First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat, 2003 XLT Ford Ranger
Occupation
Beekeeper
I just picked up a 2020 Lariat Quad Cab, and the front two doors sound like I'm hitting an empty oil drum when shutting them. It's a terrible sound and I'm really surprised at how crappy and cheap it makes the pickup seem. I paid $42k for this thing, and it sounds like a freaking Yugo.

I know I can add sound deadening such as https://tinyurl.com/yhelscny, but it seems f'n ridiculous that I would have to pay to do this and spend the time to rip the door apart. Feels like this is something that Ford missed on assembly as the rear doors don't sound like this.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Take it back to the dealer? Or will they just tell me to kick rocks?

Jay

PS - I know that the sound of the doors is typically tuned and has no benefit other than making you feel like you have something of quality.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
usually the door seal is supposed to cushion the blow
are your latches adjusted correctly?
I’m not sure. They shut normally. From the inside of the truck it sounds fine.

How would I verify the latches are adjusted correctly?

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
I just picked up a 2020 Lariat Quad Cab, and the front two doors sound like I'm hitting an empty oil drum when shutting them. It's a terrible sound and I'm really surprised at how crappy and cheap it makes the pickup seem. I paid $42k for this thing, and it sounds like a freaking Yugo.

I know I can add sound deadening such as https://tinyurl.com/yhelscny, but it seems f'n ridiculous that I would have to pay to do this and spend the time to rip the door apart. Feels like this is something that Ford missed on assembly as the rear doors don't sound like this.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Take it back to the dealer? Or will they just tell me to kick rocks?

Jay

PS - I know that the sound of the doors is typically tuned and has no benefit other than making you feel like you have something of quality.
If it really bugs you, here is an inexpensive fix under 20 bucks.

The doors are light and there seems not to be much sound deadening material upfront.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
If it really bugs you, here is an inexpensive fix under 20 bucks.

The doors are light and there seems not to be much sound deadening material upfront.
Thanks. Good video. I'm hoping I don't have to do this as I feel it's Ford's issue, not mine. But good to know this is an option.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Thanks. Good video. I'm hoping I don't have to do this as I feel it's Ford's issue, not mine. But good to know this is an option.
One more... this is more about safety than psychology. People equate a heavy door to quality, not so. I was fortunate to visit the IIHS in person and watched brand new cars get wrecked. Metals have come a long way in terms of energy absorption, that cheap tin sounding door might save your life. I don’t like the cheap sound myself and often chirp at my wife not to slam the door as she exits, over time I got used to it.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/35871...sounds-nice-and-solid-when-it-slams-its-faked

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
One more... this is more about safety than psychology. People equate a heavy door to quality, not so. I was fortunate to visit the IIHS in person and watched brand new cars get wrecked. Metals have come a long way in terms of energy absorption, that cheap tin sounding door might save your life. I don’t like the cheap sound myself and often chirp at my wife not to slam the door as she exits, over time I got used to it.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/35871...sounds-nice-and-solid-when-it-slams-its-faked
You got used to the cheap sound . . . ? Or your wife slamming the door ?

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
My doors sound the same. 2020 xlt. Sounds like im slamming the door each time, and you can definitely hear the hollow like sound. Still wouldn't trade it for any other vehicle out there.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Try a softer touch when closing the doors. They're light and don't take much. My kids are used to mom's car and my FiST, both have heavier doors, and tend to slam the Ranger doors accidentally.

When my brother-in-law got in the first time he closed the door a bit hard. His remark was "well this can't be a Ford, you don't have to slam the door for it to latch." He likes to give me shit.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Yea for whatever reason the Ranger doors are (or at least feel) like the lightest I have ever encountered. Anything more than a gentle shut and you would think I was Andre the Giant slamming them closed with the full force of the galaxy.

200.gif

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Mine seem to sound more “tinny” when I shut the door w the window down. I’m going to remove the door panel and put some automotive expandable foam on the skin and intrusion beam area.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I don’t know about you, but this is my first vehicle that uses aluminum in the body (including doors) and I think that could be why you feel that way

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I don’t know about you, but this is my first vehicle that uses aluminum in the body (including doors) and I think that could be why you feel that way
The doors are steel.
Sponsored