First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry if this has already been shared... Was cruising through YouTube today saw this ad. It's not unusual to compare your product to a competitor in ads, but the way this one went about it just struck me as odd...almost like a love letter to the Ranger (albeit in a weird way).

Really the only compelling arguments they had for the Tacoma were the availability of different trims including dedicated off road trims (which Ford arguably matches via packages like Sport Appearance and FX4, etc), more powertrain options (note more, not better), and standard touch screen in SR vs the basic Sync in the XL.

Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

I've seen that pop up on my "suggested videos" feed on YouTube for the last month or so. I'd avoided watching it because I thought it was going to be a blatantly biased "Tacoma is better in every way" sort of video. But based on your review, I might give it a watch just out of curiosity.

UPDATE: I watched it and it is certainly biased towards Toyota. But that's to be expected, they wouldn't put out an ad for their vehicle saying it wasn't the best. It was definitely as unbiased as it could be though, so bravo to them on that. I'm not sure Ford has made a similar video/comparison. The comments on the other hand are not unbiased at all. haha But again, to be expected. Not only is it on the internet, which already means horrible comments, but it's all Toyota fanboys, so that certainly doesn't help. haha

Last edited by a moderator:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That is an interesting ad - and they definitely marketed it towards the Tacoma. It was a very interesting comparison, you are right.

ParkRanger90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Pretty straightforward comparison biased towards Toyota. Only thing they didn’t say was for anyone 6’0 or taller like me, the Ranger is the obvious choice.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
“While Ranger only has a total of 12 package options”..

Yeah, as a consumer the mind melting number of options that create an artificial sense of value and are designed to confuse, frustrate and ultimately separate more money from the consumer wallet isn’t something I want MORE of.

Also notice they didn’t really want to compare tow figures, prices for equal optioned vehicles, fuel economy or TORQUE. And let me be clear I like Toyota, we have two in the garage (and two fords) but if I owned neither of these trucks and saw this ad I would immediately think “wow, toyota sure is scared of the competitor”. And I’d be right.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
That's Toyota basically saying that they are not lowering their price to be competitive.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's amazing that the Tacoma comes in so many configurations, but it's still impossible for me to buy one that I want. (High trim 4wd/offroad extended cab 6foot bed AND NO F'ING SUNROOF. Ignoring the lousy engine, transmission, and seating for 6 footers. And then if you want some options they pull that "only available painted grey" BS.)

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve

I’ve heard they won’t be rolling out the next gen of tacos until 2024
That's actually good news. I was curious to see what the new Tacoma would have on it but I would never buy another first-year Tacoma. I've had the ranger for a year and have not had any issues with it then again I only have 5000 miles without a hiccup. I say that is if it's special. LOL now I think it's to be expected. I'm going to get a lot of thought to my next vehicle purchase cuz I'll probably end up keeping it. Getting too old almost old enough for a new Corvette. LOL By the way I think the new Corvette is a Poor Man's Lambo wannabe. I would never drive that car around I don't need the attention. Positive or negative

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
it didnt feel like an Ad to me.

it felt more like a video they would play at a Toyota conference for salesmen and managers.
kind of a boredom setting tone to it. "Hey Timmy wake up, you keep falling asleep"

Its almost like, here is our biggest competitor, we need to prop up our sales staff with some info to wedge ourselves at or near the top....what ever little bit they can.
the market share will be getting smaller for them unless they make changes.
Yes!

Felt exactly like a corporate talking point video.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
So Ranger only offers one drive train. What can Toyota build which would come close to the performance of my STX SuperCab? Answer... Nuthin'

For $25,500 I have a truck which will out run, out haul, out last, and go further on a gallon of gasoline
than anything Tacoma offers .... and for less money than their cheapest offering and about Half of the price of their highest priced offering. That's up to 1250 pounds of $ quarters $ in my box still leaving over 600 pounds of payload space.

Of course I prefer driving my STX on pavement to driving a TRD:wink: anywhere.
As for offroad? I can still buy a capable Ranger XL 4WD for less than a base Tacoma 2WD in a real world actual cash deal. :party:
Compare those two!o_O

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I think that the only area the Tacoma beats the Ranger is in aftermarket support where the Tacoma is probably second only to the Wrangler.

Other than that, the Ranger has it covered.

I wonder why their video doesn't show a towing/hauling/drag race comparison?

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
The latest Toyota Tacoma has arrived, and it's better than ever the same as the last 2 decades.

Yeah that is a weird video. So... where's the V6 vs 4 Cyl hp comparison?

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
As you can tell by the corporate speak in this power point video, Toyota is worried because they singled out the Ranger. Cab comfort, ride dynamics, towing capability all point to the Ranger as the better vehicle. Yet Toyota continues on with the same truck as before with little improvements. I know many of you have first hand info and opinions on the Taco because you now own a Ranger. Even though this video attempts to portray the idea that their truck is superior, I think we all have other opinions about that.

ParkRanger90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
As you can tell by the corporate speak in this power point video, Toyota is worried because they singled out the Ranger. Cab comfort, ride dynamics, towing capability all point to the Ranger as the better vehicle. Yet Toyota continues on with the same truck as before with little improvements. I know many of you have first hand info and opinions on the Taco because you now own a Ranger. Even though this video attempts to portray the idea that their truck is superior, I think we all have other opinions about that.
Tacos are very capable off road, anything beyond that I’m not so sure.
Sponsored