why does recirculation turn off automatically?

Deleted member 1634

Much better that when it shuts off you get to smell the exhaust fumes of whoever is in front of you! Poor design as far as I’m concerned. This is about my only beef with my ranger.
If only all vehicles had Auto Start/Stop systems that turned the vehicle off when stopped at lights. Then poof, no more exhaust fumes when sitting at lights.

*I'll just sit here and wait for how many anti start/stop people explode over this idea haha*
Sponsored

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
the design is to shut off for the stale air, or the air becoming too humid which will fog the windows . im sure creeping CO levels are also a concern if you only breathe in that environment for some time. hello nappy time while driving if you do it long enough. that lane keeping system comes in handy then too. jury is still out how the tailgate damper helps, but I am sure someone has linked the benefits.
Max AC needs the recirculated air to get colder than it normally would.
I don't know how CO would get in there.

How do you think it would get in there.

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
I don't know when it became common for sure, but I know that my '06, '08, and '13 Tacomas, '08 4Runner, '07 MDX, '12 Silverado all did this.

I think it's more or less a standard feature on all modern vehicles.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Frankly, I don't GAF what you think. You'd be surprised how measurable that actually is. With my education background, I got a bit more understanding into this than I really wanted, and at this point, I wish to avoid as much exposure to secondhand smoke as possible. My risk for future cancers is already highly elevated, and I don't want to be adding more exposures to the same shit that caused the first one.

Beyond the cancer risk scenario, I find tobacco smoke to be a more offensive aroma than skunks.

I also don't want my vehicle deciding this for me. When I'm sitting at a light for a few minutes and don't want to be smelling someone else's smoke, I don't want to deal with it. I can deal with a little bit of windshield fogging in that scenario. It's never been a problem with previous vehicles.

At least I now know that I can use the Max A/C setting to reliably deal with it.
What you said. I spent the first 50 years of my life inhaling other peoples' secondhand smoke and like any other addicts the majority of them couldn't have cared less who they killed. Cancer risks aside, carbon monoxide is a migraine trigger for me and many were the days that I came home from work with a debilitating headache fueled by people who either blew smoke in my face all day or let their cigarettes sit in their ashtrays until they burned down to the filter. Smoking is not a right, and nobody has been happier than me to see it curtailed of late everywhere I go.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What you said. I spent the first 50 years of my life inhaling other peoples' secondhand smoke and like any other addicts the majority of them couldn't have cared less who they killed. Cancer risks aside, carbon monoxide is a migraine trigger for me and many were the days that I came home from work with a debilitating headache fueled by people who either blew smoke in my face all day or let their cigarettes sit in their ashtrays until they burned down to the filter. Smoking is not a right, and nobody has been happier than me to see it curtailed of late everywhere I go.
HI Bill,

When I hired into Ford in 1973, smoking at your desk was acceptable. In fact when I got my first supplies....Stapler, Staple puller, line pad etc, I also got a Ford Ashtray for my desk. Did not smoke, so gave the ashtray away....wish I had it today...clear glass with the Ford logo around the sides of the glass...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HI Bill,

When I hired into Ford in 1973, smoking at your desk was acceptable. In fact when I got my first supplies....Stapler, Staple puller, line pad etc, I also got a Ford Ashtray for my desk. Did not smoke, so gave the ashtray away....wish I had it today...clear glass with the Ford logo around the sides of the glass...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I had the same experience in the aircraft biz. Shops would try to outdo each other with creative ashtrays made from airplane parts. The T-38, for example, has something called a banjo fitting that was regularly made into a standup ashtray. Weird!

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Even with the recirculation button on, some fresh air (I've read around 10%) is still entering the cabin. If it were not, it wouldn't take much time for the oxygen level to drop to a dangerously low level. Not much different than being stuck inside a large refrigerator. HEPA filters would be nice, and I thought I had found a compatible model a few months ago, but not available yet. Bosch makes them for many cars, even some Ford trucks, but not the Ranger.

Turborave

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Vehicle Showcase
i'd like it to stay on, and this is 1st vehicle ive had thats turned it back to fresh air on its own. its more about outside smells, than actual filtering of some particles. it almost got me in trouble near a chic fil a, it went back to fresh air and the kids were like oMG WE SMELL CHICFILA!!! hit that button for recirc and told them they were imagining it.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
" banjo fitting that was regularly made into a standup ashtray. Weird! "

i must have one of these. for a paperweight of course as i dont smoke.
It might stick up a bit as it was about 4 feet long!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I don't know how CO would get in there.

How do you think it would get in there.
Ask Ford?

"We do feel that it’s a design issue, not a defect … It’s simply a vent leading somewhere where it doesn’t need to be; and, you know, it’s just being set in a certain way that’s — that’s allowing it to draw it into the — into the vehicle,”

One of their spokespersons' response to allegations about carbon monoxide poisoning in Explorers.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
After reading this thread I can offer what I know. Cabin filters can be obtained that have active carbon in them for the best possible filtration offered. These are aftermarket HEPA and not Ford offered products.

I’m also a cancer survivor and also in medical so I’ll offer this. All plastics are derived from petroleum and out gas over their lifecycle. This is highly toxic to humans! We are surrounded by these materials today. You know that new car smell, especially in the hot sun! That’s out gassing and most get into their vehicles and take in a big lungful!!! Heating food in plastic containers in the microwave is no better. Cigarette smoke is really the least of your worries. So next time you walk up to your screaming hot truck, open the door and let it air out before you take that big sniff when you get it.

<gettin off my soapbox>

Last edited:

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
Just a thought, but has anyone tried using FORScan to remove that feature?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Just a thought, but has anyone tried using FORScan to remove that feature?
Can't do it. It must be part of the APIM module programming. It's not in the settings.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Put your mask for covid on before getting into your vehicle.

r2ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Probably the biggest annoyance of the ranger. Nothing beats driving around and suddenly getting hit with the stench of skunk, roadkill, or smoke. I probably hit the recirc button 3-5 times on my 30 minute commute to work everyday.
Sponsored