why does recirculation turn off automatically?

erty176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Designer
Living in California's central valley with some of the worst air quality in the US, can confirm having recirculation stay on would be a useful feature, especially on the days with heavy wildfire smoke. The ranger is also the first vehicle I've had where it turns itself off. Because the air here is so dry, I don't think fogging would be a concern, especially during the summer where it can be up to 115 degrees. Having max AC is really the only way I've found to solve it unfortunately.
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
It may be a response to inside temp vs outside.
Since buying my Ranger in May, I leave the temp set to 72 deg. I had never seen it switch off recirc. But the last few days we had mornings in the 50's. I still have the temp set to 72, but now notice the recirc switches off.

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
It may be a response to inside temp vs outside.
Since buying my Ranger in May, I leave the temp set to 72 deg. I had never seen it switch off recirc. But the last few days we had mornings in the 50's. I still have the temp set to 72, but now notice the recirc switches off.
I believe you’re correct that outside air temperature has something to do with it turning off. I bought my ranger in late July have had the AC set at 65 and it’s never turned off the air recirculation until it’s cooled off lately.

Once outside air temp dropped below 65 I notice it turns off after a few minutes. Which makes sense since it’s cooler air temp outside than I set it. I live in a rural area and have a long drive to Work so

I drive through a hand full of spots that have skunks that either sprayed or been hit on the road, not a pleasant smell at 2:30am drive lol. So I have become vigilant to turn it back on second it turns off.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I drive through a hand full of spots that have skunks that either sprayed or been hit on the road, not a pleasant smell at 2:30am drive lol. So I have become vigilant to turn it back on second it turns off.
side note - due to handling a lot of trapping scent lures for a period of time, eau de skunk is no longer offensive to me. in all honesty, I find it kindof pleasant anymore.

my passengers? not so much

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Ok fine, what is the solution to the outside of windshield fogging up, besides the wipers?
That’s more aggravating to me.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
The
Ok fine, what is the solution to the outside of windshield fogging up, besides the wipers?
That’s more aggravating to me.
When the ambient air temperature rises faster than the temperature of the windshield, the moisture in the air condenses on the windshield and you can get fog/frost. The the higher the dew point (humidity), the more persistent the fog/frost. Same thing happens on a beveage can: take it out of the fridge, the can is colder than the kitchen- boom.
Back to the windshield: park facing the sun, or set your HVAC to max defrost while using your wipers. this will clear the fog/frost quicker. Once the windshield is clear enough, you can go back to your desired settings.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
The

When the ambient air temperature rises faster than the temperature of the windshield, the moisture in the air condenses on the windshield and you can get fog/frost. The the higher the dew point (humidity), the more persistent the fog/frost. Same thing happens on a beveage can: take it out of the fridge, the can is colder than the kitchen- boom.
Back to the windshield: park facing the sun, or set your HVAC to max defrost while using your wipers. this will clear the fog/frost quicker. Once the windshield is clear enough, you can go back to your desired settings.
I understand why, I’m referring to when driving in damp, cool or humid weather and moisture develops outside on the windshield where the hood meets.
I want to know why haven’t engineers haven’t come up with a fix for that.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
side note - due to handling a lot of trapping scent lures for a period of time, eau de skunk is no longer offensive to me. in all honesty, I find it kindof pleasant anymore.

Just open some beaver lure....something about the castor scent is almost calming :thumbsup: Season opens this Saturday :rockon::clap:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I understand why, I’m referring to when driving in damp, cool or humid weather and moisture develops outside on the windshield where the hood meets.
I want to know why haven’t engineers haven’t come up with a fix for that.
They have: just set the hvac to warm and point it at the window.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Just open some beaver lure....something about the castor scent is almost calming :thumbsup: Season opens this Saturday :rockon::clap:
otter lure, now that's a whole other ballgame. never could remotely tolerate that stuff.

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping

I don’t know if I could ever get use to that smell lol. I see a few once in a while on the property but usually a few hundred feet away from any dwellings.

Now if only the Muskrats would stay away.

This morning there was some bad smells on my drive in. I just wish I knew why Ford decided to have the recirculating stop on its own. In the summer when it’s hot out with AC on it will stay on and never turn itself off.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
howdy folks. USA 2019 XL here. why does air recirculation turn off after a few minutes automatically? any ideas about how to force it to stay on internal recirc?
Don't know and I don't like it.
Mine stays on. Sometimes on restart ti will be off. I have yet to figure out why it does sometimes and not others. But once on with the engine running, it stays on. That is while running the AC with or without max cool but on the coldest setting because Houston is a hot humid armpit most of the year. I have no clue what it does on heat or defrost.
I have to edit this post because now mine will shut off and I find it irritating.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
This happened to come across my Facebook feed this morning.

Overlooked Button on Your Car
There is a glaring error in the above article:
"...Now that summer is fast approaching, Ruhl said the air recirculation button is great for boosting your AC to help the cabin of you vehicle get as cold as possible, quickly. "Another function of this climate control system is to stop pollution and exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle."

When the HVAC system is in the. Recirculation or Max setting no outside air is allowed in as the article states, so that the air in the cabin is being cooled and re-cooled lowering the temperature more quickly, and also, mostly prevents undesirable odors entering from outside.

However

While in Recirc mode, condensation may form on the windows, which is why the Recirc may switch off or not come on at all. Over long periods of operating in Recirc, the air pressure in the cabin is less than the outside pressure, which can allow carbon monoxide to enter, potentially to a dangerous level. Not enough to kill you perhaps, but enough to make smaller children and persons with breathing problems suffer drowsiness or nausea. In fresh air mode, the cabin has positive pressure, and less chance of CO entering.

So as soon as you pass the cattle feedlots and beet sugar plants (I'm looking at you, Scottsbluff, NE) turn off the Recirculation.

Last edited:

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
There is a glaring error in the above article:
"...Now that summer is fast approaching, Ruhl said the air recirculation button is great for boosting your AC to help the cabin of you vehicle get as cold as possible, quickly. "Another function of this climate control system is to stop pollution and exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle."

When the HVAC system is in the. Recirculation or Max setting no outside air is allowed in as the article states, so that the air in the cabin is being cooled and re-cooled lowering the temperature more quickly, and also, mostly prevents undesirable odors entering from outside.

However

While in Recirc mode, condensation may form on the windows, which is why the Recirc may switch off or not come on at all. Over long periods of operating in Recirc, the air pressure in the cabin is less than the outside pressure, which can allow carbon monoxide to enter, potentially to a dangerous level. Not enough to kill you perhaps, but enough to make smaller children and persons with breathing problems suffer drowsiness or nausea. In fresh air mode, the cabin has positive pressure, and less chance of CO entering.

So as soon as you pass the cattle feedlots and beet sugar plants (I'm looking at you, Scottsbluff, NE) turn off the Recirculation.
Not sure what all is quoted from the article (without going back an re-reading it all again) from the coloring of your text ...
so is your take to leave it on or off? In which circumstances??
Sponsored