First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Maybe don't want to hurt Explorer sales?
The Explorer will have the Bronco coming later this year to North America only, it won't be sold anywhere else.. It too, will have the same basic architecture as the global Everest and Endeavour. Dropping the Rangers in NA was probably the most visible mistake of the Mulally era; should've kept it and axed Lincoln when Mercury had to go IMHO.
And as far as the Explorer goes, there is a three row version of the Escape in the works.
Sponsored

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ill say this, the Everest is one of the best vehicles Ive eve owned. Its a big enough 7 seater, with some offroad capabilities. I have no idea why Ford is keeping it from the states.

IMG_2592.jpg
I'd take one in a heartbeat, I don't care for unibody vehicles much.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ill say this, the Everest is one of the best vehicles Ive eve owned. Its a big enough 7 seater, with some offroad capabilities. I have no idea why Ford is keeping it from the states.
Different markets. By the time you finish redesigning it to sell in north america it's closer to the explorer than the everest.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Different markets. By the time you finish redesigning it to sell in north america it's closer to the explorer than the everest.
I dont agree with this ( respectfully ofcourse :)) , simply bc Ive owned the explorer here. They are not the same at all, from the engines to the drive train and interior. This is excluding the huge price difference between a High end Everest to a low End Explorer.
Its like comparing the US made ranger to an Explorer.
They tool the time to re design for the Ranger, its not far fetched for the Everest. The Everest is a Ranger SUV so much so, that service manuals have both units in them.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont agree with this ( respectfully ofcourse :)) , simply bc Ive owned the explorer here. They are not the same at all, from the engines to the drive train and interior. This is excluding the huge price difference between a High end Everest to a low End Explorer.
Its like comparing the US made ranger to an Explorer.
They tool the time to re design for the Ranger, its not far fetched for the Everest. The Everest is a Ranger SUV so much so, that service manuals have both units in them.
Ford redesigned the ranger for NA because it didn't have another truck in that segment, and it's clear that they cut corners in the process to get something out quickly. It'll be interesting to see what they put into the next gen, and whether all the same features end up in the US and AU markets. Anyway, as it stands the everest just wouldn't make enough money here to make it worth the investment it would take to bring it over. If they didn't do anything but drop the 2.0 in it they'd have a mediocre vehicle that doesn't really shine in any area compared to its competitors, and would be a case study on why there are so few small body on frame SUVs left in the market and even fewer without independent rear suspension. And that's only if that package managed to meet US regulations. If they focused a redesign to optimize for on-road performance at best they'd end up with an explorer and slice up the same customers. If they instead were to emphasize off-road experience to target different customers than the explorer, well, that's how they got the new bronco. Now ford already has both of those, so what niche would the everest fill that could bring in customers that wouldn't buy an explorer or a bronco? It's not enough that some guys might prefer a body on frame, you need to find a couple billion dollars worth of customers that you weren't otherwise going to get. As far as I can tell in the Philippines the everest is positioned largely as a value play beneath the explorer, and ford can't make any money with that positioning in NA--it cuts off the possibility of the high margin trims that drive most of the profits.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_2592.jpg
I have seen a number of these overseas, and I totally agree! It is no doubt a marketing decision, as its sales in the U.S. would eat into those of the Explorer, Ranger, Escape, Expedition, Bronco, etc. Still, if Ford did bring them here, I would definitely take a hard look at one, and a long test drive....

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle

IMG_2592.jpg
It is like Ford's version of a 4-Runner. An off road capable SUV rather than a crossover like the Edge and Explorer. I like it! I Guess too much competition with Ford's US market bread and butter SUVs.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
It is like Ford's version of a 4-Runner. An off road capable SUV rather than a crossover like the Edge and Explorer. I like it! I Guess too much competition with Ford's US market bread and butter SUVs.
I kinda liked it 'til you said that! :giggle:
Of course I don't think the Ranger is Ford's version of a Tacoma either, :puke:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I wasn't a fly on the wall, but here's how my hindsight works:
Go back to 2015-17 or perhaps earlier. We had the FWD-based Explorer-Taurus-Flex-MKT in NA. while the global markets had the 5G Ranger-Everest-Endeavour. At the time, a decision was made to cease vehicle production in Australia by 2017; Oz-market T6 Vehicles now are built in Thailand.
Meanwhile back at the ranch (Mich. Assembly), the Focus and C-Max were also going to be discontinued, leaving a large empty building. Toyota and GM were running away with midsize trucks without so much as a dimple in their full size sales, the Oz tooling for their 5G Ranger is put on a boat to Wayne, MI, and tweaked for NA. Oz is tasked with coming up with a new 6G Ranger/Everest/Endeavour to be built globally, and the Bronco is engineered in NA to our specs, and built on what will become common architecture once the 6G Ranger goes into production. Either marketing, the dealers, or manufacturing space and cost dictated that the Everest would not also be built here. Probably all of the above, to one degree or another.

Further reading the tea leaves, I am starting to wonder how much longer the CD6 platform has. The CD2 is turning out to be Ford's Swiss Army knife unibody architecture for all things ICE-powered; Escape, Bronco Sport, Maverick truck, 3-row (7-seat) Escape. Makes the Explorer/Aviator redundant? The next ICE Mustang now will get its own architecture instead of using CD6, but the S650 'Stang, "will use elements of the CD6 platform."

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
Does not suit my taste, but LOOOOK at the A Pilar grab handle!!! Lets make it retrofit for the 2019's and 2020's

1611594004474.png

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Does not suit my taste, but LOOOOK at the A Pilar grab handle!!! Lets make it retrofit for the 2019's and 2020's

1611594004474.png
I totally agree. I do not need one to get into the truck, but I sure would like one!

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019.5 Ford Ranger XLT CPR
Occupation
Retired LEO/Retired Military/Doctoral Student
...and why can’t Ford design the rear bumper with steps incorporated into the corners. Does Chevy have a patent on it? If not do something with the tailgate too. It would me nice if half opened horizontally or had a ladder incorporated like my 2013 F150... Sry just venting.....

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's already a handle there in the overseas models, it was a late delete when they brought it to the US. (My B&P from 2018 lists it as a standard feature.)

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
"a payload of up to 1,098 kg (2,420 lbs)"

that's all I want out of that truck
Sponsored