Who else turns off Blind Spot Monitoring?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I disabled cross traffic because it screams at things that are not cross traffic. I don't back out of my driveway onto a busy street. I live in the country. The only cross traffic behind me would be me.

I LIKE that the cross traffic screams, I just wish it would only do it at people that are actually crossing behind me. I've had it do it backing out of a parking spot, downtown, but I was already looking for, and had that traffic in sight.
Yeah, it can be a real back seat driver at times but I think I’m getting used to it...slowly, very slowly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DT444T

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
I still have trust issues with the array of sensors we have. I just cannot 100% trust them when backing in or even pulling forward. Its like Im talking in code, Are you sure??? are you sure your sure??? are you false reading, bc this looks really close.
My wife will park using just the camera, me I pre scan the area then use the camera to see if anything is back there and use the mirrors to line up. Habits I guess
I like to use the camera to get as CLOSE to things as possible. My gf hates when the parking sensors go solid tone (missile lock :p ) and then I keep backing up while looking at the camera.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I like to use the camera to get as CLOSE to things as possible. My gf hates when the parking sensors go solid tone (missile lock :p ) and then I keep backing up while looking at the camera.
We are opposite ? I see orange and thats good for me, I know the hatch will still clear. However parking in my garage I play with a little red when pulling in. ?

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
Our Outback has it also and saved my behind once...I like it! My side vision keeps me aware in case some idiot going super fast decides at the last minute to change lanes behind me. Its called awareness!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I leave it on, but I have seen better implementations. My girlfriend test drove a Honda a while back that had actual cameras mounted in the side mirror housings. When you hit the blinker the camera would come on so you could actually see the blind spot area. Neat idea, but they should have put the viewscreen in the dash instead of the center/radio screen...

I don't mind any tech that helps me out...
Agreed. Test drove a 3 dr Civic Si a few years back when I got my FiST. I like the idea of it. But dislike the screen location as well. On the dash right by the mirror on a dedicated screen would be better. Their solution now asks you to look 2 different places that isn't the road. Also, I dislike that it's only on passenger side.

My wife's CX-5 has the best setup I've seen. Very much like Ford's with the addition of a warning tone when you activate your turn signal to the side that indicates a vehicle present.

Last edited:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like it is honestly a useless system. My mirrors are aimed the "correct" way so I cannot see the side of my truck in them. So I don't actually have a "blind spot." I don't have little convex stick-on mirrors. Just the factory mirrors.

I can't stand how Ford has implemented the BLIS. I have driven other cars that, when you turn on your signal and there is a vehicle in the "blind spot" you would get an audible chime and an alert in your gauge cluster. Similar to how the cross traffic alert SCREAMS at you when someone is driving across the parking lot from where you are (also disabled for being too sensitive).

Instead, a little light comes on in the mirror. That's it.

If you are looking at the mirror to see the little light why not just look for traffic in your blind spots? It's just useless, IMO, and I find it disappointing that Ford made such a poor, useless system.
That "little light" has prevented me from turning in front of oncoming traffic numerous times. As you say, it would be even more helpful, that is, safer for all concerned, if a beeper would sound and/or light would flash on the gauge cluster. So, sure, I leave it on because it is better than nothing, and too sensitive is safer than not sensitive enough.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Later on in our trucks lifecycle when stuff starts breaking or dying BLISS one day decides it’s going to die too. But it didn’t tell you it did. That’s when you wipe the guy that’s minding his own business right off the road.

Sometimes we become dependent on a good thing. Only to find out later on that that extra look is worth it.

Don’t be that one!

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Fun fact (though now I can't find a source for it, so perhaps take it with a grain of salt) - you're more likely to end up in an accident if you do the head swivel than if you just used your mirror but kept your head facing forward. The rationale that explained the data was two fold. 1) If there's someone you would be merging into, they are likely to avoid the collision, and 2) If travel suddenly stops in front of you and you're not paying attention, you have no recourse.

