Why did you pick the Ranger over the Tacoma?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I started out looking to get a Tacoma because that's what ALL the Kool Kids drove.

I was certain it was just going to be picking out the one equipped the way I wanted it.

Then I test drove a Tacoma and hated the gutless V6/indecisive transmission combination.

Surely that was just a bad one, so I drove 3 more. Surprise! they all drove the same.

Interesting tidbit: On one of my test drives the salesman casually pushed the PWR/ECT button as soon as he got in the truck to pull it off the lot, which is akin to putting our shifter in Sport mode. I casually turned it back off when I got into the driver seat and his expression soured a bit, as did the Tacoma driving experience ?

After my disappointing 2018 Frontier Pro4X, I looked at ZR2 first and then Ranger.

After I drove a Ranger, the search narrowed to a Ranger equipped the way I wanted it.

Rain drenched Ranger!!!

IMG_1857.jpeg

Last edited:

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
I drove them all, if I could find them. No Chevy’s to be found in early 2020, only one Frontier, a few Hondas and lots of Tacos. Went to the Toyota dealer drove two new models and one 2018 Limited. They all were awful.
The new Frontier looked identical to my 04‘ model, the Hondas drove like a sedan and the Taco, well the test drives could not end fast enough. In the top of the line Limited, the seat felt like a 1960’s boat cushion from my granddad’s aluminum fishing boat.
‘The Ranger’s drove great and just felt right. Still does…60,000 miles later.

In fact, it was a chore to keep my wife from trying to claim it as hers. After two weeks she wanted to sell her car and get one for herself. She settled on an Escape. Still not happy and wants a Maverick or Ranger.

Atitagain

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
I've owned both in the past and was happy with both except for the gas mileage on the Tacoma. I have always driven Fords except for two strays. A 1983 Chevy S-10 (biggest piece of junk I've ever had) and an 80's Tacoma. Traded the S-10 for my first Ranger.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
That is easy: the Ranger has more power, gets better gas mileage, has a higher payload rating, has a higher towing capacity and comparably equiped cost less. Plus I think the Ranger is better looking.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Knew I wanted a Ranger after seeing them in the UK in 2017. After driving one this year I was sold. Don't like the look of the Toyota or Nissan so never considered them.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I had a Tacoma:
  • It drove like a Camry, boring. Actually worse because I had a Camry too and it was way faster. Taco wanted to lug in 4th gear all the time and lose speed.
  • Even the 4cyl Tacoma got dogshit mpg, 22 highway mpg compared to my old Ranger that could actually get 29.
  • It had a recall for frame rust.
  • It had rear drum brakes.
  • It had a giant grab handle on the giant driver pillar so anytime I went around a left hand curve I couldn't see a damn thing.
  • The liftgate is hollowed out with only strips of thin metal across the top, so when you load up a motorcycle or in some cases just sit on it, it dents. Says in the manual to REMOVE IT anytime you need to load up something heavy.

Resale value really is the best thing for the Taco cause I sold mine in 6 months. Some Mexican bought it and racked up charges cause I forgot to take my damn EZpass out. I had to cancel it cause when I called him pretended to not understand "stop using my EZpass" even though he understood English just fine when he bought it. Damn that truck.
Sponsored