Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I can get about 50 small squares on this trailer, which should be roughly 2500 lbs plus whatever the trailer weighs. Pulls it like nothing’s back there. It’s super muddy here today after getting about 3” of rain over the last day or two. Just about didn’t make it through.

3E79CBE9-7AD6-4EFA-9C41-DAFA4FE63408.jpeg
Sponsored

Flapilot

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
1985 aqua sport 222 I restored last year.

I need to turn my hitch ball around as my last truck sat much lower. Otherwise it towed great for the short distance I pulled it. Haven’t put it in and out of the water with this truck yet but based on how it pulled I’m confident it won’t be an issue and should be better than the Nissan Frontier(6cy) I was using.

Approx weight 3500-4000.

Is it weird I almost bought a different color truck because I knew the truck and boat color combo would clash?

F9DDC831-28DD-4560-BE7F-A4695F7E4CBE.jpeg

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Is it weird I almost bought a different color truck because I knew the truck and boat color combo would clash?
I don't think it is weird at all. The color I selected on my 2020 Ranger order was influenced by my boat color.

Deleted member 1634

1985 aqua sport 222 I restored last year.

I need to turn my hitch ball around as my last truck sat much lower. Otherwise it towed great for the short distance I pulled it. Haven’t put it in and out of the water with this truck yet but based on how it pulled I’m confident it won’t be an issue and should be better than the Nissan Frontier(6cy) I was using.

Approx weight 3500-4000.

F9DDC831-28DD-4560-BE7F-A4695F7E4CBE.jpeg
We bought a camper about a month before we got the truck. And since we weren't planning on getting the truck at that point, we didn't even think about the colors of each. They're both orange, but just slightly different shades of orange. To the point where it annoys my wife everytime she looks at them hooked up together. I personally don't care, certainly not enough to pay any money to change either of them. haha

IMG_20190816_092151026_HDR.jpg

salmonfisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 crew cab
Just used the new rig to tow with... for the first time... just beyond 1,000 miles on odom... annual service needed on boat as we have a full season of fishing planned. What is it? 20 foot Raider with full offshore bracket, 150 Yamaha and T8 kicker, EZ Loader trailer. When loaded for a fishing trip the boat/trailer weigh just under 4500 lbs... weighing almost the same as the Ranger.

sideviewRANGERwithRAIDER-2_LI.jpg

Last edited:

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
2019 Ranger XLT towing a 28' Forest River Salem Cruise Lite using a Hensley Sway Control WDH
Ranger towing.JPG

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Towing our Little Guy Silver Shadow with a 6" drop hitch.
Hardly knew it was back there, hard to see in side mirrors because of its size.
Previous tow vehicles were MINI Cooper S models.
We're shopping for something bigger now.

20200318_071759.jpg

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Towed ~6500lbs in my 20' enclosed trailer today (maybe it was a bit more). I learned some things!

Pros:
*Plenty of power. Even with a large frontal area on the trailer it cruised at 65mph without much input. I was more surprised than I thought I would be.

*Blind spot monitoring for the trailer and the back camera were all great.

*The Sway detection and deterrent feature works great. I used it today involuntarily.

*The dash told me I had a tail light out on the trailer - I like that feature.

Cons:
*These FX shocks will soon find the bottom of a dumpster. Their complete lack of rebound damping really shows up when towing a heavy load.

*The narrow track and lightweight of the truck means: the truck and trailer want to ride in different grooves in the lane which can induce at best, wandering, at worst, sway.

*I wish this truck had factory mirrors that extended for towing. The extend blind spot monitoring helps to fill the gap on lane changes.

Misc:
*On a race weekend I will be adding ~700-800lbs more to the equation and I feel confident in using this as a tow vehicle at max capacity for a reasonable distance at a reasonable speed. I would not want to tow at max on a trip that's >5 hours away - no cross country.

*Ford did a great job with their tow-haul feature and the transmission was lovely.

*Sensitive to tongue weight. On my way to my appt I had the weight too far back in the trailer. Due to the lack of tongue weight I could not physically exceed 60mph as the sway got out of hand FAST - and that's with an Equalizer hitch. My destination wasn't far away so toughed it out by slowing down a bit. On the return trip I moved the car and some other weight forward in the trailer and drove home at 65 mph with one relaxed hand on the steering wheel.

C1CCE63E-93AA-4BC5-B0B5-46B592185700.jpeg

ztbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT w/ FX4, tow package, spary-in bed liner.
LOVE this thread. I was about to buy a Ranger and tow a 8x17 trailer with it but was being told I was a fool for even considering such a thing, this whole thread gives me a lot more confidence I'll be just fine.
The weights matter a LOT more than the dimensions at that size.

Bud

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL supper cab 2019 Volt 99 XK8 Jaguar
Occupation
Sailor
The only time size would matter is in high wind.
Sponsored