why does recirculation turn off automatically?

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
howdy folks. USA 2019 XL here. why does air recirculation turn off after a few minutes automatically? any ideas about how to force it to stay on internal recirc?
Sponsored

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Recirc shuts off to prevent stale air in the cabin.

Max A/C also closes fresh air intake and only uses recirc'd air.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
Mine stays on. Sometimes on restart ti will be off. I have yet to figure out why it does sometimes and not others. But once on with the engine running, it stays on. That is while running the AC with or without max cool but on the coldest setting because Houston is a hot humid armpit most of the year. I have no clue what it does on heat or defrost.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Hello Char:

From the 2019 Owner's manual:
Note: Recirculated air may turn off, or prevent you from switching on, in all air flow modes except MAX A/C to reduce the risk of fogging. Recirculation may also turn on and off in various air distribution control combinations during hot weather to improve cooling efficiency.

You only thought you had control of your vehicle. :crackup:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Hello Char:

From the 2019 Owner's manual:
Note: Recirculated air may turn off, or prevent you from switching on, in all air flow modes except MAX A/C to reduce the risk of fogging. Recirculation may also turn on and off in various air distribution control combinations during hot weather to improve cooling efficiency.

You only thought you had control of your vehicle. :crackup:
I was a little grumpy when I read that in the manual. My main use of recirculation is so I don't have to smell the cigarette smoke from others around me at stoplights.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I actually find it convenient because I mostly use recirculate for things like passing through a foul oder, then forget to turn it off.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I actually find it convenient because I mostly use recirculate for things like passing through a foul oder, then forget to turn it off.
I'd be okay if all it did was automatically switch back after awhile. But to refuse to engage recirculation in the first place, as it says may happen in the manual? I'm not pleased about the prospect of that happening. And for me, someone else's cigarette smoke is more than just a foul odor. I got cancer 11yrs ago, and it appears the most likely reason for that is exposure to secondhand smoke.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'd be okay if all it did was automatically switch back after awhile. But to refuse to engage recirculation in the first place, as it says may happen in the manual? I'm not pleased about the prospect of that happening. And for me, someone else's cigarette smoke is more than just a foul odor. I got cancer 11yrs ago, and it appears the most likely reason for that is exposure to secondhand smoke.
I've never experienced it not turning on so I can't speak to that. I don't think tobacco smoke from another car through a cabin air filter is a measurable cancer risk.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I've never experienced it not turning on so I can't speak to that. I don't think tobacco smoke from another car through a cabin air filter is a measurable cancer risk.
Frankly, I don't GAF what you think. You'd be surprised how measurable that actually is. With my education background, I got a bit more understanding into this than I really wanted, and at this point, I wish to avoid as much exposure to secondhand smoke as possible. My risk for future cancers is already highly elevated, and I don't want to be adding more exposures to the same shit that caused the first one.

Beyond the cancer risk scenario, I find tobacco smoke to be a more offensive aroma than skunks.

I also don't want my vehicle deciding this for me. When I'm sitting at a light for a few minutes and don't want to be smelling someone else's smoke, I don't want to deal with it. I can deal with a little bit of windshield fogging in that scenario. It's never been a problem with previous vehicles.

At least I now know that I can use the Max A/C setting to reliably deal with it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
with that said, I have a fair question...do you wear a respirator everywhere you go? because serious dude, you're not avoiding pollutants by recirculating the air in your truck cabin, second hand cigarette smoke or anything else included. you need a plastic bubble or pajamas made from hepa filters.
Hi Rp,

I just replaced my cabin filter in my MKX Lincoln....4 years old with 21,000 miles....Amazed at the crap trapped in the filter. We do use recirc when passing through a dust storm, but the amount of stuff in the filter gives me pause for concern for the effectiveness of using recirc....more critical is the quality of the cabin filter....JMO!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
It was hot here today for one of the few times since I got the truck. I turned the air on an it came on recirc....I turned recirc off, got where I was going an parked. When I restarted it to leave hours later the recirc came back on but it wasn't on recirc when I parked.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Much better that when it shuts off you get to smell the exhaust fumes of whoever is in front of you! Poor design as far as I’m concerned. This is about my only beef with my ranger.

mursegeorge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4x4
Occupation
ICU nurse
the design is to shut off for the stale air, or the air becoming too humid which will fog the windows . im sure creeping CO levels are also a concern if you only breathe in that environment for some time. hello nappy time while driving if you do it long enough. that lane keeping system comes in handy then too. jury is still out how the tailgate damper helps, but I am sure someone has linked the benefits.
Max AC needs the recirculated air to get colder than it normally would.
The tailgate dampener helps with erectile dysfunction. Every-time I see it ease down so slowly and smooth, I'm stimulated!
Sponsored