Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Alright folks,
I thought I would start a new thread as things change from year to year. I have read through some of the previous threads, and I’m interested in both advice and actual experience.
After driving my Tremor through last winter on the stock tires, it was clear that winter tires would be a necessity.

The stock tire size is 265 70 17. What should I be looking for in a winter tire, utilizing the stock wheels?

I drive the highway each day, about 20km each way to/from work. It gets pretty cold in Edmonton. -20 or worse for months, with a few weeks colder than -30
We also do a few trips into the mountains each winter - 350-400km, then around town, and another 350-400km home.

I will not be studding them. I really don’t mind spending the money for a good set that will last me longer and perform better. I am considering either steel wheels or finding a set of take-offs which would then likely be 18”.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Alright folks,
I thought I would start a new thread as things change from year to year. I have read through some of the previous threads, and I’m interested in both advice and actual experience.
After driving my Tremor through last winter on the stock tires, it was clear that winter tires would be a necessity.

The stock tire size is 265 70 17. What should I be looking for in a winter tire, utilizing the stock wheels?

I drive the highway each day, about 20km each way to/from work. It gets pretty cold in Edmonton. -20 or worse for months, with a few weeks colder than -30
We also do a few trips into the mountains each winter - 350-400km, then around town, and another 350-400km home.

I will not be studding them. I really don’t mind spending the money for a good set that will last me longer and perform better. I am considering either steel wheels or finding a set of take-offs which would then likely be 18”.

Thanks in advance!
I bought my wife a set of Michelin their ICE-X for her then Infiniti EX35.

Those were the best winter tires I have ever drove on. We both had driven extensively in Lake Tahoe in the winters and never had a problem. With the stock tires on her EX35 (Yokohama almost track day slicks), she really lost confidence in her snow/ice driving (not surprising really).

As soon as she got on those Ice-X tires, she was back in the saddle, man are those great winter tires.

Refiner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 tremor
Michelin ICE-X. Best for around edmonton. I'm in fort mac and that's what I use one my ranger and all other vehicles i've had. As we know Edmonton is mostly ice conditions and for what snow you get the ICE-X does very well in that too.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I ran Cooper AT3 4S on steelies for winter and liked them, so much that when the stock Hankook are done I will buy a set for my summer rims as well. I am pretty much a mall crawler with next to no off road and cottage stuff.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Dan, that width should be fine where you are with your drier climate. I’ve lived and driven in AB, BC, NB, NS, PEI, and ON in the winter. Having pizza cutters might help people get through deep snow like in NB or Southwestern Ontario but I don’t see the need where you are, even if you’re over into Banff or Jasper. Besides, you have a 4x4, with a locker, right?

However, you definitely need a top quality winter tire that will perform in those nasty prairie temperatures. Your winter temps will turn the softest tire compound into carbon steel. Ask around the tire shops what their best winter tires are for where you live - be ready to spend. ?

BryanJay

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I ran the stock all-seasons the first winter with my XLT, and decided that I wouldn’t do a second, especially since I moved out to acreage country east of Edmonton. Bought a set of Nokian Hakkapelitta R3s last winter and was really happy with them on the semi-maintained secondary roads outside the city. The truck felt a lot more sure-footed even at -30.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I'm also on Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV tires, and love them. I wanted taller to somewhat fit the 3.5" lift, and closer to the 285/70-17 height of my summers, so I went with 255/70-18 (black pack rims).

Personally I would never do winter tires without dedicated winter rims. Even just basic steelie rims are worth it, IMO.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Should I be sticking with the 265 wide?
Yes. Stock size is fine.
In PA it doesn't get as cold as Canuckistan and not usually as much snow but we get a lot of ice because the temps usually hover right around freezing and there are a lot of hills.
I've always just run all-terrains year round on my 4x4's but I've put Bridgestone Blizzaks on my wife's last few vehicles and now she's spoiled and won't roll on anything else in the winter. Her minivan goes as good as my trucks in snow and probably stops and turns better.
The other upside is your summer tires last a couple years longer because they're only on for like 7 months a year.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I too am thinking dedicated winter tires on steelie's. Nokian, Michelin & Blizzaks are
all good. A little worried about $$$$. I'll stick with same size.

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
I've posted about this before so forgive me if I repeat it again.

Good call on winter tires. I'm baffled when Arctic dwellers do the "jUsT aS gUuD" game with their lives and new trucks when having two sets of tires doubles tire life expectancy.

I run Hankook ipikeX studded on stock wheels. They are awesome, but obviously mine are studded. I'm sure they are great unstudded.

But I also agree with the Michelins, nokians, or blizzaks.

Note: stock tremor wheels hold snow badly.

Edit: I went with stock tire size to not freak out the traction computers but I dunno if that's an issue or not

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Edit: I went with stock tire size to not freak out the traction computers but I dunno if that's an issue or not
It won't freak out the traction control but a different size will throw off the speedometer, odometer, and everything that's calculated from that but you can adjust it with Forscan. A small difference in size like going from a 255/65-17 to a 255/70-17 isn't enough to matter.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Alright folks,

Thanks in advance!
Stock size is fine. The skinnier the tire, the better in snow.

The best tires i have used in snow is the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S.

The Falken Wildpeaks are very good as well.

I run these yeat round, both good off the pavement as well.
Sponsored