my truck is out of commission
Sponsored

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Do you have a 4wd??

Shadowranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger and 2013 Volkswagen passat
Occupation
Owner and operator Xplicit wraps
Hi! I recently purchased new wheels and a 3 inch spacer lift from Ford ranger lifts. Everything seemed to go ok but getting the hub to reattach to the upper control was a hassle. It seemed out of whack with the spindle. And finally after much tweaking it seemed to go back in and I attached the arm. But my wheels seem to clunk every other tire rotation. Also my wheels seem to be crooked at an angle pointing inward like a V

I followed the instructions on the video for the spacer lift. but it wasn't until after in the comments he mentions something about removing nuts from cv axle spindle? I didn't do that could that be the problem? I'm very stressed out as my truck is out of commission
If you have the 4x4 you must definitely remove the CV axle, its too risky to do it without. And as for as the v shaped look on the front wheels after installing the spacer you need a camber alignment

Screenshot_20191229-082534_Instagram.jpg

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4; 2015 Toyota 4Runner
I ended up dropping the lower control arm and avoided messing with the CV. It has to be aligned anyway soooo I made the call and I haven't had a single alignment/driveline issue. That was abut 2 years ago. You'll need an extra jack to help hold everything. extra stands were a plus as well.

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The reason it was so hard to get your lower control arm back up to reconnect the UCA is because your CV tripod bearing likely fell out of the inner housing when you dropped the lower arm. Picture the left portion (outer CV) of the picture below moving to the left as your LCA drops. This pulls the inner CV tripod (spider) out of the housing.

1650926082303.png

Can you send us a picture of the inner CV? Double check all of your torque specs on your install as well.

Also, the reason your tires are pointed inward like a V is because you need an alignment like some others have said. Any time you alter the suspension on your vehicle, you need an alignment. This is completely normal. Out of whack alignment can also cause funky noises as well.

I saw a comment in here that you have to remove the CV axle on 4WD to install a spacer lift and that is not the case, you just need to take precautions to brace the lower control arm so the above mentioned does not happen. Ask me how I know....spent 3 hours fighting with the driver side on my rig when I did it. I will say though, removing the CV nut is much easier if you have the right tools, but not everyone has the ability to torque to the crazy specs on the nut.

In the future, support the lower control arm with a jack stand or jack so it doesn't fall low enough to pull the tripod bearing out of the inner housing. You can also use bungee cords to hold it as well if you don't have spare stands.
Sponsored

Last edited: