First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
Federal
Update #3!!! Just dropped off the truck for a big development!! Ford Tech ran it up the chain and put in an emergency acquisition of a new transmission!

Their feeling is the current tranny is not safe...which may bolster my thought the bad pinion angle damaged the gears. I dont know if Iā€™m getting another 2019 tranny or a 2020, but it should be programmed with the new shift programming. That was one thing the Ford systems would not allow, which was to reprogram the shifting and temperature sensing, like the 2020s. This was apparently not allowed by the Ford software system. So Iā€™m thinking this, along with the replaced and properly angled driveshaft should smooth it out and make my new truck fun again!

So, fingers crossed, Iā€˜ll have more info when i get it back.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I agree with you.
The shudder most people are experiencing is around 10-15 mph including myself. I never use the auto start/stop function. It is the first thing I disable after starting the truck.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Yes I feel it around 5-15mph. Almost feels like wheel hop. I have zero faith in it getting resolved at the dealership so Iā€™ve just resided to the fact that it will be there and I drive it.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Yes. The best advice is test drive, if you notice it try another. Some have it, some don't.
Is this still an issue for ā€˜21 models? Because I can feel a definite shudder when taking off like the tranny doesnā€™t know exactly what to do. I just figured the trans might still be programming as the car only has 200 miles.

All I really want to know is this indicative of a problem down the road? If so, should I take it to the dealership to be looked at? I want to start modding the truck soon but Iā€™m waiting to make sure everything is sound with the truck first.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Is this still an issue for ā€˜21 models? Because I can feel a definite shudder when taking off like the tranny doesnā€™t know exactly what to do. I just figured the trans might still be programming as the car only has 200 miles.

All I really want to know is this indicative of a problem down the road? If so, should I take it to the dealership to be looked at? I want to start modding the truck soon but Iā€™m waiting to make sure everything is sound with the truck first.
My advice to you is read this thread https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...vibration-when-accelerating-from-a-stop.8908/
Some dealerships have performed the TSB correctly and some haven't. If your Ranger has the symptoms described it is possible to have it corrected. It really depends on the dealership and the competency of the tech doing the work. Some have had the TSB applied and it didn't correct the problem. There are other issues that can cause a shudder or stumble. It is sad to know that Ford still hasn't cured this problem for the 2021 models. Avoid doing a lift or level until the problem is resolved.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT

I had this exact feeling early on, but now at 1300 miles mine is much improved. I would give it some time.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I had this exact feeling early on, but now at 1300 miles mine is much improved. I would give it some time.
Mine isnā€™t very concerning. Noticeable but minor. Iā€™m planning on waiting until my first oil change and if it continues I will bring it up with the dealership.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
I have had what I call a miss, stumble, vibration around 1500-2000rpm since new. Iā€™ve done a lot attempts to eliminate this with little dealer assistance. I felt sure it was fuel injector related but never got a CE.

Anyway the latest fix, as it appears for now, 2weeks, is shimming the driveshaft center bearing. Iā€™m still skeptical because from what I noticed is itā€™s more prevalent in cold damp weather, whatever thatā€™s got to do with I donā€™t know, maybe fuel grade???

I added 1/8, to 1/4 and now 1/2 spacers with longer bolts. The truck has never been smoother.
When itā€™s cold itā€™s a little balky but when hot I donā€™t notice the old vib at all.

Again, Iā€™m still skeptical that it wonā€™t come back in the Fall, if so, imo itā€™s fuel related, injectors.
Im retiring in Oct. and will have plenty of time to deal with the dealer if it comes to that. The saggy seat cover is also something I want fixed.

My truck is a 2wd and has a bit over 15k miles, Eibachā€™s coil overs for a 2ā€ front level. Stock tune. I run mid-grade or premium fuel (I also have been consistently using Exxon fuel for a month now) Most of my driving is city and in that 1500-2500 rpm range. Iā€™ve loaded 2 different tunes to rule out Fords tuning but only had the stumble/vib move up in the rpm range.

The spacers I used are from Unistrut hardware that some folks may recognize. The only issue with these would be that they are not perfectly flat.
Itā€™s working for me.

E48E3D54-865F-437B-B56D-CDFE6E3B949A.jpeg

ED5AEEBF-7880-439B-9E2D-FDEF38F3D502.jpeg
Do you have the part number or link for those? I am doing the same thing and need 3/4 of an inch drop.. I am going to use those or maybe 3/4 square steel tubing? Currently have body shims installed for testing.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Do you have the part number or link for those? I am doing the same thing and need 3/4 of an inch drop.. I am going to use those or maybe 3/4 square steel tubing? Currently have body shims installed for testing.
No I donā€™t. Any place that sells Uni-strut should have them but, I kept playing with them and found my erratic vibs would show back up.
Iā€™m back to stock now.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
My 21 has the shudder between 8-15mph. I plan to wait it out until it's fully broken in. Then go from there.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
You guys are lucky, the center bearing is kept in place by screws. So simply use longer 8 grade screws and shims.
EU and AU rangers have the center bearing kept in place by a nut, while the bolt is welded, so one cannot extend easily that bolt, that's why AU kits have that extension nut which is hard to obtain from regular stores. It has to be milled, and that's how you end up buying a 90$ kit, which should in fact cost less than 5$. The miracles of demand and supply.

Luckily it's easy to fabricate such a kit from a round extension nut, a screw and washers. Only downside, it's one item more.

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
fyi, my 2021 does this. i just got truck earlier this month. with 1400 miles on it now they say there is a tsb. There is. It supercedes the one covering 2019-2020 models and now covers all 2019-2021 models. Same fix. TSB is 21-2136 dated April 30 2021. I have an appt for next month for that as well as the weird sliding/thumping i have coming to a stop and upon acceleration. SR told me they will do the tsb first to see if that fixes both issues. He also said since it's an fx4, it may be normal. um. no. it's not. Anyhow, I think based on my readings, it won't fix that part. I think that's an unlubed slip yoke spline, but who knows..
Sponsored