Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The only excessive bouncing I see is when the waves in the road (usually on concrete as opposed to asphalt) match the distance between the axles of the truck and trailer. So it creates a sort of natural frequency affect, which is not dangerous with the size of my trailer but can be quite annoying and hard to get out of.
Hi Matt,

We call the condition you describe as California Freeway Hop. It is the slight potatochiping of individual slabs of concrete being the excitation source. At certain speeds with certain wheelbases you get this vehicle head bobbing. Modern pavement milling techniques have minimized this in the USA, but not all roads. You are also correct that it is hard to stop once the excitation starts unless you can slow way down or speed way up which many times traffic will not permit.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The only excessive bouncing I see is when the waves in the road (usually on concrete as opposed to asphalt) match the distance between the axles of the truck and trailer. So it creates a sort of natural frequency affect, which is not dangerous with the size of my trailer but can be quite annoying and hard to get out of.
I agree, I pull an Forest River R Pod with my Ranger with a WDH and mostly see it on concrete paved highways. Sometimes a speed change helps sometimes not. Some roads can be really annoying if you can't avoid traveling them.

Need to get my RV out of storage then I'll post pictures. All I have is pictures with my 2012 ranger XLT, which was a bit marginal pulling it with the SOHC V6. Weighs about 3500#, new Ranger hardly knows it's there.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Gang, I installed some Timbren active bump stops this week and did my first tow today.... Worth every penny, truck doesn't sag near as much, wind induced sway is nearly eliminated and all in all, the truck pulls so much better! Highly recommend to any Ranger owners who tow!

20200530_133948.jpg
Where did you get this Timbren active bump stops? Would you please send me a link? Did you install yourself or hire someone else?

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We just bought a No Boundaries travel trailer and our 2019 Lariat towed it like a pro. There was some grunting on the steepest part of our drive over the pass but we didn't loose speed. The Nobo is 25ft long and weighs 4100# dry. We used an E2 weight distribution hitch and a prodigy wireless brake controller. We kept the speed between 55-60mph and averaged 11.8mpg.

20200605_145304.jpg
We used to own No Bo 10.6 trailer and love it. Love your trailer, especially two axles!

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We just bought her and our family of 3 is going full time RV life!
2020 Grand Design Transcend 247BH
29'11" in length
5,463 lbs Dry Weight
546 lbs tongue weight
Eaz-Lift Trekker weight distribution hitch
Drove back from Sanford, Fl. to Gilbert, Az. No issues except when a storm with high cross winds started. Very pleased.
IMG_20200612_082016.jpg
Beautiful truck and trailer! Enjoy your traveling! Keep us posted on your journey!

zachattack54

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Where did you get this Timbren active bump stops? Would you please send me a link? Did you install yourself or hire someone else?
Just search Timbren bump stops on e-trailer.com. they replace the factory bump stops and are super easy to install. E trailer has videos and install instructions. Worth every penny. Truck tows like a champ now!! Just did a 450km tow truck with them, and it's an unbelievable difference.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Just search Timbren bump stops on e-trailer.com. they replace the factory bump stops and are super easy to install. E trailer has videos and install instructions. Worth every penny. Truck tows like a champ now!! Just did a 450km tow truck with them, and it's an unbelievable difference.
I'm not following how these make such a big difference while towing. Maybe I don't understand how bump stops work? I thought they provide a stop when the leaf springs reach their maximum point of compression.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! Will view the video and the website.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'm not following how these make such a big difference while towing. Maybe I don't understand how bump stops work? I thought they provide a stop when the leaf springs reach their maximum point of compression.
On the ranger, the bump stops are part of the suspension system, so these are just better ones is my guess.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
First tow of the Hiker Trailer this past week just shy of 400mi to SC.

50020510593_dd401bfd10_c.jpg
0615201313 by Nate, on Flickr

Ranger handled it awesome. Spent most of my time in the 60-65mph range with a couple pretty steep grades thrown in. Averaged around 20mpg for the trip, which included some ugly stop and go traffic in a construction zone on I-26. Loaded weight for the trailer is around 1400lbs without the canoe.

Carrying the canoe on the trailer for now, since I don't have a bed rack on the Ranger yet.

I guess I could afford a little more drop on my ball mount, too, for that matter.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not my first tow but just got it out of storage today. Finally getting it ready for summer.

Camper one.jpg

My 2012 was a bit marginal pulling it. The reason I got the new Ranger! The new one hardly knows it's there. Using a Husky Centerline WDH and Redarc TBC, it pulls solid as a rock. A little bouncy on some concrete pavement, but what one isn't?

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not my first tow but just got it out of storage today. Finally getting it ready for summer.

Camper one.jpg

My 2012 was a bit marginal pulling it. The reason I got the new Ranger! The new one hardly knows it's there. Using a Husky Centerline WDH and Redarc TBC, it pulls solid as a rock. A little bouncy on some concrete pavement, but what one isn't?
Your blue truck is so beautiful! Your R-Pod trailer is even more cool!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Your blue truck is so beautiful! Your R-Pod trailer is even more cool!
Thanks, love them both! The R-Pod is perfect for the two of us and our three ferrets. We got the one with twin beds so we don't need to climb over each other for those midnight runs. ? Much nicer than our old pop up. Like I said at 3500# "Big Blue" hardly knows it there. Time to social distance in the great outdoors.
Sponsored