Ecoboost Requires Warmup Before Driving?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, folks,

This guy is a snake oil salesman. Ford vehicles are tested to start up and go. Most salesmen will say anything to get their commission. As a Ford engineer at a Chrysler dealership, in San Francisco getting a Dodge Caravan fixed as this competitive vehicle broke down on a competitive evaluation, I wandered into the sales area. Looking at a new Caravan...salesman approached me and told me the engine had a" high combustion " engine..intrigued I ask him to further explain this high combustion engine...he failed...

Best.,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
100k hard miles in a focus st in Michigan, with maybe 5 total warmups when it was 25 below zero or so. No engine issues whatsoever. Now did I start it and immediately redline it? No, I used common sense...

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
I usually let it warm up for a minute or two before driving and if I drive long distances I also let it cool down for about 30secs to a minute. I also wait a few miles to drive it hard and I have a lead foot and never had any engine issues with my trucks.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
No, I used common sense...
^^^ That's the key to a lot of things. Letting ANY motor warm up a little, especially in cold weather, will do more good than harm.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Complete BS. It's a good idea not to go beat on any forced induction engine while it's still cold though.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense to let any vehicle idle for 30 seconds or so to get the oil up and around the rotating mass. Been doing this all my life so it isn't a thing.
Hi Folks

This thread got me wondering my time before I back out of the garage, So I timed it and it was 41 seconds, before engaging reverse. Have to adjust seat and mirrors if wife drives before me. Cannot jump on it in reverse, and gently pull away in drive. So total time was roughly 1 minute 2 seconds. Think this is easy on the motor IMO.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
There are lots of factors that come into play when you first start your engines. I came from a diesel so I increased the idle speed to about 1000 until the glow plugs cycled off then I took off. So, with my Ranger I have to look at the start stop swt and turn off, then I have to check the temp control because the day before I probably had the AC on high. Then, I pull out and shut the garage door and make sure that it stays down. By then the eng. trans. and cooling sys. are moving fluid around. I am good to go. Everything will warm up faster with a little load. Now if my wife is going with then I will have idle longer to wait for her LOL. I assume that Ford engineers have already tested these engines for all types of scenarios and goofy things that people do.

I'll tell you a story about way back when cars had manual chokes. This lady told her mechanic that her car wont run at all after it warms up. The mechanic checked the carb and the choke and test drove and it drove just fine. The lady came right back and told him it still does not run when warmed up. So, mechanic says show me. They both get in the car and mechanic notices that the lady pulls out the choke and hangs her purse on it before she starts the engine. :crazy::tumbleweed:

jjaneba

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I have always personally let my vehicles warm up whenever possible. That being said your GM salesman is a dishonest POS trying to sell you a truck. My 2011 EcoBoost was going strong at 150K when I traded it for my Ranger. There were many times I started it and immediately drove in cold CO weather.

Caliope

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC 4WD Lariat, 2022 Bronco Sport OB
Or ask him if not warming up is the cause of the gm tranny being 100% total garbage and the root of a class action lawsuit.
I have the 2.0 Eco in my '15 Escape. Never made any effort to warm it up. No issues so far. Only has 17,600 miles on it, but they are mostly in town short hops.

OP
OP

wa2be

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Ridgeline
Thanks for the feedback! I'm planning to buy a truck after my family makes a move across the country next spring. Not planning to bring my 2006 Ridgeline with me. Right now it's down to the Ranger or the GM twins, but I'm still undecided which way I would go. I love the powertrain in the Ranger, but I like the interior storage space and availability of the 6.5' bed on the GM's. Also, there's some real issues with the 2017 and newer GM's with the 8-speed tranny. I would be looking at a '15 or '16 model with the older 6-speed. I won't buy a new vehicle, so I will have to wait to see what the used market for Rangers is looking like by next year to figure out if one will even fit in my budget. Again, I appreciate the insight on how the Ecoboost engines work!

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback! I'm planning to buy a truck after my family makes a move across the country next spring. Not planning to bring my 2006 Ridgeline with me. Right now it's down to the Ranger or the GM twins, but I'm still undecided which way I would go. I love the powertrain in the Ranger, but I like the interior storage space and availability of the 6.5' bed on the GM's. Also, there's some real issues with the 2017 and newer GM's with the 8-speed tranny. I would be looking at a '15 or '16 model with the older 6-speed. I won't buy a new vehicle, so I will have to wait to see what the used market for Rangers is looking like by next year to figure out if one will even fit in my budget. Again, I appreciate the insight on how the Ecoboost engines work!
GM/Chevy 8-speed issues go further back than 2017 and I believe the 6 speed as well.. I would THOROUGHLY research before buying a GM. I would also demand service reports ona used truck as well to see how many service visits were for tranny issues.

Good luck on whatever you decide to purchase.

Cntrl Cstr

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super cab (Sabre), 2016 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Retired Aerospace Geek

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I have always let my vehicles idle down to operating idle then go. I’ve never had a single issue with any vehicle I’ve owned. To me, throwing it in gear when it’s still at a higher startup idle just feels wrong.
Sponsored