Transmission Repair Work Order

Awwphooey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '96 Ranger (365K), '01 Explorer (385K)
Hello everyone, Happy Friday-

I'll be brief, have a 2019 4x4 XLT SuperCrew w/ ~34K. Regular daily driver, work is about 5 miles a day. No mods really, Ford performance tune and an upgraded Fox suspension.

A few weeks ago started having challenges going from 1st to 2nd, super high whine then "clunk" into 2nd with a jolt. Took it to a local Ford shop, they had it for 2 weeks, said fixed, went down to pick it up, 30 seconds after leaving did same thing, obviously hadnt been road tested and was not fixed. Turned around, said a prayer to the good Lord to help me not lose my sh*t on them, they kept it for another 3 weeks, just got it back (luckily all warranty work).

Apparently new repairs made, I believe all they did last time was take some valves apart and clean them, this time around they actually got new parts and replaced them. Something about a new TSB blah blah blah.

Anyway, I'm attaching the work order if anyone wants to check out what they did (sans my contact and truck info at the top). Key phrase on 3rd page "Root cause of failure is 7H350, Code 17", lots of 'found this damage, found that damage, found this damage' on 2nd page. Don't know if it will help anyone, but here ya' go.

Phoo

1.png

2.png

3.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
very interesting! thank you for sharing. I wonder why they could not find all the stuff to repair the first time. esp as you didnt even really leave the lot just u turned back to them. i think that confirms my theory that ford has laid down the law that all 5g trans problems get a relearn flash first and sent back out..

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
There's a lot of pretty big hard parts in that list, something came apart in there and chewed some things up.

Odd that there's an engine oil filter in that list and no oil. Weird that they would change it in the first place.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
There's a lot of pretty big hard parts in that list, something came apart in there and chewed some things up.

Odd that there's an engine oil filter in that list and no oil. Weird that they would change it in the first place.
My guess would be for accessibility, for removal, and just replaced it vs reinstall old, however no mention of oil being added that was lost in removal. (Hmmm)
being that they documented everything (brake Cleaner), might be worth a double check on oil level to be safe - (Good Catch)

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
a real competent mechanic would have set the eng oil filter on top of the filler neck to drain back in while he did all the other work.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I like the cost cap part..... Ford deciding if fixing or replacing is cheaper.

Of course they have a tool for that💩

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
we need a sort of giant 10r80 is poop shoot thread that combines all the transmission threads and posts into a master thread. I think sid had one started some place.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone, Happy Friday-

I'll be brief, have a 2019 4x4 XLT SuperCrew w/ ~34K. Regular daily driver, work is about 5 miles a day. No mods really, Ford performance tune and an upgraded Fox suspension.

A few weeks ago started having challenges going from 1st to 2nd, super high whine then "clunk" into 2nd with a jolt. Took it to a local Ford shop, they had it for 2 weeks, said fixed, went down to pick it up, 30 seconds after leaving did same thing, obviously hadnt been road tested and was not fixed. Turned around, said a prayer to the good Lord to help me not lose my sh*t on them, they kept it for another 3 weeks, just got it back (luckily all warranty work).

Apparently new repairs made, I believe all they did last time was take some valves apart and clean them, this time around they actually got new parts and replaced them. Something about a new TSB blah blah blah.

Anyway, I'm attaching the work order if anyone wants to check out what they did (sans my contact and truck info at the top). Key phrase on 3rd page "Root cause of failure is 7H350, Code 17", lots of 'found this damage, found that damage, found this damage' on 2nd page. Don't know if it will help anyone, but here ya' go.

Phoo

1.png

2.png

3.png
It all started with a BANG into second gear...sadly, I know how this story will end...get extended warranty while you can or start saving...

OP
OP

Awwphooey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '96 Ranger (365K), '01 Explorer (385K)
Had it back for about a week now. Operating smoothly. Hope it lasts.

I have to say after not having it for 3 weeks while driving the loaner they gave me (a Ford EcoSport), I really missed not having my tune. That EcoSport was definitely the little engine that couldn't...

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
This is good info to have. Thanks to the OP for posting this. :like:
Sponsored