Biggest tire size without modifications on ‘22 Lariat Tremor?

JBHunkamunka

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Aftermarket Wheel and Tire sales
I’m waiting for the factory tires to wear down before getting new wheels and tires for my Tremor. I’ve been seeing some conflicting reports and can’t seem to get a straight answer.

I’m gonna be going up to 20x9 wheels instead of the factory 17s and I wanted to know if I’d be clear of the crash bar with 285/55s or if I should play it safer and go with 275/55s.

I know the 275 would clear but having that extra inch the 285s bring would fill out the wheel well a lot nicer and look a little bit more aggressive.
Sponsored

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
All I know is that I run 285/70/17 with 1" front lift spacer and 1" wheel spacers, FOR SURE needed the crash bars removed. I was able to drive the car to lunch after the tires but after lunch we removed the crash bars because the rubbing was bad.

If you leave the height at stock, I might have been able to do a 275/70/17 but with the 1" wheel spacers, it already required me to push the crash bars out to avoid rubbing. By push them out, I mean I loosened the hardware, moved the crash bars away from the tires and tightened them up. Resolved the rubbing with 1" wheel spacers and stock tires.

Hopefully this helps you figure out the math on what you can run.

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
I had significant rubbing on front and rear crash bars with 285/70r17 with 1" bora spacers. With crash bars removed I might be able to fit 34's-35's with my lift. I think you will definitely be removing the crash bars with the size you want.

OP
OP

JBHunkamunka

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
I had significant rubbing on front and rear crash bars with 285/70r17 with 1" bora spacers. With crash bars removed I might be able to fit 34's-35's with my lift. I think you will definitely be removing the crash bars with the size you want.
I’m hoping I don’t have to remove anything because I got the warranty on it and I don’t want to void it. The wheels are gonna be 20x9 with a +18 offset so it won’t be poking out of the fender if my measurements were correct, but I’m hoping the 285-55/20s would clear the crash bars.

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
I’m hoping I don’t have to remove anything because I got the warranty on it and I don’t want to void it. The wheels are gonna be 20x9 with a +18 offset so it won’t be poking out of the fender if my measurements were correct, but I’m hoping the 285-55/20s would clear the crash bars.
Pulling an axle nut to drop the axle would have zero effect on your warranty. You should purchase new nuts, as they are one time use and are only $4 a piece. It is extremely unlikely that you will clear your crash bars with that tire size. It is extremely likely you will do permanent damage to your CV axle during your installation.

Edit: Pulling the OEM struts alone can damage the axle. You have to pull the lower control arm down so low to cleat the studs on the OEM strut you will be pulling the Axle. Now imagine doing it with a spacer installed. Even if it somehow doesn't come apart, which it likely will, that doesn't mean it won't be damaged internally. Just my $0.02, good luck!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Am I correct that Tremor wheels and tires are +55 offset and 275 width?

If so you're going to move the outside of your tire 42mm or about 1 ⅝" out. You should be able to turn the wheel and measure out to crashbars to see if you'll hit them.

I don't think you have a chance of clearing the crashbars with the 285s. The 275s might even get into the crashbar as that only saves you 5mm theoretically.

Why 20"s?

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
I just saw a website that had quite a few rangers with the bigger wheels on them I think it was called "Custom Offsets" They had the breakdown of wheel and tire specs, and what was done to fit them. They had several rangers with 20" wheels that looked really good. I don't know how to link, but if you search 2019 ranger 20" wheels, it should come up.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Am I correct that Tremor wheels and tires are +55 offset and 275 width?

If so you're going to move the outside of your tire 42mm or about 1 ⅝" out. You should be able to turn the wheel and measure out to crashbars to see if you'll hit them.

I don't think you have a chance of clearing the crashbars with the 285s. The 275s might even get into the crashbar as that only saves you 5mm theoretically.

Why 20"s?
Stock Tremor comes with +42 offset on 8" wide wheels with 265/70/17 tires.

I have zero experience with 20" wheels, but when I went to my current setup (285/70/17 on +35 8.5" wheels and a 1" spacer) I had to remove crash bars, plastic waffle, mud flaps, and cut a bit of the liner. Without the spacer on, I was able to fit with the crash bars replaced with the ReadyLift low clearance bars (added the spacer to make clearance for new UCA).

Everyone (I was guilty of this as well) is always asking "will this size fit". I have learned that anytime you start messing with front end suspension (including wheels and tires), there is no guaranteed answer. Just have to try and then tweak things as you go. If not comfortable with that, easier to stick with stock, which on a Tremor is super capable.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Stock Tremor comes with +42 offset on 8" wide wheels with 265/70/17 tires.

I have zero experience with 20" wheels, but when I went to my current setup (285/70/17 on +35 8.5" wheels and a 1" spacer) I had to remove crash bars, plastic waffle, mud flaps, and cut a bit of the liner. Without the spacer on, I was able to fit with the crash bars replaced with the ReadyLift low clearance bars (added the spacer to make clearance for new UCA).

Everyone (I was guilty of this as well) is always asking "will this size fit". I have learned that anytime you start messing with front end suspension (including wheels and tires), there is no guaranteed answer. Just have to try and then tweak things as you go. If not comfortable with that, easier to stick with stock, which on a Tremor is super capable.
I thought was off on the stock specs.

But my point remains, he should be able to get a rough idea with a tape measure and math.

It doesn't help that not all tires in the same size are really the same size. A test fit is ideal and I know at least one local Discount Tire that will do a test fit for people. When I test fit my desired size, 255/80 17, in one manufacturer the results were slightly different than the Toyos I ended up with.

OP
OP

JBHunkamunka

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
I thought was off on the stock specs.

But my point remains, he should be able to get a rough idea with a tape measure and math.

It doesn't help that not all tires in the same size are really the same size. A test fit is ideal and I know at least one local Discount Tire that will do a test fit for people. When I test fit my desired size, 255/80 17, in one manufacturer the results were slightly different than the Toyos I ended up with.
I’m gonna put Amp tires on my truck when the Generals wear down and I’ve been looking at a set of Mayhem wheels that I think would look great with the Cactus Grey

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I’m gonna put Amp tires on my truck when the Generals wear down and I’ve been looking at a set of Mayhem wheels that I think would look great with the Cactus Grey
Sounds like both come with a free one of these...

images.jpeg

OP
OP

JBHunkamunka

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sounds like both come with a free one of these...

images.jpeg
Hahaha I promise it’s not as edgy as it sounds. These are the ones I’m probably gonna do because it’s a departure from the Tremor split spoke
4D26141B-B6E1-4F18-B82A-46157F21C6F9.jpeg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Hahaha I promise it’s not as edgy as it sounds. These are the ones I’m probably gonna do because it’s a departure from the Tremor split spoke
4D26141B-B6E1-4F18-B82A-46157F21C6F9.jpeg
Not bad.

Even better if you could find a different centercap.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Not a fan of those wheels.

But to each their own.

255/80/17 fits stock.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I’m waiting for the factory tires to wear down before getting new wheels and tires for my Tremor. I’ve been seeing some conflicting reports and can’t seem to get a straight answer.

I’m gonna be going up to 20x9 wheels instead of the factory 17s and I wanted to know if I’d be clear of the crash bar with 285/55s or if I should play it safer and go with 275/55s.

I know the 275 would clear but having that extra inch the 285s bring would fill out the wheel well a lot nicer and look a little bit more aggressive.
20" wheel super fabulous for driving to the mall. They will be horrid if you do any real off roading, as you will have little tire balloon to deflate when you air down, so squish over rocks and jaggedy stuff will be dramatically reduced, you will need to keep tire pressure up to avoid pinch flats.
Sponsored