First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
The Ranger has been on the market for a while in Europe and Central/South America, available with a turbo diesel. Why not in the US? Why does the US never get the powerful and economical diesels? Last year in England I rented a BMW 5 series sport with a turbo diesel. It was a rocket ship that got almost 48mpg. Subaru sells a badass diesel Forester in other countries that has more torque and twice the mileage of the US version of the gas motor.
Did Chevy and Buick's sad attempt at diesels in the 80's or Ford's 6.0 leave that bad of taste in the US consumer's mouth?
Sponsored

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
Probably a couple reasons. One its a limited market in US. Plus making emissions and crash testing would not make it profitable to Ford. Diesel in Europe is taxed differently than gasoline and every station I have seen in Germany has diesel. Here its hit or miss. Plus now in US with the low sulpher requirements for diesel its more expensive than gas.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
And europe would be getting rid of small diesels also if they weren't so close to getting rid of ICEs in general to make it not worth the effort of switching from diesel to gas to electric. The emissions in general and particulates in particular are terrible, and turning out to be a really hard problem to solve without making small diesels economically non-viable.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It really is a good question as to why they don't do it in my thought is the fact that some big oil company is shoving a lot of money into forwards pocket to not release a diesel. At least not a diesel for the Ranger. Adding Australia they also have the 3-2 Diesel and now the 2.2 or perhaps the 2.0? Diesel and it's doing great. Yes I would prefer to have the diesel out here but Beggars can't be choosers. The best option I feel is just move out to Australia or Europe.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
The Ranger has been on the market for a while in Europe and Central/South America, available with a turbo diesel. Why not in the US? Why does the US never get the powerful and economical diesels? Last year in England I rented a BMW 5 series sport with a turbo diesel. It was a rocket ship that got almost 48mpg. Subaru sells a badass diesel Forester in other countries that has more torque and twice the mileage of the US version of the gas motor.
Did Chevy and Buick's sad attempt at diesels in the 80's or Ford's 6.0 leave that bad of taste in the US consumer's mouth?
It matters not at this point the US EPA is about to be weaponized and all combustion engines will be on the way out with no more exemptions for classic vehicles either, the hammer is coming down... well because 'they' know whats best for us....

OP
OP
winmag4582001

winmag4582001

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
It matters not at this point the US EPA is about to be weaponized and all combustion engines will be on the way out with no more exemptions for classic vehicles either, the hammer is coming down... well because 'they' know whats best for us....
LOL
If there's someone I trust to save the environment, it's definitely a bureaucrat on a private jet writing environmental policies.
Maybe if we just pay more in taxes the government can magically save the world.... Pay them first and then wait for the results.

OP
OP
winmag4582001

winmag4582001

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
It really is a good question as to why they don't do it in my thought is the fact that some big oil company is shoving a lot of money into forwards pocket to not release a diesel. At least not a diesel for the Ranger. Adding Australia they also have the 3-2 Diesel and now the 2.2 or perhaps the 2.0? Diesel and it's doing great. Yes I would prefer to have the diesel out here but Beggars can't be choosers. The best option I feel is just move out to Australia or Europe.
I can agree with that.
The US consumes more gas in vehicles than anywhere else in the world. If they sold an affordable, powerful and economical diesel option here, it could easily lower their annual profits because of less consumption.

Here in the Denver/Boulder metro area, the best and most economical transportation would be by motorcycle 9 months out of the year. It would create less pollution and congestion on the roads. Unfortunately the traffic laws, insurance companies and lack of any motorcycle parking anywhere, make it a non-option.
Buuuuuuut, you are more than welcome to ride the 11 billion dollar light rail to nowhere here in Denver. That was taxpayer money well spent. LOL

Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Yes. That and those jackasses that "roll coal".

Hell, it's dying in my industry, too. CNG, and even electric options, are supplanting the long-standing diesel platforms.

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Why not in the US? Why does the US never get the powerful and economical diesels?
Would there be sufficient demand in the US ??

My take away from the fullsize forums is that modern diesels are anathema in light truck, personal use applications. Due to initial upgrade expense, complexity, potential repair costs and, perhaps most importantly, the higher pump price for fuel. I've read for years that diesel is more expensive than gasoline - tho that hasn't be my reality in my travels for the last decade but never mind. And by all reports consumers on those boards are very sensitive to pump prices.

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
I live in Germany, diesel is cheaper than 93 gas. However it’s the emissions that curb US platforms.
I would gladly take a 2 liter diesel over my gas motor especially for longevity sake.
Now I could easily buy a Euro spec Ranger, but if I were to move back to the US I would have to depart from it. Oh and they start at about $50K for an XL equivalent. It’s called a Ranger WildTrak, and you can get a V6

Phik

First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
diesel is on its way out in europe.
I lived in germany for years, and the govt has turned dramatically.
My gasoline ranger is better anyway, decent torque and way better HP/PS

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IReally the only problem with hydrogen is that industry doesn't want to invest in it, so there's no support system or infrastructure for it.
Hydrogen storage is not a solved problem.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We store and use hydrogen all the time for other uses. The safety aspect of it being in a moving vehicle is not entirely solved yet, but that's because the industry hasn't invested in it. There have been and currently are hydrogen fuel cell vehicles out there that work well. But they aren't popular or widespread because there's no support infrastructure for them.
We store relatively small quantities with a lot of leakage in very heavy and bulky containers, sometimes with very energy intensive cryogenics. We don't have continental scale hydrogen pipelines and don't really know how to do that. So yeah, it has a lot of theoretical advantages, but it isn't practical right now to try to even develop a large scale infrastructure. The most promising approaches seem to be embedding the hydrogen in a carbon or nitrogen framework so you have a high density liquid to handle rather than a gas (basically synthetic petroleum or ammonia) but at that point you need a completely different infrastructure as well as different consumers (you aren't burning pure hydrogen anymore). It makes total sense to wait for technology to develop a bit more before spending trillions of dollars on potentially the wrong infrastructure.
Sponsored