Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
My truckā€˜s warm-up lasts as long it takes me to lower my hand from the ignition to the shifter and put it in gear.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
One thing I didn't think about with regards to the warm up in cold weather...
The catalytic converter. It has to be at optimum temp to start catalyzing the un-burned nasty bits in your exhaust.

A cold weather warm up might - MIGHT MAYBE POSSIBLY - could prolong the life of your cat.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Well if Phil hadnā€™t chimed in I would have assumed that anyone that says itā€™s bad to let the truck warm up in the morning was just trying to do their part to limit emissions and feel good about themselves.

Kind of like how all the journalists say safety is strictly a factor of the cars design, and mass doesnā€™t affect anything. Some people (most journalists) donā€™t want people going out and buying heavy cars (which are safer, all things bring equal) because that would cause increased emissions.
Well if Phil hadnā€™t chimed in I would have assumed that anyone that says itā€™s bad to let the truck warm up in the morning was just trying to do their part to limit emissions and feel good about themselves.

Kind of like how all the journalists say safety is strictly a factor of the cars design, and mass doesnā€™t affect anything. Some people (most journalists) donā€™t want people going out and buying heavy cars (which are safer, all things bring equal) because that would cause increased emissions.
Well, kind of extreme don't you think? Me warming my truck for only 30 seconds or so has NOTHING to do with was just trying to do their part to limit emissions and feel good about themselves.
Just because someone doesn't follow your way of thinking doesn't mean they are wrong, nor warants a personal attack on that group. BTW READ post 6...

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
I did read Philā€™s post, and referenced it in my comment. And I think you are right, your 30 seconds has little to do with increased emissions. But the media donā€™t consider your 30 seconds. They consider 30 seconds over many millions of vehicles.

All Iā€™m saying is that sometimes itā€™s not paranoia to be skeptical. And this is one of those instances when there is plenty of incentive for the media to tilt the scales.

Reactions: Doc

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
M
I did read Philā€™s post, and referenced it in my comment. And I think you are right, your 30 seconds has little to do with increased emissions. But the media donā€™t consider your 30 seconds. They consider 30 seconds over many millions of vehicles.

All Iā€™m saying is that sometimes itā€™s not paranoia to be skeptical. And this is one of those instances when there is plenty of incentive for the media to tilt the scales.
My bad, I read hasn't, not the hadn't, you wrote referencing Phil.
My days of trusting the media started waining fast after Walter Cronkite retired. I do have 10+ years experience repairing/rebuilding engines for a GM dealer in the 80's. Whole nother animal. But, back then you had to warm up for extended periods when cold. It took me a bit to change my way of thinking on that one, but I have.
So, for me, I have read sufficient amount of data over the years to form my own opinion that 30 secs is fine. Secondary info will be that I don't want to waste fuel, however small it may be, and the cold vehichle doesn't affect me much. Warm ass, that's about all I need. Driving/coasting down a 2.5 mile hill warms up enough to defrost windows. I park in unheated garage, so no ice/snow scraping. If I parked outside like many, yes, I would warm up until I could see out windshield.

CF6-mech

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
aircraft mechanic
I park in the garage. I pull out of the garage and confirm the door closes completely. I then have about 1/2 mile drive of 35 mph before the hwy. I just keep RPMs down until the temperature gauge is in the normal range.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Hope @P. A. Schilke chimes in: Was reading that starting the vehicle and letting warm up VS start driving directly is bad, in the long term, for the engine. Several reliable references confirmed this. saying that parts of the engine/trans could be starved of oil, thus accelerating wear.

As it has been -10 around here lately, I use remote start so it's warmer inside when I get in... not per sa to warm the engine to get the oil flowing before a load is put on it by driving.

Given that we use 5w-30 or even 0w-30 and the idle is 1200 to 1500 rpm till the catalytic converter is warmed up, I don't see where the oil starvation would come from.

Your thoughts...
Lots of experts will say don't let you motor idle warm up before driving, wastes gas, takes longer to warm up, leaves sweat in the exhaust system longer, etc... Never heard the "oil starvation" thing. I will remote start my truck and let it idle until I am in the cab and buckled up. I dont wait until it is all the way warm to drive . I do take it easy until all warmed up to avoid drier bearings especially on the turbo.

Bud

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL supper cab 2019 Volt 99 XK8 Jaguar
Occupation
Sailor
I always start and go. I don't turn the heater on until the temp gauge is moving. I always felt the quicker you warm the engine the better. Of course, where I live 40 degrees Fahrenheit is considered cold. However, I did the same thing when I lived on the East coast.

OP
OP

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Lots of experts will say don't let you motor idle warm up before driving, wastes gas, takes longer to warm up, leaves sweat in the exhaust system longer, etc... Never heard the "oil starvation" thing. I will remote start my truck and let it idle until I am in the cab and buckled up. I dont wait until it is all the way warm to drive . I do take it easy until all warmed up to avoid drier bearings especially on the turbo.
OK, here's the thing... I agree with: Don't waste gas letting it idle... environmental issues and all. Agree, support all that, etc.

My modus operandi is:

1. Wake up... finally
2. have coffee... second wake up...
3. Tylenol to get all the joints moving...
4. Look out the window and check the temp...
4a. -0... remote start the Ranger, EPA, etc. be damned... 15 min only - for me not the truck
4b. 0 to 32... most likely remote start... , EPA, etc. be damned... 15 min only - for me not the truck
4c. 32+ no remote start, just get in , start, idle while I buckle up; pull away in less than 1 min.

If 4a or 4b:
a. one last hit of coffee (or take a thermal mug with me)
b. given that the state of the Ranger in winter is most often this:
20221227_162454.jpg

c. head on out and clean it off while on remote start... 4 to 5 minutes to clean off.
d. get in; start; buckle up; start driving.

With all that, I will point out that NO ONE has answered the central question:
Is it MECHANICALLY better for the a. engine b. rest of drive train to start and do at least a 1 to 2 minute warm-up (till it comes fast idle to warm the catalytic converter) OR it does not matter (in any practical sense)?? Anything EPA, environmental to be disregarded.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Is it MECHANICALLY better for the a. engine b. rest of drive train to start and do at least a 1 to 2 minute warm-up (till it comes fast idle to warm the catalytic converter) OR it does not matter (in any practical sense)?? Anything EPA, environmental to be disregarded.
Yes - It is better mechanically to warm up when the engine is cold - below 45 degrees F.
It puts all of the fluids closer to performance temps. It distributes those fluids to the places they need to be in the engine and transmission. Those fluids prolong the physical mechanical metal surfaces in the engine.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
OK, here's the thing... I agree with: Don't waste gas letting it idle... environmental issues and all. Agree, support all that, etc.

My modus operandi is:

1. Wake up... finally
2. have coffee... second wake up...
3. Tylenol to get all the joints moving...
4. Look out the window and check the temp...
4a. -0... remote start the Ranger, EPA, etc. be damned... 15 min only - for me not the truck
4b. 0 to 32... most likely remote start... , EPA, etc. be damned... 15 min only - for me not the truck
4c. 32+ no remote start, just get in , start, idle while I buckle up; pull away in less than 1 min.

If 4a or 4b:
a. one last hit of coffee (or take a thermal mug with me)
b. given that the state of the Ranger in winter is most often this:
20221227_162454.jpg

c. head on out and clean it off while on remote start... 4 to 5 minutes to clean off.
d. get in; start; buckle up; start driving.

1672851401678.png
Sponsored