Why did you pick the Ranger over the Tacoma?

Dave859

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Manufacturing
I don't care for the looks of the Tacome (bland, uninspiring) but the main reason being the Ranger out performs the Tacoma and I prefer the 2.3T over the V6 in the Tacoma and I've read countless complaints about the seating position in the Taco. I drive long distances a few times throughout the year and comfort is important to me.
Sponsored

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I live in Colorado, where everyone, and I mean Every. Single. Person. has a Tacoma. If you're not a Jeeper, that is.
I live in Montana, where your manhood is judged by the truck you drive, and anything less than a 3/4-ton 20-foot long 7-liter turbo-diesel dualie means that you are simply deficient in any way a male can be. I have been judged more than once for the diminutive nature of my less-than-full-sized pickup. Whatever. If fulfills its mission, and at a fraction of the cost.

Utope

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cactus Grey XLT SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I live in Montana, where your manhood is judged by the truck you drive, and anything less than a 3/4-ton 20-foot long 7-liter turbo-diesel dualie means that you are simply deficient in any way a male can be. I have been judged more than once for the diminutive nature of my less-than-full-sized pickup. Whatever. If fulfills its mission, and at a fraction of the cost.
Ha, my dad has a 1 ton with Deweez hay bale bed. ā€œWhyā€™d you buy a baby truck?ā€ Because this one is cheaper, fits my needs, and a F150 wouldnā€™t fit down the trails as easily. Donā€™t want a massive full size; been down that road and itā€™s more truck than Iā€™ll ever use.

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
We test drove the Tacoma a few times over the last few years before choosing the Ranger. The two things I did not like about the Taco were the seats and the transmission. The overall drivetrain felt old and dated, and the seats were just plain uncomfortable.

To be honest, I also spent a lot of time in Thailand and Australia for work before the Ranger was available here, and I fell in love with them there. In both countries, Rangers were everywhere, and I could not wait until they became available here.

PC74

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
One of my favorite topics ... I was a Tacoma guy through the time Ford stopped making the Ranger, had a Tacoma for 7 years - Two climates (Pittsburgh and Florida) - and that thing was bulletproof. It had the 4.0L engine so I didn't have the problems they have with the new 3.5 (sluggish, underpowered, etc.). It was super easy to work on, filter was top-mounted so oil changes were a breeze.

It was capable - Never had an issue getting anywhere. It just never gave me any problems.
Best part, the resale value. I think I spent $28k on it and when I sold it I got a little over $20k so a little more than $1k a year for ownership for the time I had it was pretty damn good in my eyes.

So when I decided to get a 'newer' truck to get a little more tech in it - I drove more Tacomas, I think I test drove them 8 different times - Everything from the TRDSport, TRDOffRoad, TRDPro - All grades.

I drove the Ranger twice and bought it.

Comfort is vastly superior.
Motor is vastly superior (much more fun to drive).
Quieter on the inside. More room in the back for my kids. Styling is good (though looking forward to the refresh too ...)

Tacomas are great, don't get me wrong - But the Ford is overall just a better, more comfortable truck. I haven't looked back.

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I tow very infrequently, but I have taken a 4k lb trailer cross country with the cab and bed also loaded. Ranger did just fine.

Really I picked it because I had a hard $30k budget and have always liked ford. Was able to get a new 4wd XLT within budget so I jumped.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
I canā€™t see why anyone in their right mind would buy a Taco personally??? Horrible seating position, cramped rear seat in the crew cab and dated interior. I can go onā€¦.gutless and underwhelming drive train, only fair MPG and not even class leading payload and towing. Iā€™ll round it out with a general overpriced for what you get.

Yet it overwhelmingly rules midsize sales??? I just donā€™t get it??? ?

Iā€™m still driving an ā€˜02 F-150 SuperCrew and hopeful for a ā€˜24 Ranger in a SuperCrew/longbed configuration. No way would I settle for a Taco even though they do offer the cab/bed configuration Iā€™m looking for. Toyota has a lot of improvements to make on their next gen Taco before Iā€™d ever consider it.

Shelpdogg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
IT Manager
I really wanted to like the Tacoma, and wanted one for a while. Glad I never bought one.
Two things killed it for me...price and seating position. It sits like you're in a car and very uncomfortable. Not at all like a truck should be. Drove a 2019 FX4 once and bought it.

On my second Ranger now with the 2022 Tremor.

John Abeln

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Crew-cab FX4
Mainly price. I had 3 Tacoma's in the past and was shopping for the 4th, but the discounted (pre-pandemic) price on the Ranger was too hard to pass up. I was reluctant about the turbo and HVAC controls on the Ranger. One of them has not let me down. They are both good trucks though and no regrets.

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
When I was researching to buy a vehicle, I always had the Ranger in mind. I almost went for a Bronco, but so glad I didn't. I did research on the Tacoma and discovered the reports of the lack luster performance, plus I didn't like the way it looked. Never test drove it - didn't need to feel what a non-responsive engine felt like. I also liked the very few complaints about the 2.3 Ecoboost and 10 spd tranny in the Ranger. (it didn't hurt that an Ecoboost engine powered the Ford GT to a Lemans win in 2016 - beating Ferrari again 50 years later lol)

Sierraford

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Consumer Reports reviews, all available road tests
Sponsored