First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
When I put on the breaks there is about a 2 second delay and then I hear a thud! It’s coming from the back of the truck. They tell me my spare tire is not shifting. Can’t figure out what it could be.... any ideas?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
Possible a dry slip joint on the drive shaft?
It’s brand new so is that still a possibility? The service department at Ford has been no help. Very frustrating.

OP
OP

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
I got this.....

im an assassin by trade.
when i am peeling away from a call and driving spirited through the streets, i too get the sound when hitting the brakes hard and the body rolls forward and hits the front of the bed.

check for a body in there perhaps. maybe one of my competitors got lazy and did a drive by dumping into the bed of your truck instead of going to the usual construction sites downtown that pour concrete at 2am.
So funny because that’s exactly what it sounds like! Ha! I’ve even checked the bed of the truck numerous times! ?
No bodies. ??
I’m beginning to think the bed of the truck has to catch up with the truck once I brake. It’s so odd. I brake. Then THUMP!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Back when we got snow here it would collect in the bed as I don’t have a cover yet. Once it warms up a little and starts melting is when the thuds start. It sloshes front to back and compacts in both directions starting and stopping. Once it gets packed hard it starts slamming with a great thud! Open the tailgate and punch it and drop the turd. Ahhh that’s better ?

OP
OP

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
tailgates sometimes thump back and forth.
a damper wont help....at least not when its up and stowed.

and my F150 had a wiggly trailer hitch in the receiver that would give you odd knocks once in awhile.
I will check the trailer hitch. I’ve checked the tailgate. It doesn’t move at all. I’m honestly thinking it’s my spare tire and they told me it wasn’t because they probably didn’t wanna take time to check it. They played the ole “we drove it and heard nothing” card. I’m going to take them for a drive.

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
My back seat clunks, very irritating while wheelin' I can't get it to latch shut, didn't know there is a latch. I can't find it yet. I assumed that's the way it should be so I stuck a movers blanket behind it. Problem solved.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My back seat clunks, very irritating while wheelin' I can't get it to latch shut, didn't know there is a latch. I can't find it yet. I assumed that's the way it should be so I stuck a movers blanket behind it. Problem solved.
The latch (black loop) should be on top between the rear passengers and middle headrest.

IMG_3912.jpg

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
You could easily test if it’s the tailgate by removing it. Would also suggest having it display the gear it is on to see if it corresponds to a downshift or when you actually come to a full stop or what.

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
Try your best to locate the area (may need someone to drive for you). Once you know the area, check for loose bolts or if anything moves oddly. Have you had any modifications in the rear or anything in the bed?

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
When I put on the breaks there is about a 2 second delay and then I hear a thud! It’s coming from the back of the truck. They tell me my spare tire is not shifting. Can’t figure out what it could be.... any ideas?
Is the rear seat back (crew cab) latched securely?

OP
OP

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
Try your best to locate the area (may need someone to drive for you). Once you know the area, check for loose bolts or if anything moves oddly. Have you had any modifications in the rear or anything in the bed?
No modifications. It’s been making this sound since day one. I’m going to take the service guy for a drive because they say it doesn’t make the noise when they test drive it. ??‍♀??‍♀

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Is the rear seatback locked back? Providing its a super crew
Sponsored