What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I’m planning to use Mobil 1 Annual fully synthetic oil with a Wix XP or NAPA XP oil filter. Any thoughts?
With the Motorcraft filters being both affordable (<$4) and dealer-friendly, I just went with those. Your oil choice will meet Ford's spec.
Sponsored

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Hi CO2,

Nothing of note. Not too many miles since the oil change due to Covid 19 restrictions. Truck is running fine!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I am going to try the Kirkland out as the price is right and its supposed to be a remake of what Chevron Supreme was. Which was a great oil at a great price, I was sad when it disappeared from the shelves.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Since my salesman gave me maintenance for life I will be running whatever the dealer puts in it. First oil change was 8000 and one year when the light came on. My first car was a 49 Plymouth which used non detergent oil changed every 1000 miles. I was changing it every week till I said screw this and stretched it out alot more. My farmer buddy never changed oil in his truck, just drove till it quit. He never washed it either. I doubt if all this money and gnashing of gums about oil will change your maintenance costs cause the junk hanging on that eng will cost you the most to repair. ?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Since my salesman gave me maintenance for life I will be running whatever the dealer puts in it. First oil change was 8000 and one year when the light came on. My first car was a 49 Plymouth which used non detergent oil changed every 1000 miles. I was changing it every week till I said screw this and stretched it out alot more. My farmer buddy never changed oil in his truck, just drove till it quit. He never washed it either. I doubt if all this money and gnashing of gums about oil will change your maintenance costs cause the junk hanging on that eng will cost you the most to repair. ?
Is your farmer buddy a Native American? I worked with a guy who had friends that were Native Americans. They never changed the oil in their vehicles. Why? Because the vehicle is a living thing and it would be like draining it's life blood from it.

Opinions vary... but actual wear and contamination of a mechanical device happens.... it's a physics thing.... science related.

For most logical beings following what's worked well for them in the past in order to have a logical outcome makes sense.. And that is, at a minimum, following the specifications of the folks that built the vehicle.

God bless America. Land of the free... home of the brave.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
No native american just wierd. I have also heard of guys just changing the filter stating that oil never wears out. ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Never changed the oil, engine is still as clean as the day i got her
Wq1UL1wXVl19MW2oBlJrpoDOgP2X7Qc-nZ464yzM_SU.jpg
Hi Ian,

Reminds me of having to change head gaskets on my buddy's 351M Crown Vic he picked up used for his wife. Wife holed the radiator, got stopped by a train and then into the garage with both head gaskets blown Removed the valve covers and could not believe it. I could not find the valve springs below the rockers there was so much crud packed in the cylinder heads. Took almost a day to just clean the heads up enough to remove. Told him to sell the car....he done got took on that lemon!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Hi Ian,

Reminds me of having to change head gaskets on my buddy's 351M Crown Vic he picked up used for his wife. Wife holed the radiator, got stopped by a train and then into the garage with both head gaskets blown Removed the valve covers and could not believe it. I could not find the valve springs below the rockers there was so much crud packed in the cylinder heads. Took almost a day to just clean the heads up enough to remove. Told him to sell the car....he done got took on that lemon!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yikes! The previous owner must have saved a lot of money by never changing the oil.. lol

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
While stationed in the Panama Canal and attending a base function one of my lieutenants and an unknown, to me, lieutenant approached me. Knowing I was a stickler for maintenance on my 1989 Bronco II he thought I'd get a kick out of his buddies maintenance habits on his 1989 Ranger. He asked his buddy to tell him again how often he changed his oil. He said he never has. He just adds oil when it needs it. This was in 1997. I advised him not to change his habits.:clap:
For me, I'll stick with Wix/Napa Gold filters and an oil that exceeds recommendations. That's just me.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
The Ford dealership does the oil changes as a sort of loss leader and my price of a Ford full synthetic and Ford filter is nearly $60 less than the Mobil place down the street for the same.

Since the dealer does a complimentary one for free at the first 5,000 miles, I paid the difference and got the full syn. I may keep going back, worth it not to mess with myself anymore.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
AMSOIL 5W30 Signature Series for me. Switching after I get my free oil change.
Did such,
I'd recommend switching out the front/rear axle oil with Amsoil gear oil at some point too. The axles break in made the fluids look terrible and full of metal. Easier than changing oil and worth it for the long run

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Just did my first oil and filter change yesterday at 2500 miles. After researching the newer European oil specs plus the ratings that these GDI engines require, I had decided that I was going to use Mobil 1 Annual Protection. However, I could not find it in stock from the usual lower priced sources when I decided to purchase it.

I then discovered that if I joined the Amsoil program, I could get their Signature Series oil for the same price as Mobil 1 Annual Protection if I bought it by the case - so I did that. So now my Ranger has Amsoil and the FL910S filter.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Did such,
I'd recommend switching out the front/rear axle oil with Amsoil gear oil at some point too. The axles break in made the fluids look terrible and full of metal. Easier than changing oil and worth it for the long run
Absolutely. It will be all Amsoil by the end
Sponsored