I personally would have preferred to get my truck without BLIS because I prefer the spotter mirror. And I added a spotter mirror to the lower outside of my mirrors. However, having both now, I have found the shortcomings of each, and adapt. Spotter mirrors actually aren't the best at night, or if the mirrors are quite dirty. But BLIS isn't great at red lights when you want to quickly merge over. Neither system is foolproof, which is why I have a noggin between my ears. But the one thing I don't do, is swivel the head.

brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I like the backup camera, but I really don't rely on the safety "tech" on my truck. Lane keep monitoring feels like an out of balance tire, collision avoidance goes off at random, blind spot monitoring I really don't notice, I still turn and look like I was taught decades ago when I was learning to drive. This may be great stuff for some, but to me, a lot of this stuff is nothing but distracting and can take the drivers focus and mind off the road.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I use pretty much all of the assistance stuff.

The lane keeping, I'm kinda meh on. Works reasonably well on the freeway, but twisty country roads less so. Also, paint splatters throw it off, and that's irritating.

BLIS, cross-traffic, and pre-collision I like. I especially like that BLIS adjusts to account for my trailer. Sure, cross-traffic and pre-collision warnings are a bit on the sensitive side, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. the cross-traffic warning makes me ramp up my attention to see what set it off. the most sensitive the pre-collision has been has just preempted my own action (I've already decided I'm taking action, but the warning goes off before I have actually slowed down), which is fine.

Sure, the BLIS notifications could be a little more obvious. I could stand for a tone if there's someone there when I signal for a lane change. but I often turn on my signal while someone is there, with the intent that I'll merge after they've passed me. but this is the first vehicle I've owned with any sort of electronic safety/warning features and I appreciate them.

gttafoya

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Electronics Technician
Mirrors adjusted the correct way (same as OP) so I don't really need the BS monitor(pun Intended). I do have all the sensors on and set to max sensitivity. I figure since i paid for them, might as well use them. I still don't trust them at all and probably never will.

Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it!

Plus, I don't want to get upset when I get my next new car and all these sensors and the A/S/S can't be turned off (For your safety).

The most annoying one is the Keep your hands on the steering wheel alert. MY HANDS ARE ON THE WHEEL!!!! Why is Ford having me swerve down my lane? A lot of my driving is down long strait roads and get the warning which seems like every minute of a 30 minute drive. I would rather have a longer interval than turning it off. Forscan Fix???

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have never gotten the "Hands on Wheel" prompt.... I have gotten the cup of coffee warning. Usually it's when some dumbass is going 63 miles an hour in the left lane an everyone is moving side to side in the lane to figure out who the D!c( head is.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
mine goes off, but only on long drives, and only rarely
my understanding is that it monitors numerous factors.
some of which have been proven indicators of a person falling asleep at the wheel. you said it yourself, be better having it and not needing it, then needing it and not having it.
i hear if you open the door it resets.

Driver Alert System
The Driver Alert System is designed to help alert drowsy drivers by monitoring the vehicle's movement compared to lane markings that are tracked by a camera mounted on the windshield. If the system detects a driving pattern consistent with a drowsy driver, a first-level chime will sound and a coffee cup warning will appear on the dashboard instrument cluster to recommend the driver take a break.

If the driver does not respond to this alert and the system continues to sense the driver is fatigued, another warning and chime will be issued. Drivers can monitor their condition on the dashboard at any time, even without receiving warnings. If they approach the yellow warning range, they should rest as soon as possible.

All information is reset as soon as the driver stops and either opens the door or turns off the engine. More than 40 percent of Americans say they have fallen asleep or nodded off while driving, according to a survey conducted by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.
Just did an 1850 mile trip and tried like hell to see if the system works and couldn't get a warning. Guess I should have taken a longer nap in the driver seat.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Just did an 1850 mile trip and tried like hell to see if the system works and couldn't get a warning. Guess I should have taken a longer nap in the driver seat.
My understanding is that the driver alertness actually benchmarks your driving in the first 5 minutes, then compares how many corrections you make to stay in your lane back to the baseline. But that's different from the 'key hands on wheel' alert... That pops up when the truck doesn't sense any driver's input and is a gov't regulation because the lane keeping assist (plus adaptive cruise) is not supposed to drive your truck - so Ford is required to yell at you if it doesn't sense you driving your truck. Unfortunately, on long straightaways, a well aligned truck doesn't need steering inputs. Does it still yell at you if LKA is turned off though?
Sponsored