First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
I noticed this past weekend when cleaning all my glass that when I close a door and the other is opened or window is cracked open the door closing has a real light tinny sound. Now close that same door with the cab buttoned up and it thuds with a solid sound. Mind you I’m in a SCAB so my front doors are 5” longer than crew cabs.

What it is! But… I’ll be sound proofing mine when the speaker upgrades happen. 2 birds baby!
That's along the lines of my initial reaction to this thread. When I was younger I really got into the physics of speaker building. In an enclosed speaker, the air trapped inside acts to stiffen the suspension of the speaker cone when it gets compressed. This can be tuned by changing volume, adding insulation or batting, and using ports. A truck cab is much like a speaker enclosure, with door being the speaker cone in that last inch of closing. Compare the sound between one door open and two; that's like an enclosed speaker and a free-air one. Which, if you follow that path, might mean something else is different about the "problem" trucks, like weather seals, missing firewall plugs or even the inner ventilation duct doors being in an unexpected position when the truck is parked.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat, 2003 XLT Ford Ranger
Occupation
Beekeeper
My 19' sounds solid. I had a Tacoma as a rental car last week, and man that thing sounds like an old Fiat when you close the door....
From what it seems like from reading all the comments here, the 2019 models got sound deadening, but Ford cheaped out in 2020 and ours sound like tin cans.

briwill70

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
My 21 Lariat doors sounds the same. Ford definitely screwed up on this. I will be adding sound deadener to the doors. I like my Ranger but for $40k+ doors should be insulated, should have heated steering wheel and a sunroof. And don't get me started on the factory shocks!

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
From what it seems like from reading all the comments here, the 2019 models got sound deadening, but Ford cheaped out in 2020 and ours sound like tin cans.
Now I am curious if the same vehicles with the problem are missing the middle tie-downs in the bed. It's possible that at some cut-off date Ford had to make some hard choices in light of COVID-caused complications to building trucks.

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Now I am curious if the same vehicles with the problem are missing the middle tie-downs in the bed. It's possible that at some cut-off date Ford had to make some hard choices in light of COVID-caused complications to building trucks.
I have the tinny door(s) and am missing the middle tie downs. 2021 XLT.

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
My 21 Lariat doors sounds the same. Ford definitely screwed up on this. I will be adding sound deadener to the doors. I like my Ranger but for $40k+ doors should be insulated, should have heated steering wheel and a sunroof. And don't get me started on the factory shocks!
Sometimes I think my doors sound tinny, but most times I don't think about it at all. I actually even like the tinny "plink" of raindrops on the roof, because it reminds me of riding in my dad's F-100 as a kid. And that's what it is: it's a truck, not a luxury car, and I think it's comparable in price to the other midsized trucks out there. Besides, if BMW can't manage to insulate it's doors, what would make you think Ford would?

Remember, Ford built the Ranger to a price point. If they made it cost too much, it'd be too expensive to compete with the Colorado or Tacoma, and it'd be too small and useless to compare with the F-150. I think they did alright. I'd rather they skimp on something like sound deadening instead of something more important. Remember that this is the same company that would rather let Pintos explode than to spend the $10 it would take to fix the fuel tank issue, all because it would cut into their bottom line too much.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't think $40k isn't that much these days. $40k of 2021 money was worth $4,700 in 1966. Sure, that's nearly twice what a base model Bronco cost ($2,400) but that truck was too short to tow anything, and didn't even have doors or a roof! Think about how much more of a vehicle you're buying these days: more powerful engines, fewer trips to the gas station, less likely to kill you in an accident, air conditioning, etc.

Hellrazor

First Name
Clement
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Baller
Same here 2021 lariat.. conclusion cheap shit my Porsche sounds solid when closing it.

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
Do not put peal'n'seal in your car...! Buy the real thing, not all are created equal. I have Dynamat Xtreme in my doors and it got rid of the twang of the sheet metal. I've always had high end audio systems in my cars and have gotten use to installing it in any vehicle I own regardless of price.

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase

The 2019s do not have any factory sound deadening. I also applied Dynamat Xtreme to the doors and rear cab wall. Easy and relatively inexpensive to do and makes a huge difference. IIRC, I used about 3/4 of a bulk pack box of Dynamat.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I just installed Dynamat on all four doors. The change is immediate and very noticeable. This might be one of my favorite and easiest mods for this truck. No more cheap sounding steel drum doors.
Sponsored