Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
^^ This
OP, in your original post you didn't mention but does the clunk happen after you come to a stop and start to ease up on brake pedal? If so, it's the dry spline issue Ranger33566 mentions. I had it on my previous truck, a Tacoma. Pretty common on trucks with automatics, and pretty annoying too. Here's a copy and paste from another forum which explains it pretty well:
Its a result of differential wrap up. Automatic transmissions only. Here is what is happening. As you brake, the differnetial tries to roll forward, as the rear shoes are attatched to the rear axle. So it rolls the diff forward, the pinion nose dives down and the slip yoke on the driveshaft puls apart, then you apply the brakes. But with the automatic transmission, the "load" is still on the slip yoke because an automatic will keep applying pressure ot the driveshaft. So the bind on the slip yoke in the extended position holds the rear diff "wrapped up" and when you release the brake, it unwinds and gives you the affect you just got lightly bumped buy a car behind you. Does this sound right? Add more grease to the slip yoke.
Yes! This describes it perfectly... it’s like a clunk as if someone hit my truck from behind. Thank u for your reply. I will show this to the service department at Ford
Sponsored

OP
OP

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
Hi Michelle..

Not likely defective. There several cases of poor lube from the driveshaft manufacturer. What I would recommend is you open a formal complaint with Ford Customer Care....the more complaints they receive the better to flag the problem to Supplier Quality Assurance. I believe the supplier is Dana but not 100% sure about this...

I noticed my Ranger started with a hint of this bump/sound. So I agressively bounce the rear suspension in the garage... Jumping up and down.... It went away. I will likely have to lube my driveshaft splines in the future... Fixed for now...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired
Thank you so much!

OP
OP

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
Hi Michelle, Did the dealer fix the problem?
Nope it’s my 3rd trip to have it diagnosed. They greased the driveshaft but didn’t resolve issue. I’ve noticed since I only have a small amount of gas in the tank right now that it’s not making the noise. Wondering if the tank needs a baffle or if the baffle is loose? I’m going to give it a few more days on nearly empty of gas and see if the noise is still not apparent.

White

First Name
White
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Nope it’s my 3rd trip to have it diagnosed. They greased the driveshaft but didn’t resolve issue. I’ve noticed since I only have a small amount of gas in the tank right now that it’s not making the noise. Wondering if the tank needs a baffle or if the baffle is loose? I’m going to give it a few more days on nearly empty of gas and see if the noise is still not apparent.
Maybe because there is less weight on the rear end it changed the angle of the driveshaft. P.A. Schilke any suggestions?

OP
OP

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
Maybe because there is less weight on the rear end it changed the angle of the driveshaft. P.A. Schilke any suggestions?
Interesting thoughts. ???

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
The hanging tab on my rear seat belt bounces
against the plastic next to the rear door when I brake. Sometimes aggravating, thinking of a piece of Velcro...

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm watching this thread I have same "thug" noise even before I lift the truck. I'll try my testing it when my gas tank is full vs almost empty. I have other noise related to the lift as well.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I can tell you guys it's almost certainly the driveshaft. I had the same issue. Originally I lubed the splines on mine and it made a big difference but the issue was still there occasionally. Once I switched to a one piece driveshaft, the problem went away all together and has never returned. My .2 cents.
Sponsored