Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Can you recommend a real tire? I had 0 issues with those tires, however misleading they are, with my FWD Focus ST. I was definitely not back country exploring however, this was all city/highway and we dont get -40 in Detroit. They were highly recommended in the ST forums when I was winter tire shopping.
See my detailed post earlier in this thread. Easiest option is just go to Costco and get Blizzaks.
Sponsored

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
See my detailed post earlier in this thread. Easiest option is just go to Costco and get Blizzaks.
Wes is 100% correct. I grew up where he's living right now, and wouldn't go without winter tires. All of the people who think 3PMS rating means winter is lying to themselves.

The physical makeup of the tires are different. The tread blocks, the types of rubber used, everything about winter tires is designed to work in cold weather.

With the types of rubber that we've developed as of now, physics don't allow for an A/T tire that has 60k treadwear to be soft & grippy in the winter. Hard rubbers are used to get that mileage and durability, and they get even harder in the winter.

To second what Wes said before too, 4WD/AWD will get you going, but most people forget about the most important part - stopping. Panic breaking, accident avoidance maneuvers, sharp turns, avoiding animals in the road, etc.. are all areas where you'll see massive gains by having a dedicated set.

Living in Colorado and being an avid skier, I beg of everyone to get a set of dedicated winter tires. Traffic/accidents would improve beyond belief if everyone just equipped their cars properly before venturing into the mountains.

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Can you recommend a real tire? I had 0 issues with those tires, however misleading they are, with my FWD Focus ST. I was definitely not back country exploring however, this was all city/highway and we dont get -40 in Detroit. They were highly recommended in the ST forums when I was winter tire shopping.
I think Wes was referring to the Wildpeaks, not the x-ice. The x-ice is one of the best winter tires on the market.

I ran wildpeaks for a winter once. Wont do it again. They were great for about 3000 miles, but once it got actually cold, they turned out to be the same as all the others. Too hard of rubber to do well in cold conditions. Buy dedicated winters, you have a $30k+ truck, how angry would you be if you total it rear ending somebody because you couldn't stop, just to "save" $800?

RCAB23

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Mech. Eng.
Ahh that makes more sense now. I was confused! Trust me im on the same page, I had dedicated winters on my focus before I traded it in, and will have dedicated winters on my ranger. I never skimp on things that connect me to the ground (tires, mattress, shoes, etc.).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Danager

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I picked up that set of 2021 Bronco take-offs. Five 16” steel wheels with TPMS, Bronco center caps, and Bridgestone Dueller 255/70 R16 with less than 100km on them.
I will sell the rubber and probably the extra wheel. This should just about break even.
Even if I scrap the tires (I won’t), steel wheels are $100 each, and TPMS are $115 each - all for $450CAD.

Now looking for a really good set of 265/75 R16 tires. Oh, and something to cover up those horses on the center caps.

498EACD1-FDD0-430A-885C-992CFCEF9FEE.jpeg

OP
OP
Danager

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Because the Bronco wheels are 16”, I need to get a different aspect ratio to match the height of the stock Tremor wheels. @265/70 17.

My options are:
A) Yokohama Ice Guard G075 @265/75 16 = same height as what I have now. $259ea.

B) Michelin x-ice - although this is not available in a 265/75 16. I can get it in 265/70 16 = -1” from the current tires. $281ea.

C) Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2 - although this is not available in a 265/75 16. I can get it in 265/70 16 = -1” from the current tires. $255ea.

Most of the comparisons I have found rank the Yokohama #3. They also consistently rank the x-ice and Blizzak as either #1 or #2 - but they are consistently in the top 2.

Now, what do you folks think - stick with the same overall size and go with Yokohamas? Go to a slightly smaller size (I believe the same as all other 4x4 Rangers) to get a slightly better tire? Keep in mind I’m in Canada (affects pricing and availability). The prices posted are an average, and the spread is only going to be $100 - so I will say the price between these is not an issue. Bridgestone has a 265/75 16 listed, but they seem to not be available currently. Based on your comments so far, any of these will be a SIGNIFICANT improvement.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I am a big proponent of dedicated winter tires. My Tremor came with General Grabber ATx all terrain tires. My experience over the years with AT tires in the winter has not been good and I fully planned to get winter tires for the Ranger. I was surprised to find that the Grabber ATx tires had the Mountain Snow Flake designation so I decided to give them a try. While not as good a true studless ice and snow tire on ice they were more than adequate in snow and slush.

For the truck I had before the Ranger I used Firestone Winter Force tires. These are a studable winter tire. They are an absolute beast in snow, ice and slush but do give up some performance on dry pavement and get real mushy if the temps rise above 50F.
I put on my winter tires back in late fall of 2019.
I got sent home from work around April 2020 with 55,000 miles on my car. I now have only 55,500 miles on my car.
I never got around to take my winter tires off, and I expect to be in my Ranger long before another summer comes. :)
But yes, I believe in winter tires, and I believe in love.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
I run 235/85r16 Firestone winterforce at 32” tall. I usually run blizzacks but couldn’t find any on short notice. No complaints.

Summer is 265/75r16, slightly shorter tire.
I got an extra set of steelies shipped to me for $200.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Cant speak for the Yokohama tires but I can guarantee they will do better in winter vs a non winter tire. Not sure if it is available in 265/75-16 but a brand to consider is Nokian. They make great snow tires as well.

OP
OP
Danager

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I realized I am overanalyzing this. And like has been pointed out - any reputable name winter tire is going to be a significant improvement.

Ordered the Yokohamas, which should arrive in a day or two. The weather has been unseasonably warm. I will hold off putting the winter tires on the truck - something I can do myself. Need to dig out the OEM chrome lug nuts. And what to do about the Bronco logo on the centre caps..?

MarkAS

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Tremor
Would Costco put on tires that are not the stock size for your truck? They don't carry any winter tires for the size used on the Tremor stock wheels so I was thinking of buying a set of 16-17" steelies with a slightly different tire size. With the way their tire selector is set up online made me wonder if they would do this or not.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I think Wes was referring to the Wildpeaks, not the x-ice. The x-ice is one of the best winter tires on the market.

I ran wildpeaks for a winter once. Wont do it again. They were great for about 3000 miles, but once it got actually cold, they turned out to be the same as all the others. Too hard of rubber to do well in cold conditions. Buy dedicated winters, you have a $30k+ truck, how angry would you be if you total it rear ending somebody because you couldn't stop, just to "save" $800?
A Blizzak package from Tirerack with steelies and tpms sensors will set one back $1130.00 plus tax if applicable

OP
OP
Danager

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Would Costco put on tires that are not the stock size for your truck? They don't carry any winter tires for the size used on the Tremor stock wheels so I was thinking of buying a set of 16-17" steelies with a slightly different tire size. With the way their tire selector is set up online made me wonder if they would do this or not.
They quoted me various sizes in the store. I told her I was going from 17” stock to 16” steelies, and she was okay with that.
Sponsored