Does your Ranger have vibration at take off, what did you do?

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I have had my Ranger a day short of two weeks. I have about 450 miles on it. I really like it except the driveline vibration at take off, and stop and go at low speeds.

Is this common? What did you do to fix it? Did you just live with it? Did you have the TSB 20-2277 done on it?

I have read through and been active on this thread https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...vibration-when-accelerating-from-a-stop.8908/ but would like to get an idea how widespread this is.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my Ranger a day short of two weeks. I have about 450 miles on it. I really like it except the driveline vibration at take off, and stop and go at low speeds.

Is this common? What did you do to fix it? Did you just live with it? Did you have the TSB 20-2277 done on it?

I have read through and been active on this thread https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...vibration-when-accelerating-from-a-stop.8908/ but would like to get an idea how widespread this is.
Hi Dave,

To my knowledge...it is a mixed bag of results, primarily due to spotty dealership expertise for example. There are folks that have shimmed their center bearing with good results and others that report the TSB fix worked....Some reported the TSB did not help....again likely dealer competence or lack there of...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks Phil.

I was trying to figure out how to setup a poll but figured this post would hopefully get some info going. Hope for more feedback activity tonight.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil.

I was trying to figure out how to setup a poll but figured this post would hopefully get some info going. Hope for more feedback activity tonight.
Hi Dave

Start up shudder is a dynamic event. Stick with me here.... When you accelerate The rear axle pinion rotates upward, how much depends on how hard you accelerate. This change in pinion angle results in a change in the driveline angle which may induce a 2nd order driveline vibration which in the cab you perceive as a momentary shudder. What the manufacturer tries to do is determine a static pinion angle that when the pinion lifts, does not induce this 2nd order vibration or shudder. So the TSB is an attempt to change the pinion angle slightly to hopefully stop the driveline angle change to induce shudder. The angle measurements were determined by Ford Engineering to id those Rangers that are borderline in spec and have shudder or out of spec.

Hopefully this makes sense...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Dave

Start up shudder is a dynamic event. Stick with me here.... When you accelerate The rear axle pinion rotates upward, how much depends on how hard you accelerate. This change in pinion angle results in a change in the driveline angle which may induce a 2nd order driveline vibration which in the cab you perceive as a momentary shudder. What the manufacturer tries to do is determine a static pinion angle that when the pinion lifts, does not induce this 2nd order vibration or shudder. So the TSB is an attempt to change the pinion angle slightly to hopefully stop the driveline angle change to induce shudder. The angle measurements were determined by Ford Engineering to id those Rangers that are borderline in spec and have shudder or out of spec.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,
I follow what you are saying and agree 100%. You have provided some great insight to this. We have already been conversing on the shudder TSB thread. I was hoping with this thread in the General topic to find out just how many people are having this issue. I think I may have confused things a bit.

Anne

First Name
Anne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Ranger
Hi Dave

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
You wicked ROCK, Phil. I love reading your wisdom! I don't totally get stuff, but I like it!?

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired

I have 6000 miles on my 2019 Super Crew. I get a minor shudder once in a while. It actually seems like it is getting better as the miles accumulate. It bothered me a bit at first but now I rarely notice it. I think that other trucks may do it worse than what mine does.
If it bothered me I would take it in to have the TSB performed. Couldn't hurt......I hope.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have 6000 miles on my 2019 Super Crew. I get a minor shudder once in a while. It actually seems like it is getting better as the miles accumulate. It bothered me a bit at first but now I rarely notice it. I think that other trucks may do it worse than what mine does.
If it bothered me I would take it in to have the TSB performed. Couldn't hurt......I hope.
HI Scott,

If you do have the TSB performed, It could possibly make it worse if the dealer tech is careless. However, the shim can be removed and you would be back to current configuration. Of the shims in the kit, only one specific angle change should be needed. The kit is pricey as it includes quite a few shimming options.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
HI Scott,

If you do have the TSB performed, It could possibly make it worse if the dealer tech is careless. However, the shim can be removed and you would be back to current configuration. Of the shims in the kit, only one specific angle change should be needed. The kit is pricey as it includes quite a few shimming options.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the heads up. At this point I am just going to leave it alone Phil. It currently only does it once in awhile and even when I feel it it is very subtle.

As I said earlier it seems like it is quite a bit better than when it was new. I have 6000 miles on the odometer. I wonder if anyone else has noticed an improvement over time?

JaketheMus

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Occupation
Transit
I deactivated the auto start/stop from day one. It’s a fully boxed ladder framed 4x4 truck, if I wanted gas mileage I would’ve got the Honda. I also drop it into s mode hit the + button on shifter and wind it out like a manual every time I drive her. No shudder issue. 15k on my 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat. Heavily modded.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I deactivated the auto start/stop from day one. It’s a fully boxed ladder framed 4x4 truck, if I wanted gas mileage I would’ve got the Honda. I also drop it into s mode hit the + button on shifter and wind it out like a manual every time I drive her. No shudder issue. 15k on my 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat. Heavily modded.
I'm getting some vibration, but the 'bounce' gets my attention every time!

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Mine does this as well. If I end up caring enough, I'll go with a Woodys driveshaft.

Its around 10 mph.

I have a feeling it is like a spinning top, they stabilize at speed. Low speed the two piece join probably wobbles about.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Mine does this as well, as the knocking when coming to a slow stop.
I kniw many others have chimedbin on there displeasure with this and so on.
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one
I have a truck, sobit doesn't bother me much. Id complain if it was on my deville, or escalade.
And with a trailer attached, well, the hitch makes a lot of noise and movement anyway, so i dont notice it.
if i had a gen-y torsion hitch id feel less on the hitch.
So basically, i just learn to live with it

My mazda 3, has a really good ride compared to my Ranger. Its a car.
Sponsored