John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Pretty honest advertisement I thought.

Having drivin' a Tacoma for the last 20+ years I'd have bought another... except the seating sucks and they are ugly.... I'm not a fan of the "Optimus Prime" styling.

So far so good on our 2019 Ranger SuperCab.... it has about 5,800 miles on it. We'll see if it'll go 170,000 miles and 17 years without any mechanical issues.... like our last Tacoma did.
Sponsored

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
They should talk about how slow the 4-cyl is and how much worse the MPG is.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota: Let's talk about approach angle - we win!
Ford: What about departure angle?
Toyota: Shut up
Ford: And what about torque comparison? Or towing?
Toyota: RESALE VALUE!

Note: I may have missed the torque comparison - I just noticed the horsepower comparison.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota: Let's talk about approach angle - we win!
Ford: What about departure angle?
Toyota: Shut up
Ford: And what about torque comparison? Or towing?
Toyota: RESALE VALUE!

Note: I may have missed the torque comparison - I just noticed the horsepower comparison.
I think Toyota resale value is a thing of the past. There's going to be a glut of used Tacomas in a couple years and those of us who are familiar with the 3rd gen know what the problems are and will stay away. If I was going to buy a Tacoma today, it would be a 2nd gen. 3rd gen is just garbage

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Too tempting.

I had to stir the pot a bit in the comments.

I'm expecting the Tacoma White Knights to ride to the defense of the Chariot Of The Gods momentarily.

Deleted member 1634

I think Toyota resale value is a thing of the past. There's going to be a glut of used Tacomas in a couple years and those of us who are familiar with the 3rd gen know what the problems are and will stay away. If I was going to buy a Tacoma today, it would be a 2nd gen. 3rd gen is just garbage
My brother has been looking at getting a Taco for awhile and mainly focusing his efforts on a used 2nd gen one. He wants a Taco mainly because he's set on a manual transmission truck, which is fine. They're good trucks and will do everything he wants it to do. But with how expensive a used one is, I keep trying to figure how it's worth it. Especially when a used 7 year old 2nd gen with 100,000+ miles is still like $20k+, and for a few thousand dollars more you can get a brand new truck with all the safety and extra years of life.
I just don't get why the resale value is so much higher than everything else. It's just a regular pickup truck.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if this has already been shared... Was cruising through YouTube today saw this ad. It's not unusual to compare your product to a competitor in ads, but the way this one went about it just struck me as odd...almost like a love letter to the Ranger (albeit in a weird way).

Really the only compelling arguments they had for the Tacoma were the availability of different trims including dedicated off road trims (which Ford arguably matches via packages like Sport Appearance and FX4, etc), more powertrain options (note more, not better), and standard touch screen in SR vs the basic Sync in the XL.

Thanks for sharing this, I never would have seen it otherwise. Yes, you get the impression that Toyota is very worried about the Ranger--and rightfully so!

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
Man why can't people just be happy with the car they have and not have a measuring contest to validate themselves, both are nice trucks and have their own pros and cons...

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
...they are ugly.... I'm not a fan of the "Optimus Prime" styling.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the same about the current gen Tacos. Hideous.

My brother has been looking at getting a Taco for awhile and mainly focusing his efforts on a used 2nd gen one. He wants a Taco mainly because he's set on a manual transmission truck, which is fine. They're good trucks and will do everything he wants it to do. But with how expensive a used one is, I keep trying to figure how it's worth it. Especially when a used 7 year old 2nd gen with 100,000+ miles is still like $20k+, and for a few thousand dollars more you can get a brand new truck with all the safety and extra years of life.
I just don't get why the resale value is so much higher than everything else. It's just a regular pickup truck.
I had considered the same thing. I like the 2nd gen ones, but the resale pricing on them is just stupid. I came to the same conclusion that buying new was a far better option given that I buy a vehicle and keep it for a long time. Last vehicle I owned for 13yrs and was the only owner it had until I sold it. Also figured out pretty quickly that pretty much any competitor on the market was less expensive than a new Taco for what I wanted.

I think this is a perfect example of Toyota being complacent with that truck. It's not like they haven't known there would be stiff competition. The new Canrado hit the market several years ago and showed that competitors meant business and they were gunning for the Taco's market share.

Some of the items highlighted in that video were pretty silly. I mean, okay, there are threads here wishing that Ford had done a power sliding rear window, and offered wireless charging. I get that, but using those little things to say that your truck is better? haha. And a moonroof? Like already mentioned, I don't want a f*cking moonroof on any vehicle. All they do is leak.

NJB_Aragorn

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT CC Ranger
And a decent Tacoma only starts at like 38k and no there are no financing incentives, and no there are no discounts, and this is the price because TOYOTA!!

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Pretty honest advertisement I thought.

Having drivin' a Tacoma for the last 20+ years I'd have bought another... except the seating sucks and they are ugly.... I'm not a fan of the "Optimus Prime" styling.

So far so good on our 2019 Ranger SuperCab.... it has about 5,800 miles on it. We'll see if it'll go 170,000 miles and 17 years without any mechanical issues.... like our last Tacoma did.
You're right about the Toyota "fish face" styling! With styling like that, they could put Studebaker clean out of business!

Here's my former 2001 Ranger at 18 years of Chicago winters and 190,000 miles, sold in excellent condition just like its 1992 predecessor at 201,000 miles also sold in great shape.
If there was no new Ranger I would still be driving my 2001...
No worries ... you traded up!

thumbnail.jpg ranger1.jpg

thumbnail.jpgran3.jpg

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
You're right about the Toyota "fish face" styling! With styling like that, they could put Studebaker clean out of business!

Here's my former 2001 Ranger at 18 years of Chicago winters and 190,000 miles, sold in excellent condition just like its 1992 predecessor at 201,000 miles also sold in great shape.
If there was no new Ranger I would still be driving my 2001...
No worries ... you traded up!
Nice! Love those 5 spoke Americans.

I wish the new Rangers didn't have the wheel hubs out so far so some deep dish wheel designs could be used.

Here's my 1st new truck.. an '85 S-15.

1985 S-15.JPG

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Man why can't people just be happy with the car they have and not have a measuring contest to validate themselves, both are nice trucks and have their own pros and cons...
TacomaWorld forum members have made a name for themselves as some of the biggest idiots in the small truck world. Oblivious to the many flaws the truck has and quick to put down anything else. Occasionally TacomaWorld sends spies to this forum to stir things up. "Kevarmy79"... You're too new here to know what's that's all about... and that's a good thing hahah. Tacoma owners absolutely HATE the Ranger because it's such a better truck in 90% of the ways a truck is measured. We're not validating ourselves - Most of the ribbing we give the Tacoma is for the benefit of ignorant Tacoma owners.

There's a couple things about the Tacoma I liked - #1 by far is an option for a manual transmission. This is somewhat helped by the fact that the Ranger does automatic really well. Unlike my old Escape, where I tromp on the gas and it takes an eternity for the thing to decide what gear to be in.
Sponsored