What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
Filter question for you oil maniacs. What's the best filter? Isn't there a larger size that's available?

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
Motorcraft by Ford make very good filters.
I personally run one with just a touch more oil capacity than the original one.
Motorcraft FL-400-S (WIX equivalent, I beleive, is: 1516)

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Lol. You’re entitled to your opinion?
Years back would spend some time on a Saab site which of course had the oil thread(s) , an amsoil sales guy (Dick, from Falls Church, VA) was incessant with his promotion of amsoil - until the Saabists began to ignore his posts or maybe it was because the number of Saab owners declined to the point it wasn't worth his time. Now I still have my 2004 but it's never seen a drop of amsoil, nor have any autos I've ever owned. But good to see you plug your product, it has a good many enthusiasts.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Been using amsoil products forever and won’t mess with a good thing. In life you pay what you get for. It’s high end oil. For the few extra dollars I’ll pay up. There’s other high end oils as well. I imagine they’re great as well. In Life I don’t eat cheap food, don’t drink cheap sugary drinks, and don’t use low grade gasoline. You feed your body and you engines/car well they should last longer. Seems like common sense if you’re looking to preserve and prolong such things.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Been using amsoil products forever and won’t mess with a good thing. In life you pay what you get for. It’s high end oil. For the few extra dollars I’ll pay up. There’s other high end oils as well. I imagine they’re great as well. In Life I don’t eat cheap food, don’t drink cheap sugary drinks, and don’t use low grade gasoline. You feed your body and you engines/car well they should last longer. Seems like common sense if you’re looking to preserve and prolong such things.
100%

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
Motorcraft by Ford make very good filters.
I personally run one with just a touch more oil capacity than the original one.
Motorcraft FL-400-S (WIX equivalent, I beleive, is: 1516)
Thanks. Just ordered some.

RangerRay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My personal opinion? Use a high quality oil, use a high quality filter and change it often.

Amsoil, Castrol, Mobil, etc, they all make good products. Wix, Motorcraft, K&N etc, they all make good filters.

Whichever one speaks to you, go for it! Just don't be cheap

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I asked this question:
Is there any recent independent 3rd party test data available that shows Amsoil in comparison to Mobil 1 Annual Protection?
The Amsoil salesman says:
Yes, lots on line as well as I have had quite a few BMW and Porsche owners switch from Mobil 1 to Amsoil due to lack of protection. Seizing bearings etc.
Then Rp930 says:
And the carnage was caused by Mobil 1? Sorry, just not believing that one. Not saying Amsoil is a bad product but neither is Mobil 1.
Then the Amsoil salesman says:
I’m thinking the owner of the cars wasn’t using the right oil for the application. Apparently the cars needed a higher ppm of zinc for those specific motors. The motors didn’t go quickly. It was the lack of protection over time. The scaring he showed was quite severe.
Unbelievable. You throw Mobil 1 under the bus... then admit the carnage was caused by using the wrong oil.

That's why I won't use Amsoil.... due to the dishonesty / misleading comments their sales people spew.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I ran Mobil1 in my 97 Ranger with great results but have decided to use Pennzoil Platinum in my 2019 Ranger based on YouTube’s Project Farm’s oil testing videos.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
I asked this question:

The Amsoil salesman says:

Then Rp930 says:

Then the Amsoil salesman says:

Unbelievable. You throw Mobil 1 under the bus... then admit the carnage was caused by using the wrong oil.

That's why I won't use Amsoil.... due to the dishonesty / misleading comments their sales people spew.
Lol. It was the lack of zinc in the oil (Mobil 1) that was used for that application. The viscosity was correct just not enough zinc that Mobil had to offer, therefore wrong application.

Your Friendly Amsoil “ Salesman”
Have a nice day Inspector Clueso.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Lol. It was the lack of zinc in the oil (Mobil 1) that was used for that application. The viscosity was correct just not enough zinc that Mobil had to offer, therefore wrong application.

Your Friendly Amsoil “ Salesman”
Have a nice day Inspector Clueso.
It doesn't take much detective work. You're not very good at lying / telling mistruths.

Last edited:

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
It doesn't take much detective work. You're not very good at lying.
It doesn't take much detective work. You're not very good at lying / telling mistruths.
You are correct, I am a terrible liar. That’s why telling the truth is always a good thing. Which has been done in this case.
Happy Tuesday and have a great rest of the evening.?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I agree. The first post from “Amsoil” was very misleading.
Sponsored