First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Seems as though some Bronco owners are selling their steel wheel/tire combos. I can pick those up cheap. Include TPMS. They are 16” though. Any issues there? Could them have a set of wheels/tires dedicated for winter.
Sponsored

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Where I live, we generally get a layer of ice then snow on top of it when we actually get anything. Appreciate the insight on the general atx performance in icy conditions.
It's not really good tbh, but you mentioned "when you get anything" so I assume it's not often that you have to drive in those conditions.

If that's the case you will be fine. Just remember to take it slow and brake a lot sooner than you think you should.

OP
OP
Danager

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
It's not really good tbh, but you mentioned "when you get anything" so I assume it's not often that you have to drive in those conditions.

If that's the case you will be fine. Just remember to take it slow and brake a lot sooner than you think you should.
Sorry if that was misleading. We definitely get snow, ice, etc

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I need to make a trip up to Canada to experience a week or so of your winters sometime. Here in the southeastern part of the states, what we call winter is probably closer to your spring time.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I need to make a trip up to Canada to experience a week or so of your winters sometime. Here in the southeastern part of the states, what we call winter is probably closer to your spring time.
I am thinking it will only take a day or so to get a life's worth of experience... ;)

RCAB23

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Mech. Eng.
I had a set of michelin x-ice on my focus st for winters and I never got stuck here in michigan. Looking forward to these wild peaks and 4WD on my ranger though!

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
I had a set of michelin x-ice on my focus st for winters and I never got stuck here in michigan. Looking forward to these wild peaks and 4WD on my ranger though!
The three peak mountain snowflake you'll find on those sidewalls, and some other all-terrains, is incredibly misleading. It's a self-reported test conducted by the tire maker themselves, and to pass it, all a tire has to do is demonstrate acceleration traction on packed snow that's 10% superior to a reference all-season tire from the early '90s. 3PMSF is not indicative of any designed, intended, or actual performance in the vast array of conditions you'll actually encounter during winter driving.

M+S is even worse. It simply represents a certain ratio of void to lug in a two-dimensional analysis of the tread pattern.

Run a real winter tire. The difference will shock you.

RCAB23

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Mech. Eng.
Can you recommend a real tire? I had 0 issues with those tires, however misleading they are, with my FWD Focus ST. I was definitely not back country exploring however, this was all city/highway and we dont get -40 in Detroit. They were highly recommended in the ST forums when I was winter tire shopping.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
You
The three peak mountain snowflake you'll find on those sidewalls, and some other all-terrains, is incredibly misleading. It's a self-reported test conducted by the tire maker themselves, and to pass it, all a tire has to do is demonstrate acceleration traction on packed snow that's 10% superior to a reference all-season tire from the early '90s. 3PMSF is not indicative of any designed, intended, or actual performance in the vast array of conditions you'll actually encounter during winter driving.

M+S is even worse. It simply represents a certain ratio of void to lug in a two-dimensional analysis of the tread pattern.

are correct on this sir. I got to learn the hard way on why Snow tires are important. With that said I am still impressed with the Firestone Destination XT's performance in snow and ice. I also understand that a snow tire will still beat the XT in the snow and ice

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
We are big fans of all-season Nokia tires. Not studded but they feel really secure here in New Hampshire. My wife put 60K miles on a set and drove them all year round for over a year (she used to put on 60K per year for her commute). Solid in warmer weather, grippy in rain, and certainly felt good on snow and confident on black ice (well, as good as you can be on black ice).

Once my stock Bridgestones go, I'll find stock size Nokias. Maybe these:

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-terrain-tires/nokian-tyres-outpost-at/

Update: I'm two wheel drive.

1661362191155.png

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Seems as though some Bronco owners are selling their steel wheel/tire combos. I can pick those up cheap. Include TPMS. They are 16” though. Any issues there? Could them have a set of wheels/tires dedicated for winter.
from Tirerack if you get get 16 inch wheels cheap

38024DD6-1D30-40F6-9870-9F4C5EF89D31.png

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired

This indeed.

My summers are 3peak M&S which I take off for Winter tires, and get questioned by lots of people. I explain exactly that they are okay in snow, but nothing compared to proper winter tires. It's also a nice bonus that my winters even thought top of the line are still cheaper than my Duratracs, so saving money by saving wear on them.

There are lots of factors in the math, but if you are keeping the vehicle for ~100K miles across 4-6 years, the cost of winters on dedicated rims is almost a break even. If you keep it 150K miles you are ahead, and if you are like me and planning to be the only owner with 200K miles minimum, you'll come out well ahead.

You can also add to that better performance and better MPG with properly match tires to the season.
Sponsored