Transmission Tuning preferences (to skip gears or not to skip)

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 - Gots mods
Occupation
Network Engineer
So the ranger is my first vehicle to have so many gears and i was already aware that under normal driving, the computer will skip gears and not always go sequentially. this makes sense to me in certain driving conditions and didn't bother me.

with an aftermarket tune, some are defaulting to always forcing sequential shifts and not skipping gears.

Example: normal acceleration to 50mph the stock program will go 1-3-5-7-8-9.
aftermarket will go sequential 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 etc....

Now part of the enjoyment of an engine with a broad torque band is to not have the vehicle constantly shifting to find that torque (had a tacoma - it sucked and shifted constantly).

so in summary, i actually prefer the skip logic under normal driving.

what's the consensus here?
Sponsored

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Meh...I am on the fence about the gear skipping. The ecoboost makes plenty of torque to handle it but if it is acting like a 6 speed "to save fuel", then give us back the manual transmission option. By the way, in tow/haul mode it will shift sequentially

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
When i tuned with Unleashed Torrie left shifting logic as is just a little firmer on up shifts , but i have a few options Works out pretty good. in D it skips shifts into the highest gear as soon as possible depending on acceleration to save fuel while cruising.

Sport, holds revs higher and shifts firmer still skips when it needs to. Press Tow/Haul and it shifts sequentially, and holds the revs a little higher but not as high and as long as sport. not sure if it uses 10th in tow/haul i was doing 60 in 9th.

It only shifts when it needs to and isn't constantly hunting for gears so its enjoyable to drive. Wish we had the paddle shifters on the wheel though the + / - button on the shifter is kind of cheesy

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It seems stupid to force it to hit every gear if it doesn't need to

Reactions: J_D