What are your thoughts on normal wear and tear / environmental paint damage?

Do you also obsess over small imperfections caused by Environmental damage to your truck?

• Total voters

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Just curious what people's philosophies are with regard to normal wear and tear on their trucks. Given that this is the first new vehicle I own, I think I might be a little bit obsessed with every little scratch or scuff that gets on the paint. It also doesn't help that my truck is blue, so those are pretty damn easy to see. It's gotten to the point where I avoided driving the truck to avoid dealing with things like small debris on the freeway chipping away at my paint. What does everyone else think?
Sponsored

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
Any vehicle gets minor cosmetic damage. I tend to notice every little detail on my paint jobs, but I don't stress over them. Eventually, I'll have to make a choice between stay on the trail or take a branch all the way down the side of my truck. If it gouges to bare metal, I'll be ticked. Otherwise just keep on trucking and take care of it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The first chip/dent hurts the most. Each one after that gets a little easier to deal with. But, it is a truck and if you are going to use it like a truck it is going to get scratched and dinged. Some people would call them badges of honor - it shows it works and isn't just a pavement princess.

Speaking of which - this happened last night:
20190802_183215.jpg

The worst part is that I did it myself! I parked my Capri next to my truck (and parked a bit too close) and opened the door - I didn't even hit it hard, but it put a pretty noticeable dent. Other than a paintless dent guy (which I don't really want to do), does anyone have any ideas for a cheap fix to at least make it look less noticeable?

The metal on these doors is pretty thin. I have another ding from somewhere but it is much less noticeable than this one.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
The first chip/dent hurts the most. Each one after that gets a little easier to deal with. But, it is a truck and if you are going to use it like a truck it is going to get scratched and dinged. Some people would call them badges of honor - it shows it works and isn't just a pavement princess.

Speaking of which - this happened last night:
20190802_183215.jpg

The worst part is that I did it myself! I parked my Capri next to my truck (and parked a bit too close) and opened the door - I didn't even hit it hard, but it put a pretty noticeable dent. Other than a paintless dent guy (which I don't really want to do), does anyone have any ideas for a cheap fix to at least make it look less noticeable?

The metal on these doors is pretty thin. I have another ding from somewhere but it is much less noticeable than this one.
I just had paint less dent guy fix a similar dent on my RR extra cab door. $50 and its 99% gone. Bret

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just had paint less dent guy fix a similar dent on my RR extra cab door. $50 and its 99% gone. Bret
Did they come out or did you take it in? $50 isn't too bad if I could find someone to do it for that locally. Given how noticeable this one is, I'd bat $50 to make it less noticeable.

I was surprised how easily it dented. I barely hit the truck with my door. The thickness of the steel on a 1973 door vs a 2019 door is quite significant. :) The 73 door won that battle.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
If you do any kind of truck stuff in these new Rangers just prepare for dings and dents. All of the metal is super thin and takes a dent way too easy. I’m at 9600 miles, and use my truck constantly for hauling my tools/equipment around, along with a few trips into the woods. I’ve probably got over a dozen dents between the doors, bed sides and bed at this point. So don’t let it keep you up at night, it’s gonna happen

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Did they come out or did you take it in? $50 isn't too bad if I could find someone to do it for that locally. Given how noticeable this one is, I'd bat $50 to make it less noticeable.

I was surprised how easily it dented. I barely hit the truck with my door. The thickness of the steel on a 1973 door vs a 2019 door is quite significant. :) The 73 door won that battle.
Guy came to my house. Fixed in 10 minutes. Guy said it was easy to fix as metal is thin. Im happy for $50 bucks. My dealer recommended this guy, and since he came to my house there was no dealer up charge. Bret

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious what people's philosophies are with regard to normal wear and tear on their trucks. Given that this is the first new vehicle I own, I think I might be a little bit obsessed with every little scratch or scuff that gets on the paint. It also doesn't help that my truck is blue, so those are pretty damn easy to see. It's gotten to the point where I avoided driving the truck to avoid dealing with things like small debris on the freeway chipping away at my paint. What does everyone else think?
I am "It's a truck" camp. I find myself far far less OCD when I have a truck. Don't feel the need to wash and wax after every trip in the rain. Bottomline you can keep the truck brand new for three years or so and fret over every possible issue OR you can drive it and not worry about keeping it "new". A professional detailer would get the truck in Trade in or sell mode relatively inexpensively.

I for one don't care to detail my trucks as I would with my other vehicles. Once every year or two I will have it detailed by my Tint guy. I would have liked some other colors such as Pepper Red, but I bought white because it doesn't show it needs a wash as much as the darker colors.

Drive your truck and enjoy it. Have it detailed, Have dents removed,. They will make the truck new again. Trade-in prices are the same for a dirty or clean truck.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
Any damage pi$$es me off..but my experience shows that all my CARS suffered a lot more road rash, nicks, and chips (paint and windshields) :curse:...than did my TRUCKS (Wrangler, Tundra, and Mazda B4000). I think being higher off the ground definitely reduces damage.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Guy came to my house. Fixed in 10 minutes. Guy said it was easy to fix as metal is thin. Im happy for $50 bucks. My dealer recommended this guy, and since he came to my house there was no dealer up charge. Bret
I got the quote - it is a hard place to fix so he quoted $400 since he had to remove trim on the inside to get to it. I'm going to live with it. It isn't worth $400 to me to fix it. I'm sure there will be more.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
I got the quote - it is a hard place to fix so he quoted $400 since he had to remove trim on the inside to get to it. I'm going to live with it. It isn't worth $400 to me to fix it. I'm sure there will be more.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Mine was in tough spot too.Taking off door panel didnt help,he had to drill 5/16 hole in bottom of door and popped rubber plug in hole when finished

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was in tough spot too.Taking off door panel didnt help,he had to drill 5/16 hole in bottom of door and popped rubber plug in hole when finished
He said that was an option but he didn't like to do that. I'm OK with leaving it. Like I said, given how easy that dented, I'm in for more - I do use my truck like a truck and do take it offroad some. It will get beat up to a degree, so this is the first one that hurt the most.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Its a truck. Will not stay perfect forever.

My thoughts are why buy it you your not gonna drive it or use it as a truck?

Shoulda bought used and save the $$$ if your not gonna use it.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
Personally I understand that damage will happen through use. I have a harder time accepting when other people slam objects and their own doors into something I've saved for so long for and enjoy so much. I'm currently going through the process of getting my bed cover replaced and I'm fortunate to have the drop in bed liner that covers my tailgate or else the cover rail would have gouged the tail gate itself. No amount of adjustment keeps it from drooping down as the cover is closed and of course the dealer parts person I'm dealing with blamed it on the body style being new...I had to remind him it's been a round for a while...

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Nothing lasts forever.
Cars are a tool.
If you use them they wear.
If you do not drive them they rot away.
House's are the same.
Everything wants to revert back to what it was.
Steel wants to be iron oxide.
Glass wants to be sand.
Live your life, help others, believe in God.
Sponsored

Last edited: