Transmission work needed at 50,000 per Ford dealer

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Ohhh hello over there...

2023 here - shifting issues 3-4. Every other shift is smooth... Occasionally it will do it's stupid drop a gear, or 3 only to go right back to the gear it left in the first place... 😂

I am scared to take it to the dealer... 😂 😂 😂
I was futzing around and reset the tables in Forscan, turned off adaptive trans, and then drove it. It was owful. Drove like trash. I turned adaptive trans back ond its driving really good. And I have over 1000 miles since then.

I used to use tow mode at all times, now I drive in D and it works great. You should try that.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Ohhh hello over there...

2023 here - shifting issues 3-4. Every other shift is smooth... Occasionally it will do it's stupid drop a gear, or 3 only to go right back to the gear it left in the first place... 😂

Don't loose sleep over it...think happy thoughts...it'll fix it self...it'll fix it self...it'll fix it self...it'll fix it self...
movie-eating-popcorn.gif

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I was futzing around and reset the tables in Forscan, turned off adaptive trans, and then drove it. It was owful. Drove like trash. I turned adaptive trans back ond its driving really good. And I have over 1000 miles since then.

I used to use tow mode at all times, now I drive in D and it works great. You should try that.

Theory on what happened.

One of the valves in the valve body is starting to slow down or stick just slightly. When you turned off the adaptive trans, the ECU goes into a default strategy which would also not work well since that strategy assumes everything is moving as designed.

When you turned the adaptives back on, the ECU learned that the valve was slow and probably raised the line pressure or delayed something else to make up for the fact that it is taking longer for that particular clutch to apply.

To go from 3rd to 4th there are two valves that need to move. If one is moving at regular speed and the other is slower then you'll end up with a rough shift. If the ECU knows that one valve is slower, it can slow the other one down so they both complete their functions at the same time.

You can try some Lubegard in the trans, the esters in it can help clean up the valves.

1709452445286.png

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5

I had the exact same experience when toggling adaptive trans off/on. ctechbob may be on to something.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Ohhh hello over there...

Yours has the updated CDF drum. But it could still have an issue that the updated shift strategy or valve body remedy mentioned in the TSB could resolve. You can live with it or have the dealer do the TSB but at least you don’t have to be concerned about the current CDF disaster. But thanks for sharing your 2023 issue. First I have heard of this. We have two members in our off road club with 23’s and neither have mentioned any issues with theirs ( pretty sure theirs are later builds than yours).

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Yours has the updated CDF drum. But it could still have an issue that the updated shift strategy or valve body remedy mentioned in the TSB could resolve. You can live with it or have the dealer do the TSB but at least you don’t have to be concerned about the current CDF disaster. But thanks for sharing your 2023 issue. First I have heard of this. We have two members in our off road club with 23’s and neither have mentioned any issues with theirs ( pretty sure theirs are later builds than yours).
Yeah, I was surprised to have issues.

Shrug.

My truck was an early 23 build week.

It could be worse, I could have driveshaft, and trans issues. 😂

Instead, I had a leaky windshield and wonky shifting. 😂 (the windshield leak has been fixed)

Fx4ranger2019Larait

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Larait
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
So I got my Ranger back from the dealer last Wednesday, shifts great, but it did before the work anyway. I guess I am pleased to get the upgraded drum under warranty and new seals, etc. I did not get a chance to talk to the tech, they delivered the truck to my house. I am going to stop in next week and see if I can just ask him about it, and any suggestions for care beyond the normal Ford maintenance . I enclosed the paperwork the dealer gave me with the steps. They did reference the TSB-23-2350 service bulletin in their descriptions of work done. So I'm hoping for the best. I drove my truck for work and put the first 45,000 on it in less than two years, but now have a company vehicle for work miles, so will only be putting around 5K a year on it now.

I appreciate the information and comments from the forum, I was not aware of any transmission problems before the dealer brought it up.
Manual states to change transmission fluid every 150k miles. I’d change fluid every 30k miles and fluid and filter every 60k. I just came across this thread or I would’ve recommended you buy a new pan with the drain plug and have the dealer install it. Also look into the Fitzstick so you can check the transmission fluid much easier than the stock method where you might burn your arm off.

Here’s a link to thread just post you want one. He might of launched website by now if you just go through website.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ftermarket-support.24547/page-150#post-649664

muzicman0

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
For those of you doing transmission fluid changes at 30k, are you doing it at the dealer? I dropped off my 2019 XLT and the place that I dropped it off said that they couldn't service it. Not sure if it is just them, or something that I don't know.

phanomenal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
man i wish i wouldve known about this bulletin sooner. i bought my 2020 ranger xlt at 59500 miles from my ford dealer and it definitely intermittently shift and engage harshly. it happens randomly but does happen enough. i kind of just chocked it up to it "just being how it drive". i have 61500 miles now. is it certain it must still be in warranty for the dealer to perform the bulletin?

phanomenal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
it was actuallypart of the reason why i got the dealer change my diff, tranfer case and transmission fluid couple weeks ago. all of which i paid for of course

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
man i wish i wouldve known about this bulletin sooner. i bought my 2020 ranger xlt at 59500 miles from my ford dealer and it definitely intermittently shift and engage harshly. it happens randomly but does happen enough. i kind of just chocked it up to it "just being how it drive". i have 61500 miles now. is it certain it must still be in warranty for the dealer to perform the bulletin?
The factory drivetrain warranty is up at 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, unfortunately, unless you bought an extended warranty.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
For those of you doing transmission fluid changes at 30k, are you doing it at the dealer? I dropped off my 2019 XLT and the place that I dropped it off said that they couldn't service it. Not sure if it is just them, or something that I don't know.
I do mine in the garage. Before installing the PPE pan i just sucked whatever I could out of the dipstick hole and refilled with a like amount.

muzicman0

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks. Turns out I am still under warranty (until June), and I am having hard and delayed shifts, so I am taking it to the dealer on Monday. Let's hope they will cover it.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I think it’s just them.

They probably thought that because it doesn’t have a trans fluid drain plug, it can’t be done. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored