Does your Ranger have vibration at take off, what did you do?

OP
OP

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I'm kind of surprised the thread woke back up. This thread is a more comprehensive collection of the take-off shudder... https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...vibration-when-accelerating-from-a-stop.8908/

The short answer is the dealerships never fixed the shudder. The first one did it wrong, second still did it wrong. I did it right but did not solve the shudder. I shimmed my center bearing 1/2" which alleviated most of the shudder. Waiting on Tom Woods Driveshaft to put out the one piece Ranger driveshaft. I have spoken with two people who had one piece driveshafts done and both are very happy have smooth take-offs now.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
You wicked ROCK, Phil. I love reading your wisdom! I don't totally get stuff, but I like it!?
That's right, I don't have to understand how a super hero does what they do, but I like the results.

Phil, I'll pay for the dry cleaning on your cape anytime! =)

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dave

Start up shudder is a dynamic event. Stick with me here.... When you accelerate The rear axle pinion rotates upward, how much depends on how hard you accelerate. This change in pinion angle results in a change in the driveline angle which may induce a 2nd order driveline vibration which in the cab you perceive as a momentary shudder. What the manufacturer tries to do is determine a static pinion angle that when the pinion lifts, does not induce this 2nd order vibration or shudder. So the TSB is an attempt to change the pinion angle slightly to hopefully stop the driveline angle change to induce shudder. The angle measurements were determined by Ford Engineering to id those Rangers that are borderline in spec and have shudder or out of spec.

Hopefully this makes sense...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Damn Phil.....you sound like you know what your talking about.... :wink:

Glad we have you around for moral support.....(and technical too)!
Sponsored