Why no diesel Ranger in the US?

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Yes I do agree with some of the above sentiments, the two engine types have grown together over the last 20 years ago. Modern petrols are more efficient and longer lasting than ever before. Modern diesels now have equivalent or even more power that a similar sized petrol but in the process have gained complexity and lost some durability.

I owned a Nissan Pathfinder 2.7 litre diesel( old school, OHV, indirect injected, dirty, smoky) for about 11 years and in that time put about 500,000 Km on it. In that time I changed the alternator twice (Hitachi alternators are crap) and the usual filters and oil etc. I also had to get the (mechanical) injector pump rebuilt with new seals when Australia switched over to ULS diesel. That's it, I NEVER touched the engine proper in all that time.

Somehow I don't think my vastly more powerful Ford Duratorque 3.2 will last that same distance with as few issues.

I't a shame Ford Australia didn't release the Ranger here with the Ecoboost engine, I think it would have sold well to city buyers.
But we are largely a diesel commercial engine market here, in the outback sometimes diesel is the ONLY fuel available.
Sponsored

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Many states are stopping sales of ICE power in the future and diesel is included. California has even clamped down on mobile refer units such as Thermo King. The units will have to run on electric while parked at warehouse facilities and only use diesel while out on the route, even then they have aftermarket DPF units which are a bitch to keep operational. There is also a push to make all local delivery trucks up thru class 5 be electric powered only. All of this was coming in when I retired and it will continue to get worse.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Why does anybody believe that diesels are "complex" or "difficult" to work on?
It's as simple as it gets!
I will admit that the US EPA standards make a diesel unreliable and inefficient, but once you remove all that crap, it has more power and efficiency with a lot less problems.
Diesels are as simple! My favorite motor is the 12v71 Detroit. Any window licker can work on it and it sounds like satan raping a dozen demons!
I would like a diesel option.
Put one of those in your Ranger :giggle: :rockon::whew:

just don't use the remote start...

1605149157114.png

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If there was a diesel option available in the US I would've had to think pretty hard come purchase time honestly. The Ecoboost is a good alternative and gives near diesel efficiency and power from gas though. But if I could've gotten 25-30% better mileage over the life of the truck, especially given the way I drive, it might've worked out alright for me. But alas, it'll never happen now. The US missed the small diesel boat. Instead we'll move toward hybrid and full-electric vehicles, which isn't a bad move in my opinion. Or at least isn't a bad interim between gasoline and the next combustible fuel. Really I think something like hydrogen is the ultimate way to go. It's already very abundant, can be quite efficient, only emission is water, and can be created over and over using renewable energy (like wind or solar). Really the only problem with hydrogen is that industry doesn't want to invest in it, so there's no support system or infrastructure for it.

Just my two cents.
Don't forget that catalytic converters were going to turn car exhaust into " harmless carbon dioxide and water"... now CO2 is considered by many in power to be air pollution.
even Solar and wind have environmental impact.
No greater harm than self-seeking political power mongers telling lies to support their agendas.
Shucks... one state even passed a tax on bicycles because of excessive CO2 emissions from heavy breathing (no kidding)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Don't forget that catalytic converters were going to turn car exhaust into " harmless carbon dioxide and water"... now CO2 is considered by many in power to be air pollution.
The catalytic converters clean up some pretty noxious pollutants and have really helped reduce smog and acid rain. The fact that there are other problems that also need to be addressed doesn't change that. Most people learn early on that life is a series of challenges, not just one and done.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The catalytic converters clean up some pretty noxious pollutants and have really helped reduce smog and acid rain. The fact that there are other problems that also need to be addressed doesn't change that. Most people learn early on that life is a series of challenges, not just one and done.
As valid as your point might be, it is not relevant to the point I made....
Please reread both paragraphs.

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1] I guess I don't understand the point of your argument. 2] Are you saying that since a single solution doesn't completely solve a problem, that we just shouldn't even try to do it? Obviously nothing has zero consequences. That's the law of nature and energy. But just because solar and wind power still have some environmental impact, doesn't mean they still aren't much better than coal and fossil fuels for the environment. We should always be trying to be better and improve. And my only point in my original post was that, in my opinion, hydrogen is a better way to go for the future. 3] I didn't realize such a mild and offhanded opinion would cause such controversy and anger.
1] OK... Its about testing the motives of those only seeking political power without any genuine concern for real solutions.

2] No that's not what I was saying..... Being a good steward of the earth is incumbent upon each of us, not just the green zealots.

3] I said nothing in anger, or for that matter , nothing which was intended to be argumentative.

Last edited:
OP
OP
winmag4582001

winmag4582001

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
I really like diesel. BMW, Audi, VW, Case IH, CAT, Cummings, Detroit, ect ect.
But I guess I'm outnumbered here in the states.

(Americans reaction to diesel vehicles)
awwwww.jpg

:like:

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
3.0 PowerStroke:
250hp / 440ft. lb.
11,440lbs towing capacity
22mpg city / 30mpg hwy / 26 combined
Cost of diesel upgrade: $2,400 ($4,000 for 3.0 vs $1,600 for 3.5)
Current avg. PA diesel price (via AAA): $2.74/gal
23gal (F150) @ $2.74/gal = $63.02/tank
26mpg * 23gal = 598mi range
$63.02 / 598mi = $0.11/mi

3.5 EcoBoost:
375hp / 470ft. lb
5,100lbs towing capacity
17mpg city / 23mpg hwy / 20 combined
Current avg. PA 87 gas price (via AAA): $2.44/gal
23gal @ $2.44/gal = $56.12/tank
20mpg * 23gal = 460mi/tank
$56.12 / 460mi = $0.12/mi
I'm surprise no one has pointed anything out yet - not sure where you got your tow ratings, @SILK , but the 3.5 Ecoboost F150 is rated to tow 13,200 lb :) a good more than the diesel.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
I'm surprise no one has pointed anything out yet - not sure where you got your tow ratings, @SILK , but the 3.5 Ecoboost F150 is rated to tow 13,200 lb :) a good more than the diesel.
I figured there would be some sort of inaccuracy there LOL. When I was reading the site I was looking at, I was like WTF this seems wrong! But I looked somewhere else and it also said that. Of course I can't find the site anymore.

Truly a fuckup by me. Luckily, it only reinforces my point :)

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I figured there would be some sort of inaccuracy there LOL. When I was reading the site I was looking at, I was like WTF this seems wrong! But I looked somewhere else and it also said that. Of course I can't find the site anymore.

Truly a fuckup by me. Luckily, it only reinforces my point :)
Haha no worries. Here's a link for the end-all-be-all capability stats that Ford releases:

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...neral/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_F150_Oct15.pdf

One thing I will point out though, is that the diesel doesn't tow less than the Ecoboost because of the actual limitations of the diesel. It's because Ford decided not to make it out-tow the Ecoboost. Ford's marketing team has to be able to convince their buyers that a turbo V6 is tough, so the headline stat needs Ecoboost in there.

The diesel has its advantages for some consumers for the F150, but definitely not in the same way as the powerstrokes in Superduties.
Sponsored