Ecoboost Requires Warmup Before Driving?

wa2be

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Ridgeline
I've been in the process of test-driving midsize trucks the last few weeks. While checking out a GMC Canyon, the sales guy told me that he would never trust the Ecoboost motors in the Ford trucks because if you don't let them warm up first before driving them you will have major issues in a few years. He went on to claim that the Ford dealership next door to him has a constant stream of F150's coming in for repairs due to people not warming them up before driving. Now, I believe most of this is just car salesman hogwash, but having never owned a turbo-charged vehicle myself is there any truth in what he is saying?
Sponsored

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I've been in the process of test-driving midsize trucks the last few weeks. While checking out a GMC Canyon, the sales guy told me that he would never trust the Ecoboost motors in the Ford trucks because if you don't let them warm up first before driving them you will have major issues in a few years. He went on to claim that the Ford dealership next door to him has a constant stream of F150's coming in for repairs due to people not warming them up before driving. Now, I believe most of this is just car salesman hogwash, but having never owned a turbo-charged vehicle myself is there any truth in what he is saying?
wonder how he know what the F150 drivers are going in service for? I have never heard of having to warm up before starting out on the road

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Ask him if he recommends warming up the new Chevy 4-cylinder turbo?

https://www.trucks.com/2018/12/14/first-drive-2019-chevrolet-silverado-4-cylinder-mixed-bag/

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
A GM dealer told you bad things about a Ford?

clutching-my-pearls.jpg

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
My 2011 F-150 3.5 Ecobeast was running strong when I traded it in.

I do think it is best to warm up these Rangers a bit. Mine does seem to stumble if I start it up and go right away.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer

woody

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xl supercab 4 x 4 towed
mine rocks and rolls when I start it and pull out of the garage . so it would be nice if it were smooth when pulling it out . I do let it warm up as I pull away slow and steady down the hill to the 1st stop sign . I picked up the truck on the 1st week of june

dave

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I usually wait about 30 seconds before going in gear on my vehicle. Longer in cold weather.

woody

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xl supercab 4 x 4 towed
my garage is part of the house heated and a/c and finished just like the rest of the house . makes it easy to put my coffee in the truck in the morning wearing socks even when it is 40 below out in the winter . so I have learned to start it up as the garage door is opening and pull it out then let it warm up some

dave

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
All vehicles can be driven right away after starting. No need to sit and idle. Actually it is better to drive normally as this helps get engine to temp faster. But driving and driving hard are two different things. All vehicles should not be driven hard until oil reaches close to operating temp. This allows oil to reach the temp it is designed to flow better at.
Good oil flow helps protect engine when under load. Is it more critical on a turbo? Not really for the reason of a turbo but more for the reason newer engines are built to tighter tolerances and oil flow is more critical.
Not sure what temp the Ranger oil operates at but a good rule is to drive normal from a cold start until you are at 80% of the operating oil temp. Then drive how you want. My GTI runs at 228F so I let it get to 180F after a cold start. Then drive heavy boost when I want. This is about 6 miles in this car.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
I do think it wise to let the engine warm up a little. Just to let the oil get circulated and moving through the engine and turbo. Let it get off fast idle and down to normal. As mentioned above 30-ish seconds in summer and a little longer in winter.

Adjust the volume on radio, change the station, let your phone connect and choose a song, whatever. Put your sunglasses on. Little things like that one can do while the engine warms up. If someone else is with you chat to them for a few seconds so you both don't realize you are just sitting there letting the engine warm up. It makes me cringe when I am with someone who puts their vehicle in gear and drives off seconds after starting a cold engine.

I also let my engine and turbo idle down for about 30 seconds before shutting it off after driving some distance. Same thing, adjust radio volume, put away sunglasses, disconnect phone, etc. Once you get used to it it becomes second nature.

To me it just makes sense to let your vehicle warm up a few extra seconds. Ya don't just jump out of bed seconds after waking up and run an 8K race. You give your body and brain a chance to wake up first, stretch, etc.

Also, as mentioned the GM salesperson will say whatever they can to get your business and keep it from Ford.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase