First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Toyota is moving US Tacoma production to Mexico by 2021.
Sponsored

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
TacomaWorld forum members have made a name for themselves as some of the biggest idiots in the small truck world. Oblivious to the many flaws the truck has and quick to put down anything else. Occasionally TacomaWorld sends spies to this forum to stir things up. "Kevarmy79"... You're too new here to know what's that's all about... and that's a good thing hahah. Tacoma owners absolutely HATE the Ranger because it's such a better truck in 90% of the ways a truck is measured. We're not validating ourselves - Most of the ribbing we give the Tacoma is for the benefit of ignorant Tacoma owners.

There's a couple things about the Tacoma I liked - #1 by far is an option for a manual transmission. This is somewhat helped by the fact that the Ranger does automatic really well. Unlike my old Escape, where I tromp on the gas and it takes an eternity for the thing to decide what gear to be in.
As someone who came from a Tacoma, just shy of having it 2 years before it was totaled in an accident, had 0 major issues but again it has pros/cons and so does my ranger. Lets also be real 90% of people who buy trucks have 0 purpose of using it for its true potential, majority mall crawl who also spew the capacities and categories their truck is “so far superior”. Not trying to stir anything up just my 2 cents of what I’ve gathered being on truck sites. Really enjoying the ranger tho in the short time I’ve had it just think it’s funny the back and forth on both sites in regards to the opposite truck.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
A taco was indeed #2 on my list. Actually it was #1 on my list until I test drove the Ranger, felt the interior and tromped on the gas. Even then I said to myself "ok this is clearly the better truck" but didn't buy until Ford start dangling those Black Friday $10K off deals last year.

Deleted member 1634

As someone who came from a Tacoma, just shy of having it 2 years before it was totaled in an accident, had 0 major issues but again it has pros/cons and so does my ranger. Lets also be real 90% of people who buy trucks have 0 purpose of using it for its true potential, majority mall crawl who also spew the capacities and categories their truck is “so far superior”. Not trying to stir anything up just my 2 cents of what I’ve gathered being on truck sites. Really enjoying the ranger tho in the short time I’ve had it just think it’s funny the back and forth on both sites in regards to the opposite truck.
I would say that people who have mid-size trucks have a higher percentage of realistic use than full-size truck owners. Then it probably goes up again for heavy duty trucks, since those are so specialized, huge, and expensive they're not an investment to be had lightly.

I think mid-size trucks are what most truck owners actually need. They've got good enough towing and payload numbers for DIY projects and normal size toys like boats, ATVs, and campers. And they're small enough to still fit in the garage and the parking spaces and through old downtown streets. They really are the perfect renaissance vehicle.

There are obviously still people who buy them because they're cool (cough Gladiator cough) or they just want to be a truck guy, but I would think more in the range of 60%, as opposed to 90%. I would agree it's probably around 90% for full-size trucks though. The amount of those on the road is way too many. There's no way there are 2.5M people who need a new fullsize truck every year.

Just thinking about the number of trucks in the parking lot at my work (not now of course for obvious reasons), and how few of them get used for actual work, it's almost depressing. I'm a firm believer of using a vehicle for what it's for. A truck is for work, a sports car is for cruising, an SUV/crossover is for family hauling.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Whether you think so or not, there are real differences in everything from build philosophy, to quality, even brand image. They all matter to the buyer.
It is true that I could still be driving a Corvair if I chose, but it would not be worth the effort required of me.

Every NFL team has a following, even though it can be easily proven which is best, from top to bottom.
Irrational? Yes maybe, but I don't even like football so all teams look alike to me.
Ironically that doesn't make me an impartial judge of football. In fact quite the opposite is true...
The rabid fans are far better to judge.... and they all know why.

Facts are stubborn things, but loyalty can be just as stubborn, and often far more valuable.
I'm a car guy and I like Ford products, their build philosophy, history, and public image.
I don't like Toyota's build philosophy, history or public image.

Those are all good reasons, but a lifetime of building, modifying, repairing and driving all sorts of vehicles has taught me what is practical repairable and economical to own.
These are also solid reasons why I buy, drive, and maintain Ford vehicles.
Reasons which are no more or less important than the reasons previously mentioned.

I could, in fact, still be driving almost any one of the eighty vehicles I have owned over the years, but a solid blend of all these reasons and a few others, has led me to the fleet I now own, and also explains why Toyota is no longer a part of it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
A truck is for work, a sports car is for cruising, an SUV/crossover is for family hauling.
Corrections: a real SUV is for driving off-road, while a crossover is for nothing but image. A minivan is for family hauling. :)

Last edited:

Firestud5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX2.
Occupation
Fire Captain (Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I too was a Tacoma owner. Had a 2015 Tacoma top of the line. Had a few minor problems in the almost 5 years I had it. The reason I got the Tacoma in 15 is that Ford was not making Rangers, otherwise, I would have gotten one. Anyway, the ranger is, in my opinion, much better than the Tacoma. Especially that crappy Entune system that Toyota used. Much happier with the Ranger.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
When they got to the number of configurations I gave up watching. They showed an FX4, but seemed to insinuate that FX4 only meant 4wd. They also left off the Sport and FX4 configurations from their total number of combinations.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
Traded in my 2007 Tacoma for new Ranger. Tacoma's are over priced, not that special, and got poor ratings from Consumer Reports.

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Outright weird vid.

When I was on the market, I wanted to like the Taco. I had one of Toyota's pre Tacoma trucks for almost 2 decades which I loved and never did a single repair on beyond at home maintenance, I've never driven an automatic, and when it comes to smaller trucks, I believe in Toyota DNA more than Ford.

But after doing a serious comparison, I came to the conclusion that the Ranger was the clearly superior truck and that the Taco was depending too much on image and reputation for sales.

There was a time when Toyota trucks were cheap bare bones workhorses, and I would have been pretty happy with that. But for the price point they sell them at, I decided to get something much better.
Sponsored