Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
You can't scroll down from that screen.

There will only be 5 files.
Oh, OK.
Is there another 'screen' I should be looking at?
(Or, what I want to see isn't possible?)

Last edited:

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I just updated mine via usb and everything went fine but it didn't write the XML file to update the Ford Owners site. It didn't do it for the last update either so I think I may need to leave the usb in after the system restarts and tells you to shut off the truck.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I just updated mine via usb and everything went fine but it didn't write the XML file to update the Ford Owners site. It didn't do it for the last update either so I think I may need to leave the usb in after the system restarts and tells you to shut off the truck.
You can use wifi to check for updates, and that will update the website to your current version. I did that even though I updated using USB. (Someone on the forum told me that, I'm not that smart)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
You can use wifi to check for updates, and that will update the website to your current version. I did that even though I updated using USB. (Someone on the forum told me that, I'm not that smart)
FYI, It MAY update Ford to your current version. I've had no luck in getting that to work. It still thinks I need to update even after doing several checks from the truck and it telling me I'm up to date. But if I go to the Ford Sync website, it says I need to upgrade.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
FYI, It MAY update Ford to your current version. I've had no luck in getting that to work. It still thinks I need to update even after doing several checks from the truck and it telling me I'm up to date. But if I go to the Ford Sync website, it says I need to upgrade.
I'm in the same boat. Looking at the traffic on the network it looks like the radio is having trouble talking to the server, specifically it doesn't seem to process packets of a certain size (MTU issue) which doesn't really make any sense.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Figures. I've never been able to upload the .xml file to the site, if it creates one at all.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Figures. I've never been able to upload the .xml file to the site, if it creates one at all.
What I found is the xml file is slow to returning to the ranger. If you place the USB, whenever you drive, back in place..it will eventually complete the transaction. Then put that back on your computer.

It will message you that the update is complete from the ranger display.

Good luck,

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I gave up on waiting on this to complete. In hindsight I wouldn't have known if XM didn't shut down that one time. Everything works albeit with a screen I don't like. The files still are downloading every time I've check since Sunday. Yesterday I checked after a drive and it was still only half way down the list of 13. Yes it could be better but everything works so why should I care.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What I found is the xml file is slow to returning to the ranger. If you place the USB, whenever you drive, back in place..it will eventually complete the transaction. Then put that back on your computer.

It will message you that the update is complete from the ranger display.

Good luck,
I get the XML file written to the flash drive, but again, I've never been able to get Ford to actually process it. Sometimes I get a "we had a problem" message, sometimes I get a "processed successfully" message, but it never updates to show I'm on the current version. So Ford thinks I'm still running 3.3.something even though I've done 3 updates now.

I've given up trying.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I get the XML file written to the flash drive, but again, I've never been able to get Ford to actually process it. Sometimes I get a "we had a problem" message, sometimes I get a "processed successfully" message, but it never updates to show I'm on the current version. So Ford thinks I'm still running 3.3.something even though I've done 3 updates now.

I've given up trying.
I'd keep randomly hitting the Ford server with your USB.
That may be related to your own network and ISP.
If you complete, that will enable you to take advantage of the updates that no one can get. LOL

You may need the xml file from the previous updates to proceed.

The xml file may be corrupt as well. Redo the Ranger update after clearing the USB and re installing the update.

Last edited:

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
If you complete, that will enable you to take advantage of the updates that no one can get. LOL

The xml file may be corrupt as well. Redo the Ranger update after clearing the USB and re installing the update.
I had a chat session with Ford the other day about the inability to report a successful upgrade on the web site. Their answer was that it is broken and they estimated about a month before it would be fixed. Subsequently, I was able to update my maps via wifi and during that process the ford servers were updated with the new version info.

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I gave up on waiting on this to complete. In hindsight I wouldn't have know if XM didn't shut down that one time. Everything works albeit with a screen I don't like. The files still are downloading every time I've check since Sunday. Yesterday I checked after a drive and it was still only half way down the list of 13. Yes it could be better but everything works so why should I care.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe the files are downloaded in sequential order. At least mine haven't been.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I may be wrong, but I don't believe the files are downloaded in sequential order. At least mine haven't been.
You should care.

It may be by size.
But the more concern will be a better response from Ford,

They want to be in business.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I've tried it quite a number of times over 3 different update cycles - none of them have worked... There is nothing wrong with the XML file.

If you need to process the XML files in the order you did the updates then they have a serious problem with the design of the whole thing. They should only be concerned about updating the CURRENT status of what version you are on.

At this point I've given up - it really doesn't matter honestly. I find out about updates here before I hear about them from Ford.

As others have said repeatedly, it really shouldn't be this hard. It isn't rocket science to do this well at this point. Hopefully Ford improves how they do things. I think their partnership with Google will improve updates greatly. I'm interested to see how that plays out. (and when)
Sponsored